• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old drive

So I just installed an old WD 10GB drive on my secondary PC. I want to try out Ubuntu and I found this drive somewhere and thought it would be perfect. When I boot it up it says IDE device not found or something like that. I press F1 to continue and in windows the drive works just fine, I've formated it to NTSC and I'm just listening to some music I've copied on it. So the drive does work. What am I doing wrong? I've pulled the jumper out as it wouldn't work otherwise. Should I put it to slave or what?

intel igent

System Name old school / new school
Processor 3.0e C0 @ 3.6 / e5200
Motherboard p4p800e-dlx / p5q-DLX
Cooling custom water see sig / air
Memory 2x1g oczPC4000EbPl / 2x2g ocz2rpr1066
Video Card(s) 3850AGP / 4890vaporX
Storage 36g raptor+120g wd / wd 1001fals 1tb
Display(s) BenQ / sharpAQUOS LC-37D64U
Case modded antec plusview / generic
Audio Device(s) audigy 2zs / ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3
Power Supply fan/cable modded powerstream 520 / OCZ 700mxsp
Software Xp pro SP2 / VISTA ultimate OEM
IIRC you should set it to slave as it is a secondary dive, may have to go into BIOS and setup your boot order :eek:

mmkay. Set it to slave and changed the BIOS so it will only boot from primary SATA drive. Now it says Slave drive not found. Still works in windows though. What could be wrong with it?

Edit:I had to reset my BIOS now as it wouldn't recognize my DVDROM and was still looking for the HDD in it's place. I dunno what to do with it? Maybe just throw it away? Or smash it against a wall?

Last edited:
System Name MSI apache ge62 2qd
Processor intel i7 5700HQ
Memory 12 Gb
Video Card(s) GTX960m
Storage 1TB
Display(s) Dell 24'
Is the cable good?
Windows Xp can detect a drive eventhough its disabled in the BIOS. My old system used to have trouble detecting a particular IDE drive but the problems reduced after changing the cable.

The cable is good. The DVDROM works. I dunno, I've played COD4 all night, let me try it one more time. If not it's the hammer.