1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old Chipset die size

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by tkpenalty, Oct 13, 2007.

1. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey guys... I've just got a question, on my P4S800, i have a really small northbridge heatsink, and the thing is, its frying hot. Anyway, to my point, when i took off the northrbridge heatsink, i was met with a black silicon chip, not one of those shined up dies. Im asking, is that "black silicon" just a heatspreader, or is it the actual chip itself?

Reason I ask is because I want to install my NB47 on it, and the footprint of my NB heatsink is smaller than the "black chip". The black chip has a footprint of approxiately 3.25cm x 3.25cm, while the aftermarket northbridge cooler has a footprint of only 2cm x 3cm.

So if I install the NB47, will the uncovered portions of the chip (under my assumption) fry?
  2. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    the "black chip" is the chipset. Not all chipsets are "shined up"
  3. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    i think the x38 is the only chipset with an ihs, all the rest of the chipsets are bare and exposed, so im guessing that huge black thing is like 500nm chipet.
  4. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Err... you guys didn't really answer my question.

"Reason I ask is because I want to install my NB47 on it, and the footprint of my NB heatsink is smaller than the "black chip". The black chip has a footprint of approxiately 3.25cm x 3.25cm, while the aftermarket northbridge cooler has a footprint of only 2cm x 3cm.

So if I install the NB47, will the uncovered portions of the chip (under my assumption) fry?"

^That.
  5. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    i think the cooler would be able to cool the main of the chip enough so that the exposed parts aren't fried.
  6. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    :\
    The black "stuff" is not the silicon die.

It's a ceramic cake used on WBP/BGA (wirebond pin/ball grid array) packaged chips. The silicon die itself is buried inside the ceramic cake with I/O pins pointing outwards with golden wires connecting the chip with the substrate (PCB).

Thus, it should be perfectly safe to use a HS that is smaller than the ceramic cake as the cake effectively acts as a crude heatspreader.
    tkpenalty says thanks.