• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Older Routers, what do you do with!

System Name HTPC whhaaaat?
Processor 2600k @ 4500mhz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV gene-z gen3
Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Memory Gskill Ripjaw 2x4gb
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 FTW @ 2037/11016
Storage 2x512GB MX100/1x Agility 3 128gb ssds, Seagate 3TB HDD
Display(s) Vizio P 65'' 4k tv
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
Audio Device(s) Denon 3311
Power Supply Corsair 620HX
My #1 rule with both routers & modems is: NEVER, EVER use the ones supplied by your ISP...

I implemented this rule years ago after I discovered that my ISP back then (in a different state) was back-dooring into my (their) network and collecting a ton of info on my online activities, so when I moved to my current location, I bought my own stuff and haven't look back since... my ISP here repeatedly cried & cringed & attempted to guilt-trip me about it, but I told them to just STFU and GTFOH....

And then, to top it all off, they tried to charge me an extra $10/mo for NOT using their stuff, supposedly for the "extra" work required by them to establish my service (total BS, since I ran all the cabling from the box outside & did all the set-up & configs), to which I again replied.... STFU and GTFOH, and promptly reported them to the local BBB, AG, and CA Depts, after which..... poof, that fee suddenly disappeared off my bill the following month :)

Anyways, Yes, old routers can be either be recycled into switches (if you need that), donated to schools, churches etc, or (properly) recycled.....

And as Bill said above, buying seperate modems & routers allows you to upgrade or replace them seperately, and also saves you the montly rental fees from the ISP, which will probably pay for the upgrades after a year or so :D
Dude, you should've seen me trying to explain CableCARD to my provider back before cutting the cord. They were factually dumb-founded because I was probably their only customer to understand my rights.

Yes, I bought a HDHomeRun so I didn't have to pay for a cable box. I am that one guy. Plus, you know, PC DVR was handy. They fought me on it to no end, but I did have a little fun explaining the (US) law to them, in which services factually cannot be tied to provider hardware. A ridiculous amount of people don't know that, especially back then when the law was relatively new. You, as a consumer, have the right to own your own modem, router, or yes, even CableCARD. And you should, for LOTS of reasons (some mentioned in this thread, but I don't like to worry people and/or get too political).

As for current routers, I'll keep waiting for the inevitable RT-BE88u (in line to the RT-AC/AX88u) or something similar. I'm sure Merlin will eventually support that branch of the firmware, just as he does ac/ax.

Like many others, I have an abnormally large collection of routers and the like I've accumulated over the years. WRT54G is my Sneak King. They are certainly e-waste, but also important history. Maybe someday I'll use them as sound baffling/decoration. :roll:

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
You did say DD-WRT though and I haven't looked if they have support or not, but at least OpenWRT has managed to figure out how to make some hardware work. Broadcom based gear, apparently not so much, which is what DD-WRT has mainly been focused on, so could be because of that maybe?

I should have said Broadcom AX; things were a bit rushed.

But you were right, so I stood down.

I'm stuck with two Netgear RAX10 units and a Linksys E9450

System Name Red Cute Pet xD
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus B650E-E ROG Strix
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Acer Predator Vesta II 32GB (16GB * 2) DDR5 6000MT/s CL30-38-38-76
Video Card(s) Yeston GeForce RTX 4060 8GB Cute Pet Edition
Display(s) Acer Predator X35 G-Sync Ultimate
Case Lian-Li O11 Air Mini Black-Mesh
Power Supply Toughpower GF3 1200W Gold - TT Premium Edition
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero wired
VR HMD Nope NOpe NOPE
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Nothing special...Yet.
(Question numbers added to keep this under-caffeinated mind straight)

That's a lot of questions - but they are all good ones.

