• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old School hardware question-939

p_o_s_pc

F@H&WCG addict
System Name el'lappy|Cruncher | Cruncher 2
Processor intel C2D T6400 | i7 3770k @4.2ghz | AII X2 220 @3.4ghz
Motherboard some Acer | Asus P8Z77-V Pro |Gigabyter GA-M61p-S3
Cooling dual 80mm cooling fan | WC'ing ) |cheapo
Memory 2x2gb ddr3 | 2x2gb Ripjaws 1600 |4x512mb D9s
Video Card(s) onboard | 60 1GB(hd7770 ) |8800GTS
Storage Momuntus xt 320gb |Kingston Hyper X 120gb SATA III|500gb WD
Display(s) 17in | 42" 1080P HD 3D TV
Case lappy case | CM HAF XB |none yet
Audio Device(s) onboard | onboard | onboard
Power Supply Dell brick w/ acer end end | Antec EW 650w |Antec SP 350w(upg.soon)
Software Windows 7 Ult. 64bit---->------->
Does it just glue back on?

GIGABYTE GH-PCU22-VG 105mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Been using this cooler FOREVER, my bro has the same one.

you could use some thermal paste on the die and some kind of glue around the outside of the chip to hold it on but you have to be careful because if you get the glue too think then the die won't make contact with the IHS and that will cause you to have no cooling for the CPU at all.
does your heatsink use a mounting clip like the stock cooler or does it bolt on?

System Name gamer/htpc (light gamer)
Processor i7870/i3530
Motherboard EVGA LE/Gigabyte hn55-usb3
Cooling stock/stock- for now
Memory 4g gskill/4G gskill
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 570/Gigabyte 560
Storage 7200 hard drives
Case Full ATX tower/SugoB mitx
Audio Device(s) intagrated/intragrated
Power Supply 750W silverstone/300W mini ITX
I have 5 S939 systems in my house. The difference between the single and dual core is stunning. IF you can get a dual core at a decent price, go for it. Also, an upgraded graphics card will do wonders as well and don't worry about it being PCI-e version 1. Upgrading everything will cost at least $400, so $50 is well worth it. I believe the idea with removing the heat spreader on these chips is to increase cooling, but you must be very careful not to put too much pressure on them as that was also part of the heat spreader's job. I would not worry too much about the RAM. Finding 2x2 DDR1 will really set you back some dough.

Thanks for the input- I am thinking for 50, it would be worth a shot- just mabey not the one with the heat spreader taken off!

you could use some thermal paste on the die and some kind of glue around the outside of the chip to hold it on but you have to be careful because if you get the glue too think then the die won't make contact with the IHS and that will cause you to have no cooling for the CPU at all.
does your heatsink use a mounting clip like the stock cooler or does it bolt on?

Clip of some kind...... Thinking taking the metal part off is not really a good idea!!! if you put the clips on will it not pull at an angle and break it?

p_o_s_pc

F@H&WCG addict
System Name el'lappy|Cruncher | Cruncher 2
Processor intel C2D T6400 | i7 3770k @4.2ghz | AII X2 220 @3.4ghz
Motherboard some Acer | Asus P8Z77-V Pro |Gigabyter GA-M61p-S3
Cooling dual 80mm cooling fan | WC'ing ) |cheapo
Memory 2x2gb ddr3 | 2x2gb Ripjaws 1600 |4x512mb D9s
Video Card(s) onboard | 60 1GB(hd7770 ) |8800GTS
Storage Momuntus xt 320gb |Kingston Hyper X 120gb SATA III|500gb WD
Display(s) 17in | 42" 1080P HD 3D TV
Case lappy case | CM HAF XB |none yet
Audio Device(s) onboard | onboard | onboard
Power Supply Dell brick w/ acer end end | Antec EW 650w |Antec SP 350w(upg.soon)
Software Windows 7 Ult. 64bit---->------->
Thanks for the input- I am thinking for 50, it would be worth a shot- just mabey not the one with the heat spreader taken off!

Clip of some kind...... Thinking taking the metal part off is not really a good idea!!! if you put the clips on will it not pull at an angle and break it?

since it is a clip it might not make good contact with the core and *could* damage the chip. I would buy it and put some thermal paste like alittle MX-2 or some other quality paste on the die and stick the IHS on it and use alittle super glue or something on the outside of it to hold it on and clip your heatsink on BEFORE the glue drys to act like a clamp and keep pressure on it but then you could end up with glue seeping out of it and into the socket so maybe try just letting it sit on there and use the heatsink's pressure to hold the ihs in place <--i would try that mayself