1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Official] Cooler Master HAF-XB Club!

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by t77snapshot, Nov 21, 2012.

1. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Well it's about damn time Newegg! :slap: Thanks for posting this 1ceTr0n :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. pathfindercod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Finally buttoned it up today. Was testing all the components before attempting to make it look pretty.

I first was going to move my older stuff to from a CM Storm Trooper. I decided to just go ahead and put some new hardware in and sold most of the my older stuff. Go this stuffed in the HAF XB:

Asus Maximus V Formula
    i7-3770k
    2 x EVGA 680GTX Classified cards
    2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256gb in RAID 0
    2 x Mushkin Chronos 240gb in RAID 0
    2 x 2TB Seagate 6gbs HD's
    Lite-on DVD burner
    Lite-on Blue Ray Burner
    Cooler Master 1300 watt Hybrid Silent Pro PSU
    Phanteks HSF with three fans
    3 x CM RED LED sickle fans (2 intake one exhaust(
    2 x CM 80mm exhaust on the bottom rear by SSD rack

My idle temp on the CPU is 25-27. It seems to top off at 48-50 after 6 hours of BF3 today. The two classified cards hit 54..Seems to be cooling well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    GreiverBlade, t77snapshot and 1ceTr0n say thanks.
  3. 1ceTr0n

1ceTr0n

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

How are the twin Seagates doing heatwise in the HD hotswap bay? Any issues with the hot swap PCB like some people have griped about on Newegg reviews? Are your lower bay 80mm's intaking or exhausting? And I must ask, why dual opticals? I haven't seen that in....years lol

4. pathfindercod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haven't monitored temps yet on the Seagates. I debated the 80mm fans going in as intake or exhaust and finally opted on exhaust. I decided the main goal of those was to just help suck out any extra heat from the psu and pull a little cool air over the ssd's.

5. pathfindercod New Member

Thanks Received:
    The dual optical is needed because I do alot of video conversion from said and also author blue ray and DVD projects over from my Mac's..

6. Darksword New Member

Thanks Received:
    Project Haswell Box

Just a few quick pics. 140mm Red LED Prolimatech intake fans, 120mm Blue LED exhaust, 2x80mm Blue LED bottom exhaust, Seasonic X750 PSU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

t77snapshot says thanks.
  7. LaMokona

LaMokona

Thanks Received:
    t77snapshot says thanks.
  8. 1ceTr0n

1ceTr0n

Thanks Received:
    Good God those Asus Direct CU coolers are fucking huge....

9. RagingShadow07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I need some advice on what fans to throw up front. I bit the bullet on a second XFX 7970BE because I wanted to do Crossfire, but I'm worried about how hot they're gonna get. Are there any options for a quality set of 140mm fans (preferably red LED) that would be fit for cooling two 7970BE? I'm switching out my H100 for an H80i so I can get more cold air going to them in addition to the 200mm Megaflow exhaust going up top.

10. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    t77snapshot says thanks.
  11. RagingShadow07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm nowhere near the photographer that everyone else in the thread is, but I feel really accomplished doing my HAF XB system. I ended up taking the grill off of my AX850 to get everything to fit, but this is as close to a "perfect" (by my standards anyway) system as I've ever had :laugh:

I'd like to get another LED stick and some sleeved PCIe connectors in black and red. Hopefully they're less rigid than the stock Corsair ones.

[​IMG]

GreiverBlade and t77snapshot say thanks.
  12. LaMokona

LaMokona

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, thing's a beast. Was kinda scared about expanding options in the future but at 100$, I couldn't pass it up.

I would usually opt for some XIGMATEK fans. They move a nice amount of air and aren't very loud.These have red LED's on them.

The Enermax fans I got look sweet (imo) and move quite a bit of air. They are louder than the Xigmatek fans though.

13. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    T77 is doing XB stuff... finally :laugh:

[​IMG]

Removing unnecessary cables for pristine management...

[​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Pandora's Box

Thanks Received:
    So I have this case coming in on Tuesday (hopefully). Been thinking about the best way to setup the fans. I ordered 2 140mm Noctua fans to replace the front 120mm and also ordered a 120mm Noctua for the rear. Got the 200mm fan also. I was thinking about having the front and rear fans all being intake and having the top 200mm fan as an exhaust fan. My theory behind this is that heat rises. I run crossfire 7970's (both coolers are not reference design so heat is expelled back into the case), So I was thinking if I had the 200mm fan as an intake it would just push the heat from the video cards directly onto the motherboards creating a hot spot. Where as if I had the 2 140mm front fans as intake they could push air onto the video cards which could then be expelled via the top 200mm fan as exhaust. Having the rear 120mm fan as intake allows fresh cold air to go directly onto the cpu heatsink. Currently I'm using the stock intel heatsink but I do have a Corsair H50 lying around not being used. If I used that I think it would be best to setup the rear fan as an exhaust fan with the radiator from the H50 attached to it. Thoughts?

15. RagingShadow07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That was pretty much my exact logic when I was putting everything together. It was a big difference in dual-7970 temperatures having an exhaust up top. Using it as an intake only gives you one exhaust, so it seems like heat would build up anyways. I also use a Corsair H80i in the back so that the CPU's hot air is handled on its own. Everything runs a lot cooler than I expected!

16. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Note:

Don't forget that CM intended the (optional) 140mm fans to be installed on the inside only. If you want to mount them on the outside? you may have to trim sections of the plastic front panel in order for it to fit properly.

example
    [​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    It fits only 2 HDD????? OMFG FAIL

18. tastegw

tastegw

Thanks Received:
    How many do you need?

At all, how does the added orange look on this board?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

t77snapshot says thanks.
  19. Boneface

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if im going to add any lighting yet! But heres the new case also having problems with TPU capture so had to post another way lol

Attached Files:

t77snapshot says thanks.
  20. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Nicely done! Welcome to the club Boneface :toast:

Boneface says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    It fits 4... 2 2.5" internally and 2 3.5" in the slots on the front.

22. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, don't forget that the XB is marketed more towards those who use tech benches instead of full towers. Have ever seen a bench that holds more the 2-3 drives on average? no.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Scott66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just put a build together with the HAF XB with Kraken

Hi Everyone
    I put a system together with a Kraken X60 280mm water cooler in a push pull configuration. Had to dremmel away some of the plastic along the inside of the front panel to get the 2 140 fans to fit. I swapped the fans with Be Quiet silent wings. Also put a 120 mm at the back to keep airflow moving.

System went together with a few hiccups as the silicone fan mounts would not work originally. Fortunately with NZXT's screws I was able to get everything attached.

I will post some pictures but with everything black some of the detail will be hard to see. But have a fairly quiet system that I love and when the Haswell components start coming, this will become a serious machine.

I did notice a detailed article on the Green Machine in CPU magazine. I loved seeing the progress of that build in this thread. All the other systems here show some serious affection for this chassis.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  24. Scott66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can. If you replace the front fans you will need to cut out some plastic to make them fit but you will have 11.5 inches for video card. I did mine with fans in the front and back of my Kraken x60 and have about 10.75 inches of room for the graphics card.

25. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Actually you can fit four 2.5" internally and two 3.5" in the front bays for a total of six :)

t77snapshot says thanks.