1. I keep my most recent old router as a test spare. This way, if I suspect my current router is causing problems, I can swap in the test spare and see if the problem clears, or stays. (However - see my response to #3 for another alternative)

2. Except for some VERY EXPENSIVE (as in $1000s) enterprise/corporate level routers, I have never heard of a SOHO (small office/home office) level router maker who offers such upgrades. They could but the problem, I believe, is aesthetics. Upgrading all the components inside an old style router case makes perfect "technical" sense. But it would still "look" like an old, outdated style router. And we sure can't have that! :rolleyes: :kookoo:

3. No. As noted in #1, I keep the most recent old model as a spare. Like @Ferrum Master, I always take my old, obsolete electronics to an electronics recycling center for proper, environmentally safe recycling/disposal. The one near me ensures all hazardous (to the environment) materials stay out of our landfills and water supplies. Mine even pays the customer for the recycling of the aluminum and steel, and precious metals found in old electronics! :) It is by weight so pennies (if that) on the pound but at least it pays for the gas my truck eats up taking all that stuff out there.

Alternatively, most routers can easily be converted into a simple 100/1000Mbps Ethernet switch. This is something to consider if you want to extend your Ethernet network to the far reaches of your home, or just add additional Ethernet connected devices in or near your computer room.

4. If you mean "firmware" updates, typically I update that when it tells me there is an update available. But I ALWAYS read the change log first to see what the update does. If it does not affect me, and my attached devices are working just fine, I follow the golden rule of electronics maintenance, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Note that some updates are critical security updates to patch some newly discovered vulnerability. Those should be applied right away.

If you mean how often to I replace my router with a newer model, I have no time table or schedule. I replace it when my current one fails, or when the old one becomes obsolete. For example, my last "wireless router" only supported up to 802.11n. That was fine for years until I bought a couple new wireless devices that support newer 802.11ac and 801.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) protocols. So to take full advantage of 11ac and 11ax speed and features, I upgraded my wireless router.

5. I ALWAYS go with purchasing my own modem and separate wireless router. I do this for multiple reasons.

a. There is often a rental/lease fee included in your bill for ISP provided devices. Over time, you may end up paying 2 or 3 (or more) times the cost of purchasing your own device.​
b. Most provided devices are "residential gateway" devices. These are single, integrated devices that include the modem, router, WAP (wireless access point) and 4-port Ethernet switch in one box, integrated onto one main circuit board, powered by one power supply.​
HOWEVER, modems and routers use different protocols that are upgraded separately. This means if you want to upgrade your modem (from DOCSIS 2.0 to DOCSIS 3.1, for example), you have to replace the whole device.​
Another problem is if the router portion, for example, fails, you have replace the whole device. Or if wireless coverage is better with the WAP located elsewhere, you have to move the modem too. That may or may not be a problem, depending on where the entry point for the ISP provided cable enters your home.​
c. ISP devices are typically setup to allow guest access - whether you like it or not. So if you are a Comcast customer, for example, and another Comcast customer is on vacation 1000 miles from their home but are visiting your neighbor near your home, they can use your device to gain access to the Internet. Your device, your electricity - without your permission.​
Now "in theory" and "on paper" these guests cannot gain access to your local network or your computers. And "in theory" and "on paper", their access will not affect your available bandwidth or service. But "in theory" and "on paper" and the "real-world" don't always agree - especially when there is a whole host of bad guys out there trying their best to prove what's "in theory" and "on paper" can't stop them from hacking in anyway. And considering their success rate at hacking professionally maintained networks (see Yet another hack/breach), I have no doubts if they want to, they can do so with these devices too - when and if they feel it will be lucrative for them to do so.​
d. Some ISP provided devices have "backdoor" access to allow the ISP tech support access for troubleshooting and upgrades. "In theory" and "on paper" this is just fine. But, do you 100% trust your ISP to only access your network for honest and legitimate reasons? You probably can however, do 100% trust every employee (even the angry, disgruntled ones) to never, as in NEVER EVER access your system without your permission?​

6. You're welcome.
Sir, that's an ITIL KBA level for an answer! I am blown away! I will have to read it again today to fully understand it and thank you for making it a simple yet so informative answer!

Just a quick update :D not a big deal but you gave me the idea! I had no good coverage in my room, hooked an older router - dual band one - and configured it with the wizard - nothing fancy! - and now I got an access point! my speed went from 26 to 475 MBs! I am happy!

But what made me happier is the input in this thread; I didn't expect it to be that much and these details, TPU gurus never fail to deliver! Kudos Guys!

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
As for current routers, I'll keep waiting for the inevitable RT-BE88u (in line to the RT-AC/AX88u) or something similar. I'm sure Merlin will eventually support that branch of the firmware, just as he does ac/ax.
As Merlin doesn't change some of the base drivers etc. he should be able to support all upcoming models he wants to support as long as Asus keeps providing open sauce code. They stopped for a while, when transitioning to a new base build and he was worried that was the end, but it wasn't.

System Name Blytzen
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Taichi Lite
Cooling Deepcool LS520 (240mm)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Dragon (16 gig)
Storage 2TB Crucial P5 Plus SSD, 80TB spinning rust in a NAS
Display(s) Agon 32" 144hz, Samsung 32" 4k
Case Coolermaster HAF 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech G733 and no speakers (replacements are under consideration)
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL tactile
Benchmark Scores Squats and calf raises
To the op's post.

I've got a workmate who's son is getting into all things i.t including repurposing old hardware so I have a perfect handoff option.

System Name Regular PC | Server HP Z440
Processor 9700k | E5-2698v3
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X-CF | Stock mobo
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B | Stock HS
Memory 32 GB (8x4) | 112 GB (8x2 + 16x6)
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super | K4000
Storage 970 EVO+ 1TB | 860 1TB x2
Display(s) XV340CK x2, 1080p x2
Power Supply Corsair RM750x | Stock
Software Windows | Proxmox 7
Another possible use could be for penetration testing. Or sell it to someone for pentesting. Many people are in the market for old and cheap devices or off-lease enterprise equipment for home labs or other uses.

Or maybe just wait 10 years and post pics to the Nolstalgic hw thread.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
I have/had a TP-Link Archer AX50 Wi-Fi 6 router that's nothing but trouble. It has an always-on network logger that kept track of everything you did and snitched on you to antivirus companies (TPU even has a news article here), and for some reason the transmission was really bad, especially in 5 GHz band.

I ended up returning to my trusty ASUS RT-AC68U Wi-Fi 5 router. It's received a swanky new software upgrade from ASUS recently and it's performing better than ever. Signal's way better, and would you believe it, faster too. I don't think i'll be replacing this until I have a gigabit connection.

So... I guess I actually use my old router :D the veeery old ones (from the Wi-Fi G era) are just decommissioned and unused, though. I have quite a few that serve no real or meaningful purpose anymore.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
what about use them as extender? or something that don't need high speed

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
Just recycle your old routers, like any other electronics. Unless you have an actual use for it. The main router in my house is WIFI6. I still use my WIFI5 Asus RT-AC68U (hello @Dr. Dro) as a media bridge. With three antennas it is still faster than my 500/500 fios connection, and technically speaking the 1.3Gbit link speed also beat a 1Gbit cabled connection. And it easily beat the signal strength of the built-in wifi in the devices it serves. Instead of a ping that sometimes spike to ~30-100+ms just to the main router, I get a stable 1ms with the occational 2-3ms spike.

But unused old clunkers should be recycled so they can become new "stuff"

Lian Yu/Starling City/Star City (multi-timelines)
System Name The NEW Foundry
Processor Intel Core i9 13900K
Motherboard Asus TUF Z790 Plus D4 WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Memory 128GB (4x32GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 (18-22-22-42)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce RTX3080ti 12GB + Intel UHD770
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Boot), Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Samsung 980 1TB, + Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SATA SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo G9 49" UltraWide 5120x1440@240Hz + Samsung 28" 4K 60Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance-C (2 x 140mm + 6 x 120mm Noctua fans)
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro USB Headset + Edifier R1580MB
Power Supply EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Logitech G903 "Lightspeed" Wireless
Keyboard Logitech G915TKL
Software MS Windows 11 Professional
Send them back to the ISP they belong (ISP's here in UK charge you if you do not send the routers back to them when leave & not paying their prices for very basic products) to as current ISP is first that I have actually bought my own router due to not being happy with the supplied one to run properly on Gigabit Fibre (only got a Gigabit ethernet ports on it instead of 2.5gbps ones & WiFi6 on the purchased one)

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Send them back to the ISP they belong (ISP's here in UK charge you if you do not send the routers back to them when leave & not paying their prices for very basic products) to as current ISP is first that I have actually bought my own router due to not being happy with the supplied one to run properly on Gigabit Fibre (only got a Gigabit ethernet ports on it instead of 2.5gbps ones & WiFi6 on the purchased one)

Being from the UK and having been through multiple ISPs in the last decade. We have never been charged for NOT returning a router. But then again our contract is normally a 2 year one and by the time we've come to the end of it they have already been rolling out newer (and supposedly better) routers. If we renew our service with the same ISP we dont ask for a new router and our longest serving ISP till recently which weve been with for maybe 6-7years has never offered to upgrade us come contract renewal or expiry date.

I think its based on long your contract is with them. If youre only with them a short period of time then they might ask you to return it.

---

If its not been said already (which it most likely has) I would log in to the router and see if it can be repurposed as an access point and put in a part of the house where you need some extra coverage. I know some ISPs run proprietary firmware on their routers so a lot of options are basically deleted or locked out, In which case just take it down to your local recycling station. The 12v power adapter can be kept as spare to power other things if you have something that uses it.

Lian Yu/Starling City/Star City (multi-timelines)
System Name The NEW Foundry
Processor Intel Core i9 13900K
Motherboard Asus TUF Z790 Plus D4 WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Memory 128GB (4x32GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 (18-22-22-42)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce RTX3080ti 12GB + Intel UHD770
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Boot), Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Samsung 980 1TB, + Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SATA SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo G9 49" UltraWide 5120x1440@240Hz + Samsung 28" 4K 60Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance-C (2 x 140mm + 6 x 120mm Noctua fans)
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro USB Headset + Edifier R1580MB
Power Supply EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Logitech G903 "Lightspeed" Wireless
Keyboard Logitech G915TKL
Software MS Windows 11 Professional
Being from the UK and having been through multiple ISPs in the last decade. We have never been charged for NOT returning a router. But then again our contract is normally a 2 year one and by the time we've come to the end of it they have already been rolling out newer (and supposedly better) routers. If we renew our service with the same ISP we dont ask for a new router and our longest serving ISP till recently which weve been with for maybe 6-7years has never offered to upgrade us come contract renewal or expiry date.

I think its based on long your contract is with them. If youre only with them a short period of time then they might ask you to return it.

---

If its not been said already (which it most likely has) I would log in to the router and see if it can be repurposed as an access point and put in a part of the house where you need some extra coverage. I know some ISPs run proprietary firmware on their routers so a lot of options are basically deleted or locked out, In which case just take it down to your local recycling station. The 12v power adapter can be kept as spare to power other things if you have something that uses it.
Sky, Virgin, Talk Talk, EE, etc all require subscribers to send their routers back to them (have done for past decade now at least) when they leave the service. Virgin supplied routers/modems have always been only on rental (since they took over NTL). SKY never used to want their routers back until they changed to their own designed products from the Netgear ones they used to supply for DSL (I do know that as ended up with a dozen or so of those that went to be recycled a few years back when moving house) & when you leave they ask for the last Router back (any faulty ones or ones replaced on upgrades) even if they are no longer supplied (I know this as had to return a router had for 5-6 years to them in July this year when I left else they wanted to to charge me for it if not returned within 60 days of contract ending). They also wanted back an old Wireless-G 'Booster' that somehow had been placed on my account that I never had from 2013! Obviously couldn't return something I never had & had to argue that wasn't paying for it as never had it! The paperwork they send out even asks for the supplied 2m ethernet cables to be returned as well :banghead:

I was with Virgin for best part of 15 years (from before they merged the local cable companies such as BlueYonder, Cambridge Cable, etc into NTL) & SKY from 2010 until July this year.

