1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old computer upgrade

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by fryup, May 26, 2008.

1. fryup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, guys

I have an old machine lying about i got about 5 years ago. Have upgraded in it past and it currently has:

Asus P4S800D-X motherboard,
    1gb DDR ram - i told you it was old :)-
    and an awful geforce 6600 agp card.

now im planning to cheaply upgrade it to pass off to my sister and was planning on buying some new ram and graphics. the motherboard does have a PCI-E slot but i inherited the agp graphics card after i blew the original mobo :(

was trying to find out about compatibility issues if i purchased a cheap 8600gt ddr3 card and a new 2gig ddr ram set

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-058-OK

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-006-OK&tool=3

any advice would be appriciated.

cheers

2. fryup New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh yeah and it only has a 300W psu :)

3. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    as long as it can take 2gb then yes, and yes for the 8600gt if its agp, btw what cpu does it have might be worth thinking of upgrading that aswell to maximise its perf one last time. also give ebay a look, why spend £100 on an old rig like that see if you can get a cheaper grfx card x1600xt/x800 for less and some ddr for cheaper if it has 1gb stick just get another value stick with same timings to save buying 2gb. ive never had a problem with value ram tbh, and a lot of times as long as your not overclocking you can normally mix n match

4. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    According to ASUS' website, that motherboard does not have a PCI-E slot so the graphics card you linked WILL NOT work with it. The ram should work just fine.

5. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. fryup New Member

Thanks Received:
    good point dark :) just checked again, for some reason i've always thought it could take a pci-e card. cheers for the links, have always gone with geforce for some reason. cpu is a p4 2.8mhz socket 478. think your idea sounds the better way than payin overprice. cheers for the help

7. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats what the thanks button is for :toast:, btw the ram i shown you, will prbably take a week to arrive but if you dont mind waiting i can vouch for that seller, and 2gb and the x800xl i posted or similar would give that comp the best boost you could give it, other than that might aswell invest in a new comp

fryup says thanks.