1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Official Pictures from Sony's PSP Go Surface Ahead of E3

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, May 31, 2009.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    More pictures of the so called PlayStation Portable Go or PSP Go for short have surfaced over the weekend days. Specs of the device outline a 3.8-inch display that has 43% more brightness than the PSP-3000, a 16 GB of embedded flash storage, no UMD drive, a Memory Stick Micro slot, built-in Bluetooth and full compatibility with older PSP-3000 and PlayStation's Network channels. The new PSP will probably make first appearance during the upcoming Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) annual trade show for the computer and video games. Check out the official PSP forums here, if you're seeking updates on the PSP Go. A video of the new gadget is also available at Viddler.com.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Source: PSP Forums

2. techjunkie

techjunkie New Member

Thanks Received:
    so what are the specs ?

3. indybird

indybird New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was never a big fan of the first PSP, but this looks promising...

-Indybird

4. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Hardware specs (besides internal flash memory and lack of UMD support) seem to be the same as the current PSP... I see no reason why me or anyone who already has a PSP2000 or 3000 should get this one, except more portability, and problably longer battery life... besides, is it just me, or the location for the analog stick is very akward... :p

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Cheeseball

Thanks Received:
    I'd probably get one when it comes out. Hopefully a custom firmware comes out for it, although the 3000 hasn't even been successfully broken through.

6. techjunkie

techjunkie New Member

Thanks Received:
    seems like a tight fit for people with big hands

7. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't buy this if I already had a PSP. This isn't a next gen PSP, just a nice update that makes it a bit better and keeps compatibility with the current PSP.

8. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    i'll buy it, i wanted a slim psp but they announced this so I'm looking forward to this, time to save money guess my pc parts will have to wait

9. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    This new PSP actually looks really nice.

10. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan

Thanks Received:
    So NOT buying this.

11. my_name_is_earl

my_name_is_earl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agree with the awkward placement of the stick. They should of use the sliding for maybe keyboard and somehow kept the main button on the face instead. I can barely fit the current PSP in my pocket because it kinda huge. Also, It would be sick if it is a touchscreen but then again, it wouldn't be a PSP would it? Another complaint I have is the weight, the iphone felt very solid in my hand and it's hard for me to accept anything lighter because light object let you have a feeling of unsecured and fragile; LG Vu for example (felt more like a toy than a phone). Sony got so many thing wrong on this baby. Further on with my moaning, I've read too many second stick cry on various site so please people, stop with the second stick cry already. This is a redesign of the current PSP and the point is to be portabe and to help online DL grows so it would cost less for the developer and we would have more game that way.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  12. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I hope this time. that Sony wont forget that like their Consoles the PSP needs DECENT games & not just half arsed releases.

I actually liked the PSP (i have a white one) but there seems to be very few games available which i would call decent. Its like they have given permission to anyone who has a few games that fits on a psp disc to release them.

No real thoughts went into making the game.
    its possibly an extremely bad console port or the game is just down right unappealing.

I have owned a fair amount of PSP games in my time & the best ones i still play every now again are Twisted Metal, Powerstone Collections, Streetfighter Alpha 3, Tales Of Symphonia, Final Fantasy Crysis Core.

13. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Too bad the XyZ rumours were false... MS could make a killing with a hand held Xbox variant.

14. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    That looks more like a 2.8" screen. Not that 3.8" was enough.
    I've had a PSP ever since 2005. The joystick kind of broke a few months ago. If I get a new PSP, it will be PSP 3000.

15. Esse

Thanks Received:
    Well good because it is not a replacement for the PSP. It will be sold alongside the PSP-3000.

Sort of reminds me of people asking about the DS Lite vs DSi. Get the DSi if you don't actually own a DS Lite. Sony are just following what Nintendo have done (internal storage, lack of old port and online store).

16. VanguardGX

VanguardGX New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just hope sony come through with GT4 Mobile! Thats the only reason i got a PSP, from what i hear its gonna launch with the PSP Go.

17. z1tu

z1tu

Thanks Received:
    My idea of a "next-gen" psp was with the same sliding action instead there would be a keyboard there and the "normal" buttons would be in their original place, but I think it would have made it bigger somehow. Also remove the UMD, and add 2 memory card slots...this was my idea a year ago

18. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I think this is just a revamp meaning no new games, still it looks like it will have faster wifi

i heard the zune touch will be a gamer too

19. Shadin

Shadin New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is the same ghettoshop pictures that have been floating around for months. Is there any actual proof that this is official?

20. z1tu

z1tu

Thanks Received:
  21. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    I think the major drawback with the PSP is the fact that it only has 1 analog stick which makes FPS/3rd Person games harder to play (because you have to use the buttons as direction keys) :(

22. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    Still PSP's are incredible portables and are highly backed by the homebrew community, if it has a decent cpu in it and more ram, I smell linux.

I still have my 10001 ^^

23. Shadin

Shadin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well if this is official, it's huge fail, and wasted a lot of resources that would've been better spent getting good games to the platform. Your installed userbase isn't going to go and upgrade to the same device that is incompatible with the games they currently own, and if they keep the 3000 on the market then the price on it either needs to come down or this new model will be so expensive it'll turn off a lot of new adopters. Sony blames piracy for bad PSP sales and is expending all resources to combat it instead of making games people actually want to play; yet piracy is rampant on the Nintendo DS and I don't think you'll hear Nintendo complain about their profit margins. Get better at the business or GTFO, Sony.

EDIT - Saw the other post after I posted this. I agree, my 2000-series with custom firmware is my favorite thing ever. Before I hacked it I rarely used my PSP at all. But Sony will never support any type of homebrew development on their platform. This one will probably be "unhackable" like the 3000 series currently is.

24. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    the video is genuine lol

25. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    Possibly, the PS3 still hasnt been 'cracked' has it :(