1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old member, new build... help me get caught back up!

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by garyinhere, Apr 30, 2014.

1. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    I've been away from computers for a while now. Just plugging away at my old one. But, I need to upgrade... this is where you come in (if you don't mind helping). I need to get a new rig built but, like I said I've been away and don't even know what systems, procs, or mobo's, gpu's are current? I'm leaning towards intel, nvidia, and lots of memory. I also have never used Win8... would you recommend it or stick with 7?... I'll be researching this stuff too, I just need a place to start. I work HEAVILY in Photoshop so anything to help in that area would be awesome! My budget is $1700. I don't need keyboards, mice or anything like that... I will mostly need help finding:
    Mobo that's EASILY overclocked
    Ram the more the better
    GPU a decent one that will last me a few years... I'm not gaming so don't have to be the baddest.
    Proc I leave that one to you... I'd like a good one that'll last me several years and easily overclockable.
    SSD I have no idea where to start on this one either... not the top of the line but a good one with a decent amount of space.
    Power Supply Not the baddest, just a quality one.
    Current system is in my specs... if you dare to see how old it is!

brandonwh64 says thanks.
  2. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    To me anyway (since I am in the same boat I have been a way from it sort of) sounds like you'd benefit from a AMD setup like a AMD FX 8350. Heard they do well in applications like photoshop, maya, video editing, etc. but I saw reviews and the i7 4770k still kills it in that department so I don't know. My vote is towards AMD cause it's cheaper and you can save some cash in the process? Saving is always good right?

heres a place that did reviews on stuff http://us.hardware.info/reviews/515...pu-benchmarks-igpu-adobe-photoshop-cs6-opencl

yeah I'm not very awesome at stuff, lol but I helped!

garyinhere says thanks.
  3. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    You have a pretty big budget you could probably fit a 4930K into that and an R9 280X with 16GB of ram that will be pretty much the best you can get

garyinhere says thanks.
  4. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth, MSI GD65, Gigabyte UD5 - all easily overclockable
    RAM - 16GB of 1600mhz CL9 RAM (preferably 2 x 8GB sticks)
    GPU - 280X or GTX 770, brand of your choice
    Processor - 4770K or 4930K depending on requirements (gaming, encoding)
    SSD - Samsung EVO 256GB or more
    PSU - Sea Sonic G-series 550W minimum, any Sea Sonic or Enermax OEM PSU with at least Bronze rated. You can get a 650W Gold Rated PSU for a reasonable price, but 550W will provide more than enough power.

This will not be that expensive, besides the processor choice.

garyinhere says thanks.
  5. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah gary with that budget you can really go top of the line here

garyinhere and RCoon say thanks.
  6. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    my first suggestion for a build- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Bg7c

To the people saying $1700 is enough for a 4930k build, that is where I started, and ran out of money. If I can drop the GTX 770 (which I would only recommend if Gary does not game), a 4930k system with something like a GTX 750 or HD 7770 would be possible.

garyinhere and RCoon say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. burebista

burebista

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, he's working on PS and he's not gaming at all so I guess that a 770 is a "little" bit overkill. He can use integrated GPU. :)
    I know that for PS you basically need a strong/fast CPU and loads of RAM. A good/large SSD won't hurt too.
    He also speaks about OC so a nice cooler should fit in his config.

garyinhere says thanks.
  8. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    +1, legit reasoning here
    If OP does not game at all, midrange GPU would be best. From personal use, only filters in photoshop can be CUDA accelerated, so GPU acceleration in photoshop is not all that prevalent.

garyinhere says thanks.
  9. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    another question for Gary, are you upgrading your existing system, or are you building a whole new system and keeping the X58 system as a secondary system? Can we suggest the reusing of components in your existing system for your new system (case, DVD drive, and GPU)

garyinhere says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    If you are a heavy Photoshop user, you need to figure out if your version of Photoshop benefits from any GPU acceleration (CUDA, Open GL, Open CL, etc.) and make your CPU and GPU choices based on that. That is the place to start.

garyinhere says thanks.
  11. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    keep your system you have now, add more ram, newer gpu and faster storage

garyinhere says thanks.
  12. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    following Athlons post, then pocket like $1000 for the most part! Why blow $1700 for that?

garyinhere says thanks.
  13. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can get hookers and beer with the leftover money bro.

14. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    I think now would be a bad time to upgrade with X99 right around the corner.
    How about I go along with the more recent posts and suggest upgrading your CPU and RAM. 1366 processors are 1/3 of what they used to be. 970/980X/990X will give you 6 cores/12 threads on 32 nm verses your 4 cores/8 threads on 45 nm.
    If only this were a few months ago. There were some real deals on my local CL....

garyinhere says thanks.
  15. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    I'm building a qhole new system... The X58 will most likely be sold minus the SSD, Hdd's. Some things will be reused like the DVD and possibly the Case *it's a testbench so I'm unsure if I want it in a tower or not.
    I want to build one that will last me another 4~5 years. It's not so much as blowing it as much as it is investing it.
    Oklahoma hooker's are toothless.... Oklahoma beer is 3 point... I'll pass on both ;)
    I'm not worried about the Next Big thing around the corner. Anything is an upgrade compared to what I have atm.

What do you guys think about Win8? Should I stay with Win7?

16. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Teeth are overrated. Ivy Bridge is simpler to overclock than Haswell from all accounts I've read. But either a 3770k or 4770k and a good MB will keep you going for a while. The jump from your Wolfdale chip to either will be amazing.

I say stick with 7, mainly for driver support and Win 8 is a really messed up interface (in many aspects). Win7 is still somewhat of POS depending on what you're doing (read: file search).

Are you not gaming at all?

17. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I have found as long as you don't enter the account details to use metro for everything, with 8.1 (free upgrade from 8) it just drops me at the desktop and away I go just like in 7. As long as you don't mind using the search feature to set things up for easier access to things later, its fine!

18. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:

Noob...:

[​IMG]

19. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    X79 really isn't that much better than X58. It's 2011 technology.
    BTW, the GTX 460 will be fine in your new build.

IMHO, if you're going to get a 1150 system, go ahead, there really isn't that much difference with theZ97 chipset over the Z87 chipset (or the Z77 even). On the other hand, I would wait for the X99 over the X79. Is 6 months all that long to wait? http://www.techpowerup.com/199331/i...s-of-the-first-wave-of-9-series-chipsets.html

20. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    How am I a noob, I don't sign in or close any apps :confused:

21. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yo garybackinhere!

garyinhere says thanks.
  22. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Why is being a noob bad?

:p

Just showing what you change so it goes to desktop automatically, even with PSWD enabled. 8.1 only though, of course.

23. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I just don't dig anything about the tile system, and wanted to bypass it all together, so when I boot the PC I am on straight to the desktop without all the fuss.

24. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    IMO if X99 is anything like Z87 when it comes to OCing I think you'd be better of with X79. Also haswell-e 8 cores will be expensive as hell so you'll probably get a 6 core in which case an X79 six core will be almost the same and probably clock better. Also DDR4 is gonna be extremely expensive and not much faster than 2400+mhz DDR3 when it comes out. As for motherboards if you go X79 there isn't much choice beyond the ROG Rampage IVs when you aim for really high clocks but if you just want 4.6 to 4.8Ghz then the Gigabyte X79 UP4 makes a great budget option if you want more features go for the Gigabyte UP5 or the ASUS X79 Deluxe. The only real negative of X79 is that it doesn't have many SATA III ports most boards come with 4+ by using Marvell SATA controllers.

25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, so that option in the red box allows for that, with pswd. Was one of the few changes that 8.1 brought. I don't like the tile system either, but as far as OS goes, I have a hard time recommending Win7 after using Win8.1. I didn't use start menu in Win7 anyway. Adding in FastBoot and a few other features makes Win8.1 far more useful to me than Win7. I won't be using WIn7 for reviews any more, even.

As to what hardware is best.. I can't talk about that. :roll: Interesting to see people's thoughts though.

garyinhere and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.