1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Once you go LG IPS, you don't go back. Review of LG IPS225 inside.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Phusius, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    First off this monitor is on sale on Newegg right now for $169.99 with free shipping, and for my state, no tax. So cool, I think I got a decent deal, just got it in mail, hook it all up, not thinking to much about it. Just another monitor, another day.

This monitor comes pre-calibrated... great for it's price point.

Install monitor drivers, reboot. HOLY CRAP the most amazing picture I have ever seen in my life.

0.247 pixel pitch, lowest possible for 1080p, most other 22" monitors only have .248. This monitor has the 3H anti-glare (and I can def tell it works compared to my old TN panel with no anti-glare coating).

So yeah, no calibration needed, I tested several games... black levels and white levels... all great. Colors are so beautiful, I had no idea TN panels washed colors out so much. No ghosting issues in games.

Anyways, 10/10 in my book. If your looking to go IPS now is the time, get this monitor, also comes with 1 year extended warranty right now. :toast:
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Pics?
  3. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    I own the same monitor, and do agree with most of the points. The power LED can also be turned off without using tape, which is a nice plus for me.

I have one minor issue with the anti-glare coating, I think it is some what over the top. I have issue with the "rainbowing" on close inspections with my photos. Making it hard to judge the de-noise filter.
  4. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Im getting a Dell IPS U2412M 24" monitor this week.
  5. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry friend, I do not own a camera currently. Here is thehttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005287

Newegg link though, says deactivated... that is odd... just bought it last week, lol
  6. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    What are your settings? Did you just leave the pre-factory calibration alone like I am doing so far?
  7. Ra97oR

Ra97oR

Thanks Received:
    I am using sRGB mode, with default colour and brightness settings (53 brightness, 5 sharpness). I don't remember if the sRGB mode is default out of box, but it is the most colour accurate settings without getting a calibrator yourself.
    Phusius says thanks.
  8. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I have the IPS 226 http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-IPS226V-PN-led-monitor

I went online and found an ICC profile for my model. Colors are great and i only paid $148 + tax in April for mine at my local store on a clearance sale. Im very satisfied with my LG, it sure beats my old LG TN panel and the colors are gorgeous on it. BF3 looks so much nicer than it did on any of my other monitors.
    Hilux SSRG and Phusius say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    LG is awesome...their IPS panels are the best....Who'd of thunk when two total shit companies like Lucky & GoldStar merged they'd of become one of the world's best....
  10. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tinkered with what you said there, decided to settle on the User Mode factory calibration, and I went into Windows calibration and turned up the gamma just a notch or so, since the image was to dark.
  11. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    ICC color profiles work good too :D
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    A quick google search of LG IPS225 ICC profile came up empty. :cry:
    AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Sounds good but 22" is just way too small for a lot of people anymore. I personally went from a two display setup to an all in one, so I had to look for something at least 32" so it would work well with movies as well as games, net, TV, etc. I got the Panasonic TC-L32U3. It too is IPS, and although the pixel pitch is not nearly as tight as the type of display you're talking about, the viewing distance adequately accounts for it. I just placed it on a small table in the corner behind my desk.
  14. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    22 inches is just fine for me, most of the ppl i know have smaller screens anyhow.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I find this 22" to be best, I tried a 23 and 24 but they just felt a tad to big. Plus a pixel pitch .247 is very very very good, and I can tell the graphics look much more crisp because of it.

Found a Dell U3011 1600p ICC profile, thought i'd try it for giggles... actually made my monitor really nice, I think I found the right ICC profile, everything looks perfectly balanced now... amazing. heh. who woulda thunk it.
  16. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Again, screen and pixel pitch size is relevant to what you use your display for and how far you sit from it. I'm just pointing out that bigger screens are more suited for multipurpose use, not recommending one to you. That's why a lot of players use HDTVs anymore. It's also a way of economizing and consolidating everything into one display. Those gaming on a desk in their bedroom will come to find that when they move out into an apt or rental house.
  17. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I understand, yeah I sit real close to my monitor in my bedroom, when I get my own apartment someday I definitely want a big screen HDTV and a couch or recliner. Seeing as how I can't find a an actual real job that that pays more than $8 an hour I don't see it happening anytime soon. So .247 pixel pitch it is! xD
  18. Snowcharm New Member

Thanks Received:
  19. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you sit 15-20 inches or so from your monitor I say get the LG. .247 pixel pitch is very very nice to look at. I upgraded from an Asus 2ms TN panel, and colors are so amazing every game I play is an entirely different experience, that is how big of a difference IPS makes.

I am using the Dell U3011 2560 x 1600 ICC profile, and for some odd reason, it makes this monitor perfectly calibrated. I left it on default pre-factory calibration user mode, no changes made, added that Dell profile... even before the Dell profile the picture was amazing yet a tad to dark for my taste, now it is just perfect though.

I am sure the Dell Ultrasharp is very nice as well, but that one was out of my price range. I got this LG for 169.99 free ship no tax and it came with a 1 year extended warranty. so cool beans for me.
  20. Snowcharm New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you very much :)
  21. silapakorn

silapakorn

Thanks Received:
    Is there any IPS monitors with 120hz capability?

Currently I use Samsung s27a750d and I won't go back to 60hz monitor ever again.
    Although mine is a TN panel, it has magic color function which boost color's vibrancy significantly. As an FPS addict I believe 120hz is more important than color, right?

BTW, I sit 2.5 feet from my monitor and the pixel seems perfect for me.
  22. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Where is the review?
    Phusius says thanks.
  23. Elmo

Elmo

Thanks Received:
    Its hidden and encrypted in nowhere.html
    Phusius says thanks.
  24. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah it does look nice but i agree 22" is too small. i'm only using 23" now but 3x, and i want to go bigger not smaller. still, if that were economically feasible i'd have done it by now - this is a great screen at the price for sure ;)
  25. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    LG makes the panels in the Dell U2x12m series.
    digibucc says thanks.