1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Older bigger hard drive into a custom system.....

Discussion in 'Storage' started by oqsajec, Oct 1, 2009.

1. oqsajec

oqsajec New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, i was given an hp presario desktop that had a freezing problem. They told me that one day it just froze on them and they got it boot up once into windows (vista 32 bit) but couldn't do anything. So they bought a new pc and kept this one on the shelf. They gave it to me and with my custom rig, i could use the 400 more gigd of memory seeing as i only have 250gigs. My board is a MSI with XP professional SP3 and a western digital 250gb caviar and the older HD (about 2 years old) is a samsung HD400LJ/C 400gb with windows vista 32 bit installed. I want to wipe it and utilize it but it......get this........it beeps at me! 3 consecutive beeps (not long but not short either) then a few clicks then the beeps come back. It spins like its supposed to but in bios my board doesn't detect it. It picks up my 250gb but not this one. I checked it on the older tower and it says that HD failure is immenent, back up files and replace hard drive. How do i back up the files for my buddy that gave it to me? I know its dead but the least i can do is hook them back up for basically giving me a 2.6 dual core ADM cpu, a litescribe dvd sata drive and memory card reader....the basic makings of a lil rig for my son. Any ideas? :banghead:

2. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    One way is to try creating a backup of that disk with "PING" backup system (or Clonezilla, but i don't like it).
    Make a backup to some other HDD, buy new HDD or just use some empty one and record the image back. Just soo you can access the stuff on it. But of the disk is already damaged so much it's a very high chance it will just die during the backup process. But you can try.
    If successful, you can play with those backup images until you get the files you need.
    Best thing of these programs is that they are based on linux and that they boot directly from CD.

3. oqsajec

oqsajec New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, i got the clonezilla on disk now, how do i work the program? This thing is kinda weird. Oh, when i attached my 400gb samsung to my rig, the rig doesn't boot up......? I'm gonna give it another shot in a few.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Clonezilla has to be burned on a CD (it's a CD image). Then you have to boot your system with that CD. Linux will boot and backup system with it. Program looks like crap (DOS look) but it does the job done.

5. oqsajec

oqsajec New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, booted up with clonezilla and this piece of sh%# drive is not detected. I checked in bios and again it is not detected. Oh well, now i got a paper weight for my desk. :) thanks for the help

6. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, when it's that dead, there is not much you can do about it. However there is a way to predict such malfunctions with certain degree of precision using this tool:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/activediskmon.html

It's monitoring HDD vital signs through SMART. It's not ideal, but when certain statistics start to go beyond standard values, you can at least proactively backup your data before it's too late to do anything (like in your case).

7. techspec6 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If the dead drive is a sata drive and your bios is AHCI capable. Maybe set the port that it is connected to as AHCI assuming it supports hot-plug drives. Whatever it's called, you see where I'm going with this?

Connect the drive to the power, but not SATA data. Boot into your OS with your working disk and then plug in the SATA cable after the OS is running. See if it will load the AHCI drivers or even see the device at all. Might buy you enough time to capture the data.

As always, be sure you have a backup of your system before risking it with faulty hardware.

Jason