1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OMG I am back after a day of total frustration

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by grunt_408, Jul 29, 2009.

1. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Yesterday around lunchtime my internet went from a 1.5MB connection to a 200KB connection. And stayed this way for the rest of the day. After troubleshooting at my end I decided to call my ISP (internode). The very first thing the tech tried to tell me was that my modem was borked. I then told him that my Mum and Dad were having the same connectivity issues and their ADSL runs from the same exchange. His response was that "Maybee all of the little routers at the exchange were updating their firmware all at the same time" :wtf: By this time I was :banghead: and felt like telling him to shut the front door if you know what I mean. Why do these people treat the end user like a dumbass? They do not like it when they are proven wrong? I would have thought that a tech would appreciate a customer that has done all the leg work for them.

Ill bet some of the guys and gals here will laugh at the firmware comment:rockout:

2. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    A disappointing response from Internode. I thought they tried harder than that.

You need to be firm with them, ask them when it will be fixed and make sure they do something quick. You have the Telecomunications Ombudsman to call if it isn't fixed - quite often mentioning that you intend calling them gets a faster response:pimp:

grunt_408 says thanks.
  3. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Well such tech supporters are used to 95% of dumbasses every day, so its only natural they thought you were one, too. Same with me, I have to deal with so many idiotic people that I get really suprised if one actually knows something.

And yes, they don't like to be proven wrong or having inferior knowledge than you. I once had an IT guy at my house to check why the internet wasn't working. He said all teh things I already knew. He didn't admit he knew less than me (which is shocking because at that time I wasn't on the tech level I am today by far - why that man calls himself professional is beyond me).

odameyer and grunt_408 say thanks.
  4. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    I guess that is true it would be quite frustrating for a tech dealing with the non technical minded. The problem with my ADSL is that it runs through a Telstra exchange and Internode would have to do a lot of tests and be very certain of the problem in question before they submit details. But treating me like a dumbass is very frustrating.

5. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I believe you, it is ideed frustrating. Then again everything that involves calling support is frustrating. Is your problem solved by now or what will be the next steps?

grunt_408 says thanks.
  6. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
    My provider, Comcast, always blames any problem on faulty hardware of my own. It could never be a probem on their end.

7. k0rn_h0li0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    comcast is so unreliable with the power outs and stuff. stick with SBC bro. more reliable and less downtime and good connection.

i had sbc told me the same thing after my modem wouldn't turn on anymore. they tried tricking me saying that just buy a new one from us. well no. instead upgraded internet and got a mail in rebate for a new modem from them. bastards

odameyer says thanks.
  8. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    For the most yes it is back to normal speeds are not quite up to what they usualy are so I may have to call them up and make some threats :rolleyes:

9. aj28 New Member

Thanks Received:
    A lot of that has to do with the fact that the people answering the phones have very limited testing capabilities, and in a lot of cases it's easiest for them to say "maybe it's you, try such-and-such and call back" and hope you get someone else. If they admit it's a problem on their end they must also admit that, in the vast majority of cases, they are powerless to fix it and haven't got a clue when it'll get taken care of.

When will it get done? When the mystery men upstairs with all their degrees and certifications and whatnot get around to it.

10. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Only once have I talked to someone at my ISP that was remotely sympathetic with all the problems. I had them hang up on me once. :mad:

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    they give you something to do and tell you to call back, cause 95% of the time, the problem is resolved by the time you call back.

12. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I had that happen too. They reset something on their end and make you look like a fool. :mad:

The one time I got a sympathetic guy, I was without Internet for many hours before and after the call. Unfortunately, I was a genius and unplugged the phone I was talking to him on (a land line/wired phone) and ended the call. I was going to see if one of the surge protectors was degrading the signal. It did, but only slightly. He didn't call me back (which I expected him to do--they have your phone number for that purpose) but, oh well. I just waited it out as usual.

grunt_408 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Thats pretty much what I have done is wait it out running pathpings every couple hours and saving them to text.... But why should I do that? The problem is resolved now. I must say this is the first problem i have had with this isp which seemingly was not any fault of theirs anyway .

14. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Actually the problem still exists I am still getting some 7% Packet loss :(. I agree they are up to something some sort of a warning would have been good

15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    what?

please, at least google before coming out with statements like that.

16. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Saved me having to google :p

17. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Triprift and grunt_408 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    I want to move to the USA

19. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Those are some long ass cables... so many things to go wrong in so many places...

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  20. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Node are pretty good then again the one time i did call there tech dep the dude who answered sounded stoned. :p Hope it gets better for you mate no use getting kickarse hardware then have snailpace net.

21. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Redundancy. ;)

Main intercontinental cables have backup cables and should those backups fail, the traffic can be moved to satellite (much slower but still works).

You don't need the net to game or divide by zero. ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    and theres more links under construction as well.

In my lifetime, australia has never lost internet connectivity to the rest of the world - there was a time when a few cables got cut and things got erratic, but it never went out completely.

23. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    wow, ok my bad :eek:
    mabey im confusing the net with the phone company...my net service provider was saying its by satellite... I guess he was even wrong lol :eek:

24. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Mussels.. can you tell me whats the over all up and down speed AU offers

25. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Pretty crap compared to the rest of the world :p