1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Official AMD Radeon 6000 Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by TechPowerUp Forums, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can't help but think that sadly, I am not generally getting good feelings about any of this new stuff anymore, whether it be the 69XX or the 580, seems that even with smaller fabrication processes, bigger transistor counts etc etc, the only way both teams seem to be going with their solutions is to bump up voltages, increase thermals, increase power draws, don't people realise that you can actually increase efficiency without having to plug several 8 pin PCI-E connectors into a card, just look at the Diesel Engine, in the UK, 10 years ago a 2000cc diesel Engine would give you about 90 HP, today they will give you 180+ AND be more fuel efficient in the process, perhaps NVidia and AMD need to go on a factory tour of BMW :D

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
    20mmrain says thanks.
  2. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you 99%. I just wanted to make one minor adjustment....

4. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol, them 30 year old 5.7 litre V8's are hardlly gonna fly any flags for efficiency! I used to drive one in Kuwait, had to stop every 15 minutes to fill her up :roll: think it was a Grand Marquis or something?

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: Times have changed man. I suggest you look up some of the modern V8's. Anyway this could quickly derail the thread. We better shut up!

6. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    totally could but I have to say that people need to look up efficiency, work done vs resources consumed. I'd like to see a prius tow a 6 ton trailer. not to mention ford is canning mercury anyways so the grand marquis is out.

on topic I'm rather hoping efficiency goes up despite the fab process being the same.

7. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it is 2gb and has the bandwidth to use it then that would defiantly be a good, I'm really hoping for the 6970 or 580 to happily play pretty much anything i play maxed out at 5040x1050, admittedly i don't play the most demanding games most of the time so a single 6870 can almost do it :laugh:

9. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    +1 I have noticed this too.... I understand with evolving technology there will be some gained heat and some gained size.

But honestly it has gone way overboard. What happened to the days of parts manufacturers... actually trying something new and keeping things cool and the same size (In terms of PCB for example not having a video card that is not 11 inches long or another brand having to be water cooled even to sell it's overclocked cards.)

I really think allot of this is pure laziness!!! Same thing is happening with coding in video games.

This point was proven to me not too long ago (During speculation of the GTX 580 by Fudzilla) Saying something to the order that "Maybe we have finally come to the point where every enthusiast part will need to be water cooled" That statement there made me feel really discouraged.
    The whole point at one time of making new tech was to make it use less power, Smaller, Run Cooler, Make it simpler, as well as make it more powerful.

It seems somewhere along the line we lost most of those goals with the exception of just making something more powerful.
    Or it seems that companies are just putting out things right now just for the sake of putting out something.

Just My opinion....

Sadly though my opinion doesn't mean I won't buy these over heated, over powered, over sized, products when they release. That I can't stop myself from doing that.... I am already addicted. :)

10. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm curious though how much power and heat would 3.2 billion or 2.15 billion transistors use/produce on a 130nm process? :p

surly the problem is we keep wanting more transistors each gen but in a smaller space each time?

11. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:

Of course there are exceptions to the rule to what I am saying....I am not saying this is what is happening everytime. It just seems it is done more lately this way then not. :toast:

12. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure if you can quite compare cars to GFX cards... but you can't say we havent come a long way in 10 years, for instance take the Geforce 4 Ti series, released in 2002, today you could buy a low end card that consumes less power, has more grunt, and a shiteload more features, its not exactly like were moving backwards. but alas I do also see your point about high end cards, they could be a lot more efficient.

13. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Me too, ordered my 6870 yesterday. Should be here by Monday.

14. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Yep i hope it does have 2GB but hopefully its not too expensive.

Im looking at the 6970 as my next upgrade to replace my 5870. The 5870 still plays everything maxed but what the heck its only money.

Lionheart says thanks.
  15. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I totally hate you people who have jobs right now.:mad::p lol

Luckily i have an interview today.:)

finndrummer and wahdangun say thanks.
  16. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow, thats good mate, i wish you goodluck,

and on the side note, i hope HD 6970 can compete with GTX 580, so nvdia will not price the price like no tomorrow

CDdude55 says thanks.
  17. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure we all know the feeling, seeing others on here upgrading when we have no spare money or no job, i know i have plenty of times in the past :laugh:

Good luck with the interview.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  18. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, like other folk said, good luck dude. But is Male Stripper really your thing?

yogurt_21, CDdude55 and bear jesus say thanks.
  19. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    :roll: I guess people are willing to do almost anything to upgrade these days :laugh:

20. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL! :roll::roll:

+1 :laugh:

21. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    It should. My own personal reaasoning is that Eyefinity requires slightly more than 1GB of vram, and because of 256-bit memory bus, the only way they could accomodate Eyefinity is to increase buffer size on the high-end cards, by doubling up, and going 2GB.

Likewise, 6850/6870 only have one crossfire finger, and 1GB of ram, as they aren't intended to be real Eyefinity cards..they just lack the grunt to push Eyefinity resolutions, and would need three gpus..but at that point, scaling is so horrible that even three cards isn't enough...because truly, in the end, it's all about vram, when it comes to Eyefinity.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  22. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    :laugh::laugh::roll:

23. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

good luck, that first paycheck better be on either a GTX580 or a 6970 or I will lose all respect for you and punch you.

24. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    curious thing about eyefinity edition cards though is how much they mirrior their firegl/firepro counterparts. if the trend follows then caymen will have 2gb ram with a 4gb eyefinity edition released later.

25. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    haha an addict like me, im in denial at mo pretending im waiting for the7xxx series yet praying for something 69xx special lol:toast:

has anyone found there gfx to be limited by cpu mobo and mem yet because its starting to play on my mind that maybe i need new cpu (ive got a q6600 plus 1080ddr2) to increase my gfx performance

5 Million points folded for TPU