1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old Socket 775 user need help.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Animalpak, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Lately there are many hardware upgrades,and I know very well that I should change some things in my system "big things" !

So guys help me to understand because I have an old CPU and motherboard...

Give me a test or a site that verifies the fact that my CPU and chipset are the bottleneck to my video card.

I need to know this to have a good reason to make an improvement to my system.

Frankly, this is enough for me and i wil do for the next months.

See my system specs. :cool:
  2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Look at my specs... I'm perfectly happy and have been playing Crysis at 1920x1200 max settings. I have no need to upgrade.

If you upgrade to SB, you're going to notice the system overall is much faster on boot and loading applications. Other than that for games, you won't notice much except better benchmark numbers.

That's my $0.02

Edit: If you crunch, program and compile, you will notice a difference, but nothing related to a GPU bottleneck.
    Animalpak says thanks.
  3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
  4. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Animalpak says thanks.
  5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Correct me if I am wrong though, could easily go between Anandtech and get a rough estimate of what you're looking at.
  6. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    With my testing of a Pentium Dual Core E6600 (a 3.06GHz/2MB Wolfdale) on a G41 DDR3 platform and a PT880 DDR2 platform, I have determined that it bottlenecks a GTX 550 Ti (even when overclocked to 3.8GHz) in TF2, although that game is extremely biased towards CPU usage.

However, you have a 4GHz Q9650 and DDR3 so you're still very well off. In TF2 it would probably bottleneck the 580 with Multicore Rendering enabled, but you would have over 60 FPS so not really a bottleneck. I had a 955BE @ 4GHz/DDR3 1800 which is comparable and it did handle games at 60FPS with an HD 5770, however I don't think even with a 6950 it would be able to hold 120FPS in TF2. I think with VSYNC off my 4.5GHz 2600K and 6950 do 150-230FPS in the game, and my AMD system could only do about 90-110 if I recall. I don't have any hard evidence, though, but considering my AGP rig with that 955BE @ 3.6, 4GB DDR2 800 and a 3850 AGP is getting 60 easily my 5770 could probably be written off as being fast enough to do at least 120FPS in TF2.
    Animalpak says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. Finners

Thanks Received:
    I noticed with my Q6600 @ 3.4 + GTX 470 system I couldn't get 100% GPU utilization in BFBC2 at the time. SB came out and i upgraded then it was a constant 100% usage. V sync off obviously

What do you get in games?
  8. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    What is a bottleneck, 1FPS? Maybe 3FPS? Get real. A Core2Quad @ 4Ghz will handle any GFX card quite easily :cool:

Shit even a quad @ 3.6Ghz is plenty fast

if you got $$$ to burn and an itch to scratch go ahead and upgrade otherwise you'll be fine with what you got, maybe bump the GFX card if necessary ;)

Just my $0.02 of course :eek:
    Animalpak says thanks.
  9. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    This may help: http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/a...cking-Memory-Timings-and-More/9#axzz1a2BN96UY

Madshrimps.be compares the following cpus: AMD 965BE/1090T@4ghz, Intel QX9650@4Ghz, Intel i760@4ghz and Intel 920/950 and 970@4Ghz (no 4.050 Ghz Q9650, but I guess it's pretty close to that QX9650 that's clocked at 4.0 Ghz). The C2Q is slower than the Nehalems as shown in the tests, but it's still faster than the Phenom II X4 965 that's also clocked at 4.0 Ghz. I think you can play most games fine with a 4.0 Ghz Q9650 and GTX580, but if you really want maximum performance, especially getting the most out of the GTX 580 in games, then perhaps consider an upgrade to an Ivy Bridge (DDR3 ram is still quite cheap now).
    Animalpak says thanks.
  10. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:

Yes my focus are in-games performances, but a i like the faster boot is comfortable too.

If i improve the graphics card i get the same results as core i7 2700 ? Bahh GPU's :shadedshu now they change almost every year !

Me too crysis runs smoothly but when i look at panoramas that include all the moving elements of the scenario i notice a little drop in framerate.

Thanks !! Very helpful, It seems more 'strong in the calculation of applications that do not interest me.

But I note with sadness that in games lost against the new CPU's.

Cooling is already good, maybe my wateblock that old OCZ hydroflow :shadedshu.

I could make something much better, i had the sapphire enzotech but began to leak water for a crack in copper.

My CPU does not reach even 50 degrees below 4 GHz in all bench/games.

I'm participating in an auction for a alienware case with defective motherboard and power supply, but of course i am only interested in for the case !

I hope to win the auction :rolleyes:

So then you see something that you improve in my system ?
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  11. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I ran a Q9650 @ 4GHz for a couple years just up until recently. I was only running a GTX275 as my GPU though. When I upgraded to Sandy Bridge (2600K) I saw zero diffrence in FPS in any of my games, the only exception to this was World of Warcraft when I got higher FPS while sitting in main cities. In saying this, I was not on the X48 chipset, but instead on the X38. So I was not able to DDR3 memory which would make a fairly large difference I'd say.

So in my opinion you should still be able to hold out another generation before thinking about a upgrade due to bottle necking.
    Animalpak says thanks.
  12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Was only a month or so i was running a Q9550 and tell ya the truth if you want best bang for the dollar don't bother upgrading.

Sure systems more responsive games play the same or a little better. So ya system would be able hold it's own in current games.

I think your system might be holding the Graphics card down a little but pointless buying a i5\7 as your games should be running perfectly fine already. Although depending one what your doing 8GB might help the system out.
  13. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    I had that CPU Q6600 with x38 chipset, i can tell you that i get almost the same results of the current CPU medium/low models.

And I keep my CPU at 4 GHz are enough to limit.

You need an upgrade to take all the power of your GPU.

The only CPU socket 775 which is still mentioned in some reviews, are mine and mostly the extreme QX9650.

True i am a strong supporter of this ! And now i have not even even the money available for a upgrade :eek:

But remember that my system now has 5 years of life that concerns me that sooner or later dies.

Although to keep up with the times I had to increase the overlcock to 4 GHz.

Before I was on 3.6 ghz for many years.

Thanks, you have explained my current situation.

Well guys have cleared most of my doubts about it. Should i lower my "upgrade fever"
  14. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    I used a GTX570 with a Q9550, now i upgraded to a i7 2600k.

It depends to much on the game. I notice most of them runs more smoothly with the i7.

One example of bottlenecking: I play pCARS (pre-Alpha, release date Q1 2013 http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/cars/) and with max graphics and 64 AI cars on track the Q9550 won't cut it, i get 30FPS, with the i7 it never drops below 70fps no matter what, using the same GTX570.

The C2Q is still quite good though, it's not like the games won't run on it, it's just not as good as today i5, and i7 CPUs
  15. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Nice example, here is these things that feed my concerns.
  16. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    You may notice a perciptible improvement, but I doubt by very much. Probably the biggest gain is the remarkable memory throughput on SB. Is it worth laying out $500+ to upgrade CPU MB and MEM? Me, I don't think so. However, I do have my sights set on Ivy Bridge for the fall and winter of this year.
    Animalpak says thanks.
  17. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    If you start playing a lot of DX11 games (which love memory bandwidth) then you may want to upgrade. Stick with your current rig until you notice your CPU being used 100% without 100% GPU utilization and bad framerates. I'd just put some money aside and do a nice leap straight to Ivy Bridge when the time is right.
    Animalpak says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD