1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old HDD from Compaq with Win 7 32-bit transfer to HDD with Win 7 64-bit?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Ray_Rogers2109, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Ray_Rogers2109

Ray_Rogers2109 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My Compaq got screwed when the power went out for a hour and a half on Saturday. I'm on my housemates computer typing this.
    I still have data on the 500GB HDD from the Compaq but it has Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. For the computer I'm building in August, with the USB 3.0 enclosure can I transfer data from the old HDD to the new computer which will be Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit? Asking because the older HDD of course has a sign-in for the Operating System and just wanting to transfer all the data I want to keep from it.
    I stripped down the Compaq so now all I'd need to do is get the CPU and RAM for the computer I'm building. What should I do about moving the data over from the 500GB HDD from the Compaq? I already have the 1TB HDD already in the 3.5" drive bay in the new computer, but blank.
    Can I still move the data from the 500GB HDD with Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit to the new 1TB HDD which will have a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit? Any suggestions? I only have the two drives right now.
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can. Just install Windows 7 x64 on the new HDD and get it all setup. Then install your old HDD, boot up with the new HDD and you can transfer the data you want over.
  3. Ray_Rogers2109

Thanks Received:
    Just have the new HDD have Windows 7 x64 THEN put in the older HDD with Windows 7 x32 as the secondary drive to trasnfer data from it to the drive with Windows 7 x64? But what about the sign in for the Windows 7 x32 drive?
    After all data is transferred over just reformat the HDD with Windows 7 x32?:confused:
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The old drive will just show up with folders and files in it. Since you're not booting from it there's no need to log in to it.
    Ray_Rogers2109 says thanks.
  5. twilyth Guest

off topic, but I can't tell if you are planning to use the old Compaq case and power supply. If so, you need to make sure the PSU has the juice for the new rig.
  6. Ray_Rogers2109

Thanks Received:
    No, ONLY the HDD from the Compaq to move the data over, that's it. Maybe to reformat the HDD as extra space or to still buy the enclosure and use it for random stuff. I completely disassembled the Compaq and will be selling the parts to help fund the dedicated graphics card.

Thanks erocker! I'll let everyone know how it goes in August.:rockout:
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Just a tip, you might want to turn UAC off when you do this. Otherwise Win7 can sometimes be a bitch about reading data from another Windows installation, particularly folders in the "Users" folder.

Alternately you can enable the "true" administrator account hidden in Win7 and do it through that.
    Ray_Rogers2109 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD