1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old OS on HDD, hard drive failures and issues, need help badly.

Discussion in 'Storage' started by pepsi71ocean, Jun 27, 2008.

1. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok guys heres the low down.

I got my DFI Blood Iron board today and after setting everything up and troubleshooting other issues(apparently 1stick of ram is bad, thats a different story) i found out i couldn't rum memtest86 to test how good my other stick of ram is handeling i think it had some bad sectors as well. A word of caushion about 680i boards, they do eat ram. In the midst of these issues and speaking with Sneekypeet(thanks for all the help so far) we have come to the conclusion that its time to as TPU for help.

Ok heres the set up

I have two Physical hard drives, they are a pair of Seagate Barracuda's 500GB with 32MB caches on both hdds (not 16mb).On the first hard drive i have a C and a F Drive, the c is aroudn 50GB and the F is the remainder of the HDD. The Second HDD had a I and a G Drive, the I drive is around 8(or 10GB) im not sure, but it contains the windows system paging file. The G drive is whats left over ont he hdd's of course.

I also have a few older IDE hDD's that i can use, however they aren't anywhere near the size or capicity that is required for moving files to the ide hdd's.

EDIT:The OS on the c drive is still formatted for the evga 680i mobo, however the Blood Iron is a P35chipset.

The Problem

When i boot up i get the boot order, and it goes from 3.5 floppy, to cd/dvd drives then to the hdd's however i get this error "DISK BOOT ERROR: INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

From what i gather its mostt likely a whipe and reinstal the os on the HDD however i don't want to loose the data on the hard drives.

The talk about repairing the os has come in to question along with creatition a partition on the second hdd (ie G Drive) and then trying from there. If a partition was created on G then you would have to whipe the complete drive in order to get rid of it right?

Thats all i can think about right now,
    Any suggestions or help would be appreciaed greatly.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    Are you trying to boot from the floppy? Cuz thats the reason right there. If there is no floppy to boot from, it will say that message.
  3. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Memtest 86 program is on the 3.5 floppy. and that was the dos version which is all set up tom run, it works ive used it in multiple computers.

Something is not adding up.
  4. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I were you and you are wanting to just keep your file system intact I would go into BIOS and set the Boot devices first: this means select the physical drive you want to boot from first: likely the drive that has your OS. Then set the Boot Order to your CD ROM 1st, then HDD. Insert the Windows disk and fire uip the rig: it should boot from the Windows CD. Depending on the OS Windows will detect the installation and you will eventually be given the option to R Repair the exisitng installation. Press R and let Windows fix the MBR and repair any missing files.

Then go ahead and set the Boot Order HDD 1st and disable any other Boot device. This will get you into Windows (maybe need SAFE mode) and will let you uninstall the old drivers and install the new ones.

Hope that helps.
  5. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    What kind of files are you trying to save ? A repair or even a fresh install will leave most of your old files intact. Of course you would have to re-install any applications . Some games will run okay though , even after a re-install.