1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old pentium 4 3.0ghz 775 processor?? need now MOBO

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ghost28, Mar 31, 2010.

1. ghost28 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Old pentium 4 3.0ghz 775 processor?? need new MOBO??

hey guys....i have an old HP A824N desktop which was the first new computer i bought myself years ago...the PC and i have been through alot together and it is the pc that got me into building and modding PCs so i kinda wanna keep the old girl around...

my issue is that although it still runs ok for what it is i want to change the motherboard out for one that gives me more control (plus this one got zapped one night in a storm and blew out about 10 Caps on the board and the PSU which i replaced and the rig has run non stop for 2 years since so i am skeptical of its life left)....i dont want anything crazy just a simple new board with on board graphics in a micro ATX to replace whats there and use my old case, processor, PSU,and opticals....i know i will have to reinstall windows and since i replaced the hard drive with a larger one about a year ago that is good too....

my questions are below...

1- can i use any socket 775 motherboard??
    2- what ram can i run?? am i limited to ddr or can i run ddr2 and is there a max GHZ i can run??

thanks in advance:rockout::rockout::rockout::rockout:
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  2. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    You have to look out for a board that supports it. I got a p4 775 running on an GB ep-43 right now as we speak (belongs to a mate). As for ram, the same thing, it'll depend on the board.
  3. ghost28 New Member

Thanks Received: