1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OMG I've put in the whole tube of thermal paste and it all squished onto the sockers

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by World Citizen, Jun 15, 2007.

1. World Citizen New Member

Thanks Received:
    :(:Q:eek::confused;

Please help, I found out too late that I've put into much thermal paste on the cpu and it has all leaked underneath. The components are spanking new. Does that mean it's all gone? When I turned on the power, the led light was on, but there was a non stop beeping sound which I take it is that my CPU is too hot or something. I had in on for seconds - but several times before googling to find out what was wrong. When I lifted the cpu, the thermal paste was still wet and gooey. What's more I used the whole tube. I was so looking to see how my fantastic config would roar (64 x 2, 6000 with SATAII RAid 0+1). Now I am stuck with OMG what have I done now. I could even smell a slight something. Help help.

2. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    New components always have a slight smell, so as long as it doesn't smell like burning, you're fine.
    If something comes up on-screen, then get into the BIOS menu and check out the temps.
    One whole tube of paste is WAY too much, but as long as it's not conductive (like Arctic Silver 5) you should be alright.

3. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    A whole tube!?

You need to clean all that up as good as you can, probably with isopropyl alcohol, at least 90%. It's beeping and shutting down because it's overheating. All that thermal grease is completely hindering heat transfer.

Next time, use a small dab of thermal grease, preferably Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique. There are others. Try not to use the grease that comes stock.

4. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    Small dab = the size of a BB or an uncooked grain of rice. Less is more in this situation! :toast:

World Citizen says thanks.
  5. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    I usually spread an even smaller amount on the heatsink and wipe off excess. Then I dab the CPU IHS and install the heatsink. With the heatsink pressing on the grease, and the CPU generating heat, the grease will even out.

6. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't imagine the degree of the overspillage, maybe you could take a photo and attach?
    You could try cleaning using the following 'tools':

--90% Purity Isopropyl Alcohol
    --Coffee Filter: A great lint-free wipe that will not disintegrate and leave strands of material everywhere.
    --Q-Tips: It has a tendency to leave small strands but they can easily be wiped off with the Coffee Filter

Never use any oil or petroleum based cleaners (WD-40, citrus oil based cleaners and many automotive degreasers) on the base of a heatsink. The oil, which is engineered to not evaporate, will fill in the microscopic pits in the metal and significantly reduce effectiveness of your current thermal paste application and all pastes applied subsequently.
    Toilet Paper is not a lint-free wipe. Toilet paper will disintegrate and leave strands of itself all over your CPU. Bad Idea.

Good luck... hopefully someone might come up with a better idea than mine? I'm sorry for you. :(

7. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Coffee Filter...Just learned something Thank you.

8. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do want a picture now. Before and after, please!

9. mitchy24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i wanna see pics lol, I cant understand why you done that , after spending so much money on new components, why didnt you read up on how to install thermal compound...you only need the tiny amount.I just hope you havnt shorted anything out, because some compound is conductive, just hope for your sake it hasnt...

10. World Citizen New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used AK 455

It didnt seem so smell like it's burning and there's no smoke coming out!!! (Though previously in another occasion with a different set up the smoke oozed out like a b grade sci fi movie... but I've digressed). Anyway I used AK 455 and the whole stuff is all over the socket underneath the cpu. I mean it's inside the holes of the socket/ capacitator? Is that possible to clean it out?

11. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do the best you can to clean it up. Unfortunately, I think you've voided warranties with the thermal grease. You could try to call the retailer or manufacturer and try to find some sympathy, but I don't think they'll replace or refund now.

Didn't the grease have directions on it?

12. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Take the battery out of the motherboard and stick it in the dishwasher. Run it untill it's clean (Do not use sope).

Let it dry out on a table or something for a week before you try and use it again.

13. World Citizen New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know I am a bit of doke for doing that, must admit I am not a born geek and instead had to learn through time consuming and painful, if not also costly, lessons. Anyway, working on the photos now.

14. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not a born geek eh? I would think after spending all that money on something you would at least read the instructions on how to properly assemble it!!:slap:

Nemesis881 says thanks.
  15. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    A battery in the dishwasher!? I didn't know they made batteries water-tight.

I didn't know the CMOS battery was affected. Is it right next to the socket?

I really want a pic. :D

16. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha I see your point Neptune. I think he means put the mobo in the washer lol

Nemesis881 says thanks.
  17. World Citizen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, as for the instructions, yes it says a thin layer... but... hmmm lets face it, I cant offer a smart answer, if I could I wouldnt be drowning in all these mayonnaise and calling for help!

18. World Citizen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh please lets get pass the flatulation, ya dah, I know I know - I am a left brainer and really would not messed with these computers stuff if people just stayed in the age where one just painted with real paint, rather than this thermal stuff. anyway, must work on the photos - please i know it would be a horror show, but do refrain from your well meaning duh duh duh.

19. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    You have to take the battery out of the motherboard before washing it with water, becaue it gives off a small charge.

20. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    Huh?

21. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wait, wait, wait. Wash a motherboard in a dishwasher!?

22. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the dishwasher thing works, just make sure you dont use soap, remove the batter and let it dry a long long time .. when the open surfaces are dry it does not mean that there is no water left under the chipset or in teh cpu socket.

if you can, rinse with distilled water after taking it out of the dishwasher to remove any residue from minerals in your tap water (this is purely cosmetic)

World Citizen and WarEagleAU say thanks.
  23. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't it be safer to "wash" it in Isopropyl?

If you have the balls to put your motherboard in your dishwasher and actually run it, let the board dry for like...a week.

24. mitchy24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    he means the m/b guys, not a bad idea actually, hes got nothing to lose, as i cant see him getting a refund..As long as its dry it might work, but i think hes fried something, no matter how many seconds he had it turned on...I know its wrong but i cant help laughing, if that was me, i would shoot myself....lol

25. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    Reminds me of my idea to have a 'demerit' button next to Thanks. :D