1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Official Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Beta Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMailMan78, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    can anyone list how well the game plays for them, FPS, settings and on what hardware?

2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I never go below 43 fps. See specs.

shevanel says thanks.
  3. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    anyone want to add me in game, name is same as here "digibucc" ... would love to play with some TPU members :)

4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    My name is "TheMailMan" I got to drop the 78 :D

5. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    is the game fun?

how are the player models, graphics and phsyics on max?

thanks for the info.. i just dont want to waste another $50.00 on a shitty PC game

edit: yeah i know it doesnt have nv physx.. but it was supposed to have dx11 physics and what nto from the frostbite engine... like all the fence and building destruction possible

6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    oh def not shitty, i promise :) plays great, awesome action, with tons of pretty :) it doesn't have PhysX form what I see, it went the havok route. I believe. no PhysX option that I can find( i don't have a card, but i still see no option for it).

adding you shortly mailman :)

shevanel says thanks.
  7. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I was very happy with this update, they are really working on this hard, almost all of the day 1 complaints are gone now (told you so to naysayers). Just a few more issues and it's going to be running great.

I can't move around with Steam overlay up, I can talk, then I have to shaft + tab to drop it again to move.

8. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    my card doesn't support 11 - but building and fence destruction all work fine for me. as far as the pretty DX11 animations for it, idk :-(

9. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is how the game plays for me (this is partly copied from my post on the steam forums):

Rig

CPU: AMD Phenom II 940 X4 @ 3.3GHZ
    GPU: AMD/ATi HD5870 1GB @ 1000 core 1320 memory
    RAM: 4GB DDR2 1066MHz

Performance

Resolution: 1680x1050

Maximum settings (8xMSAA/16xAF) bloom ON, HBAO ON

min: 29 Max: 83 average: 52

As you can see the setup holds up pretty well at max settings, even when things heat up the framerate only drops to around 39 or so. The minimum framerate recorded (12fps) was due to an apache and tank exploding in close proximity and me running through the smoke for cover. This framerate was only maintained for around a second though, when looking at the frame logs. Importantly, i didn't even notice it was going slow, i was engulfed in smoke and deafened by the explosion.

EDIT: The 12fps dip was actually part of the loading time at the end of the round that i forgot to cut! The data has been edited accordingly.

High settings (0xMSAA/16xAF) bloom ON, HBAO ON

min: 37 max: 91 average: 61

For 'high' settings, the anti aliasing is turned down to 0. Without any slowdown inducing chopper explosions, the minimum framerate stayed very respectable, and the game played extremely smoothly throughout the entire round.

Medium settings (0xMSAA/16xAF) bloom ON, HBAO OFF

min: 35 max: 97 average: 64

Even with HBAO turned off and other settings lowered, there wasn't really a large enough difference between high and medium to warrant any loss in image quality. This may just be due to the gpu handling shadows via direct compute 5.0 though, so older cards may see a larger benefit dropping down from high. Regardless, medium is very playable.

Low settings (0xMSAA/16AF) bloom OFF, HBAO OFF

min: 40 max: 194 average: 75

A much larger difference in visual quality can be noticed when dropping from medium to low, with the detail draw distance reduced to around 20m. Trees will visibly change shape as you run by as they transform from the low detail models to the high. But even at this point, the graphics are still better than bf2, and arguably on par with maxed out MW2 for the most part. As a result, performance increased by around 20% over medium settings.

I've attached a graph of the performance vs. time for the very maximum settings. As you can see it's fairly stable around 40-60fps at pretty much all times.

Btw if anyone would like to add me (at least when the friends list is working) my in-game name is 'The Comfy Chair'

Attached Files:

TheMailMan78 and shevanel say thanks.
  10. aware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone happen to have an extra Key? been looking for the past 2 days and no luck

If u have an extra key u would make my day :D

11. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the forums Aware! Shame you're not living up to your name - this should help you in your quest for a free key.

12. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Just the clarify. When the steam overlay is up, you are not suppose to be able to move. You are technically in Steam at that point and not the game, thus no control. Before the update, the Steam Overlay would not come up at all.

I don't know the exact frame rate. I have everything set to high, AAx4, AFx4. No lag, no gitter, smooth as butter.

13. aware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks and i try like 50 of them they all said in use and i gave up lol thats why i asked :laugh:

14. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Well I finally got to run fraps and show you guys how it does, 4870x2 doesn't even bat an eye, just destroys even at 1920x1200.

[​IMG]

And here's some screens since not too many have been posted up yet, I still have to turn on Bloom, these were taken at the same settings as the fraps bench.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not ll in 1920x1200 size, my picture hosting seems to be messed up so I had to TPU Capture 3 of them, they are in 1920x1200 just TPU capture makes them smaller.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  15. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Go here: http://www.battlefieldbadcompany2.com/beta

Enter your age, and sign up for a chance to get a beta key w/o needing to preorder. Dunno anyone that's recieved a key, but if they release any soon, at least you'll be signed up for it. :toast:

16. Meltdown New Member

Thanks Received:
    is it just me? How do guys feel about the mouse over run or spongeness. reminds me of borderlands mouse smoothing=1 i will look for some ini tweaks

17. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    It's not always there, and disabling Cat AI would mean no CF, granted I'm not sure if the 2nd card is doing anything, but I'm too lazy to find out, and would rather use my 2nd card as I paid for it.

Turn off HBAO in the settings.

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    It doesnt look as sweet without the HBAO settings

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  19. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    no. they are two totally different things. Catalyst A.I. has nothing to do with enabling/disabling CFx.

example: as of this minute I have 2x 4870s in crossfire, with Cat AI disabled. it stopped the flickering and still looks pretty. everything on max in game (except AA, @ x4) and confirmed through CCC that CrossfireX is enabled, and the second card is under load and raising in temp.

20. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I turned mine off, I'm not even sure what it stands for wtf is HBAO? I didn't notice any difference. Oh and here's some screens from a real fun round, check out Most Scored By, lol... mmmmm dog tags.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    TheLaughingMan and 1Kurgan1 say thanks.
  22. scope54

scope54

Thanks Received:
    i cant see any differences between HBAO on/off...

23. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Wow, thanks for the info. I just want to add though, the HBAO may be broken, because those pictures are identical.

24. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    I pre-ordered but didnt get a beta key, any ideas?

25. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Who did you preorder through? EA? Supposedly supposed to send it to your e-mail from what I recall..I went with Steam to ensure less issues, no hassles, etc.