1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ok lemme drop the bomb, whats the best spyware protection?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by keakar, Sep 6, 2007.

1. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    1) give me your opinion on which is the best anti spyware tools that are available for free.

2) give me your opinion on which is the best anti spyware tools you have to pay for and how much.

help me out here guys because google is all just commercials for hyping their own company's spyware tools and i cant find any "real" comparisons and reviews out there for spyware removers.

2. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    1 - I think ad-aware 2007 is up there, though a mix is always nice for one I dont think will catch everything.

2 - for pay.. hrmm I dont like that lol.

3. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    spybot s&d +adaware, ive heard windows defenders pretty good, but being by microsoft i have my reservations, if they were that competent, we wouldnt need the things in the first place

4. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    A good user.

Spybot search and destroy, AVG Free series, Hijackthis, LSPfix, Adaware, a few rootkit tools, ccleaner, komodo free firewall.

Most are free, some you have to pay for for advanced features, or real time protection. A couple that are non resident a good firewall like Komodo, and a decent Anti Virus is enough for all but the most hardcore downloaders.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  5. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    well im using ad-aware 2007 now but i quit using spybot because they were useless.

ever since 2005 if you run ad aware first then spybot finds nothing so i just use ad-aware now.

if i run spybot first it finds most of it but ad-aware will always find stuff it missed but if you run the ad-aware first then spybot finds nothing. this was confirmed as fact (for me anyway) comparing them over 3 months of testing.

i was using ad-aware and spybot since 2002 but stopped using spybot in 2006.

software changes so fast i figured there must be something better by now.

6. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    i just use avir i.e. nod32

7. Fiream

Fiream New Member

Thanks Received:
    If your system is properly locked down with all unneeded services turned off and software kept updated, none of them should find anything you don't already know about. I run Ad-Aware free and Spybot and neither of them has ever found anything to complain about except the MRU list and a cookie from Excite.com where my main on-line based email is.
    I run (and install on all systems I build or work on):
    AVG free
    Ad-Aware
    Spybot S&D
    ZoneAlarm free
    Google Toolbar for pop-up blocking
    Edited Host file for ad blocking

Just FYI, anyone running the new Ad-Aware 2007 might want to check Task Manager. The new version leaves its service running continuously even when the program is shut down. It's sucking up 24-35 megs of memory and doing nothing since the free version has no "real time" protection. If you change its service to manual instead of auto it won't run until you activate the program though it will stay resident afterwards unless you reboot or manually stop it.
    Fiream

8. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    the free one i downloaded comes with real time protection turned off (because its the free version) so what do you mean by change real time service to manual instead of auto? as far as i know all settings are on defaults.

9. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
  10. Fiream

Fiream New Member

Thanks Received:

If you open Task Manager you will see the Ad-Aware service running even when the program itself is not open. The free version has no real time protection so this service is just running and using valuable resources for nothing. The service can be closed with no ill effects however it will restart if you reboot or reopen Ad-Aware. The service is started automatically every time you boot.

You can change the service to a "manual" start instead of auto and it will only start when you activate Ad-Aware. This will save a pretty good chunk of memory that's being wasted.

To change to a manual start:
    Go to Admin. Tools--> Services--> double click Ad-Aware 2007 Service--> click on "Stop" --> change "start type" from auto to manual and then OK out and you're done.
    The service will start normally when you activate the program and it works fine. To get it shut back down you will either have to go back and manually stop it or reboot.
    Fiream

11. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:

Funny, I uninstall google toobar on every single computer that comes through here. I hate that thing, or any web toolbar for that matter.

also.... install all that on each computer?

12. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    well i see something called "aawservice.exe" and its using 25,888k is that it?

i dont know what you mean by "Go to Admin. Tools--> Services--> double click Ad-Aware 2007 Service--> click on "Stop" --> change "start type"

how do i do this? with task manager or in ad-aware? i dont understand what i should be clicking on.

13. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    right cllick on "my computer" and then click "Manage"

Then drop down "services and applications"

Then click on "services"

Then do what he said about the ad-adware service.

Its the same thing he just said... just a differant way of doing it

keakar says thanks.
  14. Fiream

Fiream New Member

Thanks Received:
    Jeez.... Why wouldn't you? I can understand the Google Toolbar, I'm not fond of them either, but it provides two valuable services and does them both well... for free! Since 99% of users are computer illiterate or incompetent (or both, present company excluded of course) it behooves me to make things as "moron proof" as possible. Google is currently the best search engine out there and their toolbar does an excellent job on popups so why not? It can be uninstalled in all of about 10 seconds if unwanted.

As for the other programs.. sure I install all of them. Why wouldn't I? They are free, simple enough that even the afore mentioned moron can operate them (usually), and best of all they offer world class protection that is even better than the average user needs. Add to all that is the minimal hit on performance and resources (with the exception of the latest Ad-Aware) these particular programs inflict allowing their use on even the slower systems and its a win-win for everyone. I figure it is my responsibility to provide the best protection and best value possible to users who seldom have a clue what they want or need.
    Everybody has their favorites and opinions. Those are mine. You have to do what you think is best.
    Fiream

15. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    ok i did it by right clicking on "my computer" and then click "Manage/services and applications/services"

then find Ad-Aware 2007 Service and in the "status" column right click on "Started" and click "stop"

now under the "startup type" column right click to open up "properties" to change it from automatic start to manual start and then click on OK to save the changes.

i wonder why ad-aware2007 didnt just give us a box to check that turns this thing off?

16. Fiream

Fiream New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, should have been a little more clear:). d44ve has it and thats probably a better way anyhow, particularly with WinXP where Administrative Tools may be rather hard to find.

17. Fiream

Fiream New Member

Thanks Received:
    Because it is an integral part of the program aimed at paid users. The full program is installed even on the free version its just crippled so that other features don't work. As far as the size of this service Lavasoft is currently offering some rather vague explanations along with promises to trim it down in future updates. We may have a long wait.
    Fiream

18. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:

Because most of that is already done with XP SP2.

Why load up a computer with a bunch of stuff it doesn't need?
    And I beg to differ about it having minimal effect on performance. Maybe one of them running will not, but having all those running in the back round will.

Just my 2 cents

19. Kasamax

Kasamax New Member

Thanks Received:
    Won't bother listing free/pay but this is what I use/have used and haven't had a problem with..

Spyware
    Spybot
    Paretologic Antispyware + Xoftspy (SE is updated version)
    Winpatrol
    Adaware/SE

AntiVirus
    Avast
    Bitdefender
    AVG

Firewall
    Agnitum Outpost Pro (with spyware scanner)
    Sygate
    Tiny Personal

Tweak
    X-Setup Pro
    Spybot

and yeah if I see google toolbar even in a notepad file I reformat the machine :D but for other peoples machines the easiest and most unobtrusive programs are usually the best, especially ones that auto run with no prompt and just PROTECT the machine without any effort or input on their part.

20. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I used to use Adaware....but all it picks up after using Spybot is "tracking cookies" which are 99% harmless, unless paired with advert software, which Spybot picks up and removes anyway.

So all I use is Spybot and AVG. That's it. Both work great, never had problems.

21. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    noone else has ever used truesword stronghold before??
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Seriosly this supports all kinds of ant-spyware, antivirus, and etc. its not a standalone program that just blocks spam or just blocks viruses, or just has anti-spyware. Seriously i think that very soon this stuff will be the future of anti-every bad thing for online comuters lol:rockout::rockout: