1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OMG...HD6950 too slow?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by ghen, Feb 12, 2011.

1. zhadlp

zhadlp New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only way furmark would damage your card is if you let it cook it IMO, as long as you don't let it run for extensive periods on your cards at more than 90c, then you are fine...
  2. TotalChaos

TotalChaos New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tend to agree regarding the CPU. If it was running at 3.5 GHz and still having the issue then i would look elsewhere. But there is no denying CPU's at 3.5 GHz or higher seem to have the ability to eliminate many different performance bottlenecks..

3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    gaming is still better to test stability
  4. zhadlp

zhadlp New Member

Thanks Received:
    not really, specially older games which don't tax the graphics card much, and since the card doesn't have to work at 100%, you can't really tell.

I had a gtx260 that would work fine in all my games, except for an intermittent lag issue (would freeze for about 1-2 sec) but no crashes whatsoever, I thought it was a CPU issue (was paired with a C2D processor at stock), so I tried to OC the processor but it was still happening. So I ran furmark and it would show artifacts after a while, had the card RMAed after...
  5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    thats why you run Metro 2033, Crysis, battlefield.

and nothing runs a GPU at FULL 100% its either 98 or 99% hehe
  6. zhadlp

zhadlp New Member

Thanks Received:
    You kinda assumed he has those games, not everyone play those games or have em, the only game the t/s mentioned was WoW... :D
  7. ghen New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 3DMARK11 does not display Physic test anymore. Black blank screen. Do you think this has something to do with flashed bios? I re-installed the program but no luck
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You advice was dumb because you didn't follow the basics of troubleshooting. MOST of the time its the simplest explanation. Like is the power on? Stuff like that. Cover the basics and then start the more advanced stuff. Flashing a bios or reapplying thermal paste on a GPU is not the first thing you jump to. How about just asking him what his settings are in catalyst. One screen shot of his Catalyst could have save his ass from 5 pages of bullshit.

Now he has to deal with an unstable bios in his new GPU which by the way he voided his warranty on. Pay attention to the advice you give. People come here for help not for willy nilly advice.
    Rapidfire48 says thanks.
  9. stinzza

Thanks Received:
    he flashed his asus 6950 with a 6970 bios before he startet this thread.. and stated later that he started having problem suddantly with rendering problems.. a classic problem with 6950 with 6970 bios.. so i recommend this asus 6950 bios with just unlocked shaders..
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0P3NBAXK .. see if that stops it :toast:
  10. zhadlp

zhadlp New Member

Thanks Received:
    if your on 900/1450 clocks, try to lower it a little or go back to 880/1375, the card might not be stable on those clocks, try to isolate which one in case it's stable on stock clocks...
  11. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    it still don't think that means someones advice is dumb.... it just means they got ahead of themselve on giving it. Also when giving advice ....I like others asume sometimes that people have given the basics a shot first. Especially when someone is a part of a tech forum. You forget there are new members too. But that advice he gave was not dumd. Dumb is kind of a word that is too strong for that situation.

Now if we told him to whipe his ass with his cards.... and that would make it better.... that would be dumb and stupid!!! :p
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  12. TotalChaos

TotalChaos New Member

Thanks Received:
    remove and re install Futuremark System Info that fixed that issue for me
  13. ghen New Member

Thanks Received:
    What's the difference between Unlocked shaders and 6970 bios? The clock and memory speeds? What if we Overdrive them from Catalyst? Would the same issues occur if we change the speeds on a unlocked shader bios?
  14. SvB4EvA

SvB4EvA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the general consensus is that using just a shader unlocking BIOS will do just that, simply just unlock the extra shaders. Then you can go ahead and overclock as you would normally overclock a video card. This is considered by most to be safe, or the safest BIOS mod for the 6950.

When using a 6970 BIOS it will change the defaults to the 6970 clock and mem speeds for the BIOS used, as well as possibly change some voltages. I havent seen any direct proof of the voltage changes versus a 6950 BIOS. This is up for debate and I have seen people argue back and forth on the topic.

I have personally been using a ASUS 6970 BIOS on my ASUS 6950 for over a month now, also overclocked to 925Mhz on the core and 1400Mhz on the mem. I have not had any problems.

Keep in mind, every card is not created equally. Any mods are always done at your own risk.
  15. Bengie New Member

Thanks Received:
    My card ran 3-4c higher with the 6970 bio than my original bios with the mod. gpuz also reported the higher voltage, but this might have been because gpuz pulls from the drivers.
    Still, it ran hotter with the 6970 bios.

I switched back to the 6950 bios as to keep my memory voltage lower.
  16. random

random

Thanks Received:
    If you find it unstable when you flash from a 6950 to a 6970 I found that because of the VRM temps I needed to turn up the fanspeed, try to put it on 60% fan speed then play some games see if you still have stability problems. At 75 degrees over is usually the point where mine starts having errors.