1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

One PC, three locations.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by freaksavior, Nov 26, 2012.

1. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    So I had a random idea the other day.

What if you virtual machined 2 machines, and used the host machine as the main machine (say my main rig in my living room)

Then, use something like this > http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...011012&p_id=8121&seq=1&format=3#specification To extend to the other two tv's or monitors into another room, with one Vm running on each monitor in the separate rooms..

The main question I have is it even possible for my system to do this in such a way I could have three blu rays playing simultaneously in all three rooms including audio?

Granted three blu rays going all at the same time is NEVER going to happen, but id like to do it for the fun.

Also, what about inputs, will three sets of keyboard and mice allow me to control each machine individually?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I am not sure if this helps you, but when I play a blu-ray, even when cloned, one screen will go blank on the video player, though I haven't researched why. This was with PowerDVD 10-12.

3. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that is true, however I am thinking it may not do this to a VM itself if it's full screened into that window acting as a machine of it's own.

4. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    One of my first multi-user projects:

[​IMG]

Two separate users are logged in on the same P4 HT box. Ran 3DMark on one user, did web/office apps on the other with positive results.

Software was from Thinsoft. I haven't really been following them lately, but I can see from the Windows 8 support that they're still in business and keeping their solutions updated.

I have seen what you're proposing done before. Software captures input from specified devices and directs it to appropriate application (in this case, an open VM). I even planned out a similar computer for trainees at work. Replace the five trashy computers with a single box to handle five users. But the host was never meant to be used as it could affect the VMs, e.g. "Minimize All" would minimize the VM's too. You might have problems when launching a game, etc.

Closer to the ideal is running thin/zero clients that would connect to VM instances on your machine. Only thing that would affect them is if you need to shutdown the computer. Of course that means using old PC's or buying client hardware and using something like Server 2008/2012 instead of Windows 7/8. Even with low Technet pricing, you could probably just build a couple cheap Trinity computers and have less hassle.

freaksavior says thanks.
  5. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Well my plan was such.

Main host in the living room as a htpc.
    HTPC > Blu Ray, internet, Youtube, spotify, Gaming (not very often)
    VM1 > Kitchen > internet, Youtube, spotify,
    VM2 > Bedroom > internet, Youtube, spotify, cisco packet tracer, maybe a game (probably not)

So if I wanted to game, I could kill the VMs on the host which in turn won't affect it. I'll use probably one or two of the vms/host at the same time if that.

The license are quite pricey. I already have three machines, if that's the case of $300 it's not really worth it to me.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012