1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Official Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by CrAsHnBuRnXp, Jan 15, 2012.

1. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Im sure most of you havent heard of this kick ass looking game called Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning so this thread is dedicated to everything that is about it. News, updates, videos, etc. If you find something, please feel free to share it!

Now a little back story on the game:

"Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning™ is a single-player role-playing game for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. Set in the massive fantasy world of Amalur, Reckoning tells an engaging story of discovery, destiny and awakening magic. Reckoning redefines character classes with the unique Destiny system, and its fluid action sets a new standard for RPG combat."

Source

This game has so much to do. If you do everything in the game, including side quests and the main quest, there is close to 200 hours worth of gameplay. It has a total of 6 factions that you can join and you can join them all. You dont have to single any one faction out specifically as they dont seem to be at war with one another. Im sure many of you, like myself, will choose a faction that seems to be more correlated with your character. For example, if you are a Rogue, you can join a faction of Thieves.

What has me more hooked into this game as it is like Fable meets Skyrim/Morrowind/Oblivion which incidentally the lead designer from Morrowind/Oblivion Ken Rolston is helping with the game as well as the Spawn creator Todd McFarlane and best selling author R.A. Salvatore!

Another thing that has me hooked with the game is that you dont have to choose how you want to play the game right off the bat. They give you this character that you get to shape to your liking later on down the road. You get to customize the class you want to play by choosing a "Destiny." The destinies you get to choose from are: Fateless, Fighter, Figher-Mage, Jack of all Trades, Mage, Mage-Rogue, and Rogue. Then there are 3 types of abilities you can choose from which help customize your character further and each time you increase an ability, it also unlocks new destinies.

At this point Ill let you venture out to learn more about it, but first, Ill leave you with these videos which really hooked me in.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/11/15/kingdom-of-amalur-reckoning-destiny-fate-trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph245qWavKs

And last but not least, there is a demo of the game coming out this Tuesday January 17, 2012. If you play the demo, you get to unlock an exclusive armor and weapon for use in Mass Effect 3. Incidentally, it is a cross promotion so if you play the Mass Effect 3 demo, you get to unlock a set of armor in KoA that is modeled after the N7 armor and a set of Onmiblade Daggers!

Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  2. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    The demo is now up on Origin.

3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    No it isn't. :(

4. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    To be honest game didnt impress me much, graphics looks old, gameplay could be good.Still will give a demo a try, but there are betters games out there in 2012 year.

5. copenhagen69

Thanks Received:
    I like the whole shake up on the class system ... hopefully more companies look into this.

I see the demo on origin ... it wont let me download it?

The demo on steam is all jacked up and wont go to the page either.

6. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    What is the DRM?

Origins or Steam, I presume?

7. dirtyferret

dirtyferret New Member

Thanks Received:
    you need origin or STEAM to download the demo

last week PC gamer stated not to hold your breathe on this game and after playing the demo I see why.

1. you can't edit movement keys, hopefully that is fixed with the actual game
    2. your toon moves like he/she is on ice, obviously designed to be played with a controller
    3. console graphics slightly improved for the PC, dual core cpu + ATI 4850 and you are set to max the game out @ 1080p
    4. movement camera could be better, floats a bit too much creating some bad angles during combat

"EA Partners Producer Ben Smith has just finished showing me a demo for upcoming action RPG Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. He was playing it on a PC, using an Xbox controller. He’s the second of Kingdom’s high-profile developers to state the game’s combat – a key feature – works better on a controller.

“I think that the combat really sings on the controller,” Ben states, before realising who he’s said that to, “and the team’s done a really fantastic job of getting a PC control scheme which we’ve user tested a few times now; and continue to learn new things to make it better. It’s actually pretty good.”

He carries on. “It comes very close to giving you all the things at your fingertips that you would have on a controller.” He hesitates. “It’s not… I don’t think… as good… well, I don’t know if that’s the right word. It’s not as… fluid or responsive… but it is good.”"

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-preview/

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  8. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    i've been keeping an eye on this game since i saw it on origin several months ago. i have to agree that the graphics are a bit dissappointing, as well as what im reading about the control scheme. seems skyrim might still be the way to go (no i dont have skyrim yet, swtor has been taking all my time)

9. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Yes it is you have to search for it. Thats how I found it/playing it.

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/...ement-keys-on-PC&p=41258&viewfull=1#post41258

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  10. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Looking forward to another great RPG that isn't the elder scrolls but sadly, I don't believe this is it.

Not very appealing at all.

11. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I find it to be.

12. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I might muster enough interest to try the demo and maybe then I'll enjoy it more but from what I've seen alone, meh.

13. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    You at least have to try the demo in order to pass judgement on it. The only complaint I have on it right now is I cant rebind the movement keys but weve been assured that we will be able to in the full version and so long as I can do that, Im satisfied.

I do have a feeling, however, that the people that love the elder scroll games wont care for this too much graphics wise. Then again, the demo for this game seems to play a lot smoother and doesnt have any of the problems elder scroll games seem to face until the modding community steps in and fixes it.

14. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Assurances from companies affiliated with EA hold no weight.

15. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    You think I work with or am affiliated with EA? Am I reading that right? :laugh:

16. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    No, I'm saying the assurances of the developers isn't 100% bulletproof when EA is the publisher. DICE is really trhe only company developing games that EA publishes that seems to have any say these days. BioWare has quite a bit of freedom with SWTOR, but ME and DA clearly have EA's touch.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  17. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Well I finally got to try it out. It does seem a bit consoleish, I enjoyed the combat, hopefully it becomes a bit more challenging, I was disappointed that my melee attacks stunned the Troll. But the combat felt a bit like GoW, which is great. The world seems pretty open, but not open enough since it seems to lock you into valleys. I think this game could have benefited from a later release and looking a bit towards what Skyrim has done with it's UI, camera angles, voice acting, and a few other areas.