1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old hardware ???

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Eric_On_Web, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric_On_Web New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want to know if I should enable or disable the level 2 cache ecc checking on my P3 1.26 tualatin?

Onboard SiS 7018 was it a good onboard sound and was it demandaing or not on the cpu?

Should I enable or not the CPU pipeline control?

Specs under my avatar before you ask.

Thx :)
  2. user21

user21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the L2 cache ECC < ECC stands for error checking and correction! i think its not that big deal enabling or dissabling it it would just wipe out errors!

and as for CPU pipeline control
    if you know cpu pipelining feature its just like information is divided into small sets and then calculated its faster! enabling its control is a feature in your bios to treat it the best way possible, try it and rpely with any changes you'v seen! enable and check the performance monitor in the task manager under certain on going operation of cpu
  3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Apart from the thread title being vague. I'm confused, why are you bothering with a Pentium 3? Plenty of people will probably ship you something faster for just the shipping costs. People dump P4's/Athlon XP's all the time.
  4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    ECC Disable it. Not sure about the CPU pipeline control cant remember. What ever the default setting was. But seriously that old stuff was a pain in the ass
  5. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    never been nostalgic? he's setting it up as a legacy gamer, he has a much newer and faster rig, but puts the old one in the system specs as that's what he's working on right now and it makes it easier for those trying to help him.

on that note though, this could have easily been googled

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III
  6. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    and even better... i posted on another thread but i guess it wouldn't hurt to put it here. the chipset in question driving everything is the SiS630. I beleive the sound had some pretty decent features, but were removed with the winxp drivers. dunno why, guess they figured the cpu needed to pay more attention to the (then new) OS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiS_630/730

this should help too

so if you want better features for your legacy games, I'd stick with Win98SE
  7. Eric_On_Web New Member

Thanks Received:
    Driver still indicate SiS 7018 in system panel but there is nothing else installing and the only control panel is the one normally in winXP. I tried with ECS manufacturer drivers and SiS drivers...for Video,Lan and Sound and sme of them are newer on SiS website.

I sold my other newer rig before it lost most of its value on the market and it was around 1.5 year old. I know computer parts lose their value i'm not stupid so i'm shopping for stuff and looking for cheaper parts for what i have to do and thats it. Look a full rig for me cost around 400$ so its not a big deal. Thats why im still using that reliable but slowass p3 :p
  8. user21

user21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i dont know in what sense your assuming this machine to be reliable! for sake of truth yes i also have p3 1gig with 256mb and 20gb MSI mainboard works gr8 but the moment i turn on my 915 things change even with the slowest celeron is much more reliable then old p3. both of these are for backup purposes! but reliability is seen in pentium4+ old p3 cant do good out of its best :)
  9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    We've been down this road with him before.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Eric_On_Web New Member

Thanks Received:
    For pure fun only and not everyone crave the super-duper-hyper powerful computers. I'm a problem solver and I like old computers,shitty cars with problems to repair and logical problems. That's just how i'm made and I like it that way.
  11. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    are you having trouble finding drivers? the driver for the sound will probably say 7018 since that's the name SiS gave it. However what the driver supports (basic AC97 audio) is what's different with XP. Basically SiS got lazy with support when XP came out. AC97 audio is still fine for everyday use though. If you want better sound you can probably find a cheap soundcard somewhere.

As long as there are no "?" (or any other yellow icons) next to the device names in the device manager and everything is working fine then you should be ok.
    Eric_On_Web says thanks.
  12. Eric_On_Web New Member

Thanks Received:
    Everything is fine and i wasnt sure about sis but when you told they bcame lazy now i understand thx :p
  13. user21

user21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :respect:
  14. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Dont you need ECC ram to run it in ECC mode?
  15. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    his board seems to have the option to use ECC on the L2 cache of the cpu. I guess it could also do it with the system ram as well. I think that particular PIII might have been designed for server use. (Tualatin)

"The third revision, Tualatin (80530), was a trial for Intel's new 0.13 µm process. Tualatin-based Pentium IIIs were released during 2001 until early 2002 at speeds of 1.0, 1.13, 1.2, 1.26, 1.33 and 1.4 GHz. Tualatin performed quite well, especially in variations which had 512 KB L2 cache (called the Pentium III-S). The Pentium III-S variant was mainly intended for servers, especially those where power consumption mattered, i.e., thin blade servers."

from a wiki page about the PIII.

but for ECC on the sys ram you'd need ECC capable ram.
  16. Eric_On_Web New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know that the ram is a 512megs apple pc133 SYNCH and a 128megs Samsung pc133 SYNCH
  17. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Are you looking for a sound card for that rig, I may have one. I don't recall, is it a pci slot or that old long brown or grey slot; ....PCM___? slot.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  18. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    ISA slot is what your thinking. It may not be that old
    jsfitz54 says thanks.
  19. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    I think you were thinking PCMCIA, but that's a laptop slot (cards you slide in the side).

I think his board has both 16bit ISA (sometimes called EISA) and PCI.

http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/ecs/P6stmt.htm

the short stubby brown one is AMR i believe... something used mostly for modems... it died faster than "firewire"

it is...
    jsfitz54 says thanks.
  20. Eric_On_Web New Member

Thanks Received:
    There was 2 version of my mobo the 1.0 and 1.0A The 1.0 had no ISA slot and its what i have. Thax for sound card but i got 3 here already.
    jsfitz54 says thanks.
  21. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    Ah ok, the link u posted on the other thread must have been for the other revision.