Every contract I have had with an ISP has been for the full duration period of it be it 12 months, 18 months or 24 months. With SKY I had been out of contract for almost 5 years (but they had sent new routers out & wanted old one returned during that time when changed from DSL to FttC or when issues arose that they automatically decide a replacement newer model router will resolve). Didn't even have to sign up for new contract when moved house in 2020 with them which shocked me tbh.

Have had to keep the Talk Talk (they are only provider for Full Fibre at my postcode) Fibre router they supplied even though I don't use it so can return it to them when/if I leave them (they won't take it back whilst providing service in case there is an issue & have to plug that one in for them to send a CityFibre tech out due to not supporting non-supplied routers).

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
This topic got me thinking about my old ASUS router that I recently replaced. I need to get it hooked up again and update it to the latest firmware to allow it to be used with ASUS's AIMesh so I can get better connectivity on the far end of my house.

Otherwise with old routers I usually just keep the old one just in case my current on craps out on me. That way I have an immediate replacement while I wait for the newest one to go through RMA (if applicable) or I buy a replacement. I tend to have an older replacement part for almost anything in my current system, good for troubleshooting and also just getting my system back up and running with minimal downtime.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Sky, Virgin, Talk Talk, EE, etc all require subscribers to send their routers back to them (have done for past decade now at least) when they leave the service. Virgin supplied routers/modems have always been only on rental (since they took over NTL). SKY never used to want their routers back until they changed to their own designed products from the Netgear ones they used to supply for DSL (I do know that as ended up with a dozen or so of those that went to be recycled a few years back when moving house) & when you leave they ask for the last Router back (any faulty ones or ones replaced on upgrades) even if they are no longer supplied (I know this as had to return a router had for 5-6 years to them in July this year when I left else they wanted to to charge me for it if not returned within 60 days of contract ending). They also wanted back an old Wireless-G 'Booster' that somehow had been placed on my account that I never had from 2013! Obviously couldn't return something I never had & had to argue that wasn't paying for it as never had it! The paperwork they send out even asks for the supplied 2m ethernet cables to be returned as well :banghead:

I was with Virgin for best part of 15 years (from before they merged the local cable companies such as BlueYonder, Cambridge Cable, etc into NTL) & SKY from 2010 until July this year.

Every contract I have had with an ISP has been for the full duration period of it be it 12 months, 18 months or 24 months. With SKY I had been out of contract for almost 5 years (but they had sent new routers out & wanted old one returned during that time when changed from DSL to FttC or when issues arose that they automatically decide a replacement newer model router will resolve). Didn't even have to sign up for new contract when moved house in 2020 with them which shocked me tbh.

Have had to keep the Talk Talk (they are only provider for Full Fibre at my postcode) Fibre router they supplied even though I don't use it so can return it to them when/if I leave them (they won't take it back whilst providing service in case there is an issue & have to plug that one in for them to send a CityFibre tech out due to not supporting non-supplied routers).

Ive been with sky and left them to join Plusnet. Sky never asked for the router back. We from Plusnet to broadband to Plusnet again and now we are withe sky again. Nobody asked for the router back Sky sent us a new router

davsmith0

I have used an old router as an extender for the other end of the house for ten years. Check YouTube for a guide to configure it. Remember it may have old Wifi protection and speed,

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Put dd-wrt on an old modem to keep it somewhat up-to-date (security wise)