1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old School hardware question-939

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Zebeon, Jul 20, 2010.

1. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    you could use some thermal paste on the die and some kind of glue around the outside of the chip to hold it on but you have to be careful because if you get the glue too think then the die won't make contact with the IHS and that will cause you to have no cooling for the CPU at all.
    does your heatsink use a mounting clip like the stock cooler or does it bolt on?

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Zebeon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the input- I am thinking for 50, it would be worth a shot- just mabey not the one with the heat spreader taken off!

Clip of some kind...... Thinking taking the metal part off is not really a good idea!!! if you put the clips on will it not pull at an angle and break it?

3. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    since it is a clip it might not make good contact with the core and *could* damage the chip. I would buy it and put some thermal paste like alittle MX-2 or some other quality paste on the die and stick the IHS on it and use alittle super glue or something on the outside of it to hold it on and clip your heatsink on BEFORE the glue drys to act like a clamp and keep pressure on it but then you could end up with glue seeping out of it and into the socket so maybe try just letting it sit on there and use the heatsink's pressure to hold the ihs in place <--i would try that mayself

Zebeon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU