1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Okay, Sorted out the wires etc, new questions n advice needed (step 2)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Dan2312, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Dan2312

Thanks Received:
    Hi, im sure you remembered my scruffy PC, well this is what it looks like now

[​IMG]

GPU (X1600 pro 512mb) Temps no longer see 70oC but 66oC MAX when overclocked to 630Mhz!
    Id like to say thanks for the advice etc to all those that gave it. :):toast:

Now then, ive done a little search on overclocking my motherboard and all i could find was threads that show me how to solder a few wires about and im not going that far no way!!! so does anyone know how i could squeeze out and extra 200Mhz ~ 400Mhz from my 3GHz Pentium 4 CPU? on an Asus P4V8x-Mx Mobo, Socket 478 Northwood core.

Also my last question is, is it possible to run IDE and SATA hard drives at the same time? :)

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Buy a bottle, no make two bottles of compressd air and blow the crap out of that thing. Your processor is suffocating! Like what you did with the cables.:D

3. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received:
    Yes

and you NEED to clean your heatsink on your proc like erocker said, I cant even see any metal!

4. Dan2312

Thanks Received:
    I intend to do that, when i get an aftermarket fan to replace the standard kit with, But im hoping to see if i can overclock my CPU, if so, then ill definitly change the fan n heatsink etc, I looked into that clock gen, my mobo isn't supported, been into the bios, it won't let me alter the CPU frequency from 200Mhz, so its not looking good, any more options or programs that could let me tamper with it?
    so i can decide whether to replace the standard fan.

Also, one more question, My PSU is 400W, should i consider getting a much more powerful one? im starting to think this is why my puter locks when i push it to far!

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well don't OC it until you clean that nasty heatsink...you'll burn it up and have wasted your time and money...Hell I'd underclock it if you're not willing to clean it...just so it's surely running cool. At stock speeds with that much junk in that heatsink, you've gained probably at least 5c on your temps. Dust buildup will cause lockups, irregular opteration of the PC, and eventually overheating, BSOD's, and PC Death!

400W should be fine for that...even a cheapo 400W should suffice.

Google your MB with OC or Overclock after it and see what you can find.

6. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    the stock fans are useless buy a after market one then oc the bios use the + and - keys to alter the fsb

7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Yep, DR. is dead on. Stock fans are useless during OC...especially that design.

8. Yin

Yin

Thanks Received:
    umm imo ur cables between ur graphics card, sound card? and ur hdds are really messy around there, just push the cables into the empty hdd slots

9. Dan2312

Thanks Received:
    Cheers mate, result, it has over clocked, just only did a little tester, upped it by 5 on the Frequency bus, its handed me 70MHz, ill lower it again, just to be safe,

so next weekend im off to get myself a better fan! Artic cooler,

Erm i just had a tamper with the CPU fan, i can't get it off! i pulled the two levers and it appears stuck, and if i pull it i fear i might damage something, anyone got any instructions? ill do a search and see what i can find but any instant answers would be great. :)

10. JousteR

JousteR

Thanks Received:
    Just hope you did'nt disturb the Paste m8,could be worse then the furr on your HS.

11. anticlutch

anticlutch

Thanks Received:
    Find some Arctic Silver compound remover and use it to take the CPU off of the heatsink. If you can't get the cpu out, and you have tried EVERY other way and there is nothing left to do, pull the heatsink straight up so that if it takes the CPU with it, it'll leave the pins alone. This is really, really, not recommended but if everything else fails, it'll probably be your only choice.

12. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya some types of paste stick far to well and u hate when they do that because u feel like your going to brake something that u would rather not

13. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received:
    What I always do if I cant get a heatsink off is twist it while pulling gently