1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OH NOES! A computer owners worst nightmare!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AsphyxiA, Mar 7, 2006.

1. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    So this weekend i went to a LAN party, and it was awsome except for one thing, SOMEONE JACKED MY RAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No sh*tting either, i left my computer for about 45 minutes to go get some taco bell. I came back and someone told me my computer kept shutting down and turning back on so it was turned off. I went to go turn it on and the boot up screen read, ddr 333 ram with 2.5 CL. WTF mate! Went into bios and changed my settings back, it wouldn't even load the bios and it would screech. So i hit the restart button on the bios and booted up into windows, at least that didn't break. I loaded up cpu-z and amd tweak, and guess what i found. Somone had switched my EL Platinum for a pair of Corsair 512s.:eek: I looked in the case just in case my eyes decived me, sure enough a pair of Corsair value ram sticks were sitting in the DIMMS:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: , and in the wrong places, which explained the ddr 333 setting. My friend was hosting the party but there were about 50 different people there and the lights were out, aparently no one saw the theif. He said that if he couldn' find the culpret that he would buy me a new set. Thats just totally fu*ked that somoene jacked my ram.
  2. bikr692002

bikr692002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well.... umm... that sucks. I don't know what to say to that except don't leave your computer unattended.
  3. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats why u lock ur case... who knows it could have been a video card or a hdd.
  4. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    oh crap...
    that is the worst thing that can happen...that is why I will never take my 24 inch dell to any lan party (not that I could, it is wall mounted now)..and I bought myself these:
    http://www.geizhals.at/a131714.html (german, but that way you get the modelnumber of these screws)

cheers
    DS
  5. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
  6. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Better yet, get a set of these. They're locking case screws.
  7. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah well those are all really good ideas but guess what i just got on my break and guess who had my freakin ram, the guys at work LOL. They new i would freak out, well i guess anyone would with something like that. Now to pay them back got any suggestions?
  8. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those standard size? Good idea. Though I may just drill 2 holes in my case and put a padlock on :toast:

I never leave my comp unattended at a lan, except maybe to grab a soda. Too risky.
  9. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah well those are all really good ideas but guess what i just got on my break and guess who had my freakin ram, the guys at work LOL. They new i would freak out, well i guess anyone would with something like that. Now to pay them back got any suggestions? That wont messup theirs computers or our network...to much.
  10. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fake bluescreen all their comps while they are working on something important :)

If I were running a lan and something was stolen, the door would get locked, lights turned on and all comps and bags would be searched. That shit doesnt fly with me.
  11. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear, that's just... I don't even know. :(

The nerves some body must of had.

-Dan
  12. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:

oh ho im liking that one gimme more!!!!
  13. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Install a remote desktop kinda thing while they are away, and set the password to something youll remember, then you can totally control their comps from a different comp. My school uses this great proggy for this, ill check tomorrow and post what it is.
  14. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Turn their Hardware acceleration off. Go to run > type dxdiag > Display Tab > then disable Direct Draw, Direct 3D, and AGP texture acceleration. You could also move over to the sound tab and move the Hardware sound acceleration slider down. My friends know better than to screw with my computer. They don't know near as much about computers as me. The only way for them to keep me out of their computers is to put a padlock on it. Other wise I can get through their windows passwords, and clear any BIOS password they have. Then I have a free hand to do whatever my imagination pleases. :) I bet your glad that it was someone you know that took your memory though.
  15. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    OUCH. I suddenly feel glad for my Thermaltake Soprano...lock on side panel and lock on front door :D .
  16. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    oh wait, thats what you had...what kind of sick person would take your memory? I was just wondering, what mods did you do to your Soprano? I guess the side panel lock isnt as good as I thought it was...lol.
  17. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    ditto on that, and if need be id be holding my .177 to each persons head i interrogated until i got it back :D this is also why i never go to lans.
  18. myPCrocks New Member

Thanks Received:
    LMAO, my ribs hurt.
  19. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    something i said? :D
  20. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah i was, i was trying to give my case some air flow and that is why they had full access which i knew i shouldnt have done but yeah plus the soprano case i have, the lock is broken. This isnt the first time someone has tried to break in and steal my shit. Someone broke the lock at the last quakecon!!!! havent gotten it fixed.

For my mods on my case, I painted the the inside with a faux chrome spray. Cut a hole in the bottom near the middle and put a 120mm blue lit fan. lined it with blue cold cathoids.

Anyway royally screwed the guys over today. Since we do not bring our computers to the office during work hours, I had to keep the prank within some limits. Also my boss got in on the prank too!:rockout: :laugh: really cool guy he is. I wrote a little program and had my boss send it through email to my friends accounts. Since I knew that they would check their mail at some point during the day. My boss then told each one of then that he sent some work to be done through the email. So when each guy opened up his email and downloaded the the "file", it would automatically "lock" them out of the computer and display a rather believable blue screen of death picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So fucking hilarious!