1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Online anonymity disappearing

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by qubit, Nov 20, 2011.

?

Should TPU force its members to use their real names?

1. Yes – bring it on!

9.1%
  2. No – serious breach of privacy and ID theft

78.8%
  3. Not sure

3.0%
  4. My brain is too small to comprehend such deep questions

9.1%
  1. twilyth Guest

I go out of my way to make sure I'm anonymous and I don't understand people who aren't jealous of their privacy. But then as a retired attorney, I tend to look at things from a worst case scenario. Of course I understand that isn't always justified. However if it doesn't cost you anything (or very much) to remain anonymous, then the nominal effort involved is justified - however remote any potential consequences might be.

2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't worry, even if 99% of TPU's registered users voted "yes" in this poll, we still won't change the way forum members are recognized. TPU is not a democratic institution, but it's not evil either.

qubit says thanks.
  3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    OMG, I should hope TPU never implements something like this! :eek: lol

Did you have a look at that TechCrunch website? It's shocking to see people's real ID's in the comments. They really have no clue to what they're opening themselves up for. :shadedshu

Sadly, I feel that this trend might spread. :ohwell:

4. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When I was asked to be a moderator they told me I had to be evil. :confused:

5. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, when it comes to maintaining forum order, you are asked to be a baby-eater, that's a different issue though.

We aren't evil towards people who are in good standing.

6. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    im on FB already and can be found with my nickname AlienIsGOD, already have several members on FB too :p

i really dont worry about this kind of stuff 'cause i have almost 500 ppl on FB and most of them are there just for 2 specific games that I play on FB. My identity is already out there and the comments i make NEVER put me in any kind of jeopardy or legal action, which is where some of that can lead to by idiots that forget/dont care when they make a malicous or incriminating post on a site.

IMO if u got nothing to worry about, then u are fine

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Rofl ... you're the best Bta. :roll:

8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    My name and general location are part of my UID already.

I could care less about privacy online, and anyone that attempts to steal my personal info for financial gains, just ain't gonna gain much, and is likely to end up worse off.

Going through life as I have, holding secrets seems pretty pointless.

sixequalszero and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  9. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    DO NOT WANT

Ugh. Yeah, because having a single globally unique ID (even if it's just a "profile" and not login details or credit card numbers) isn't a massive security risk... riiiiiiiiiight.

Imagine PS network or steam forums had been using that sort of software. Now the hackers, in conjunction with other stolen personal information, can track you to various websites and have a much better chance of taking advantage of reused username/password combos.

qubit says thanks.
  10. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    I talked to qubit & apparently he is horney for a fee lol... Who cares if people know your real name? The time of the internet being open & free is coming to an end thanks to lobbiest and congress.

qubit says thanks.
  11. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Is it me? or are us Canadians just more laid back about this kind of thing :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    No you are just used to the usa telling you what to do already

13. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    Yep. Just you.

+1

14. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Wha? :eek: :laugh:

Yes, big money in the form of vested corporate and government interests certainly do seem to be restricting the internet, little by little. :shadedshu

+1 Damned good point. :rockout:

garyinhere says thanks.
  15. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    I think it's because the internet is viewed as the wild west and their are no clear jurisdictions for various agencies and countries to control.

qubit says thanks.
  16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, they hate that, with a capital H. The RIAA/MPAA in particular, fair use and other business models be damned!

Everybody, put www.techdirt.com in your bookmarks for revealing info on what these vested interests constantly get up to.

17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    WE consume a large portion of the glocal internet traffic, and more people percentage-wise up here have access to high-speed internet. It's been legislated into law that the entire country will have Wi-Fi access to the internet, from border to border, by 2014.

With such prolification into our lives, it's only natural we're a bit more accepting of the internet being a real thing, and naturally, when it's tied into your life in such a way, you're more willing to really "merge" online and offline into hte single entity that they really are.

:laugh:

Yes, that's why we have the Royal Army and Navy, and use "olde English", and the metric system. :laugh:

The difference is that we do not place ourselves as important, living under what is really Royal Assent. The individual is less important up here, where clearly...down there it's different.

Troll fail. :laugh:

Having accounts like that directly tied to your real identity, to me, provides more security, than anything else. those accounts are directly tied to me as a person, rather than some random anonymous name that has no link to me whatsoever.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  18. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    ROFL hardly dude

None of my friends that i have talked to about this kind of thing fret over it either.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    How dare you bring up the metric system! How DARE you sir! :mad:

Stay on topic folks.

Thanks. :)

I don't know why the question of TPU forcing people to use their real names is even being brought up. It's not happening.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  20. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:

It has come to the point up here that many companies that we deal with on a daily basis, telephone, cell phone, internet, gas, power, cable, and even the government, are moving to "paperless" systems that require access to the internet.

Even schools...my kid's homework is sent to me every day by email. The school even teaches the kids how to effectively search using the internet. Society as a whole up here is adopting a much more "online" lifestyle such that online anonymity is really going to be a thing of the past, very soon, at least here.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  21. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Cyberbullying is only effective when the one being attacked knows the attacker. Anonymous attacks, although can be worrying, people tend not to take seriously (there are rare exceptions, of course). Case in point, which would you be most offended by:

A) A random stranger coming up to you and saying, "You suck!"

B) Someone you knew well coming up to you and saying, "You suck!"

Most people's response to A is "Okay?" Most people's response to B is "Why?" B is potentially devastating, A is memorable but altogether unimportant.

I think on that basis alone, it is self-defeating.

qubit says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    I voted my brain is too small because DERP???

AlienIsGOD and qubit say thanks.
  23. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I voted No, but I mean "No", not "No plus some editorial flare provided by our good qubit".

Sometimes my privacy concerns border on tinfoil, but anonymity has a power that most people do not appreciate.
    I may be stupid, incompetent and a doofus, but I am not a transvestite walrus.

http://www.theonion.com/video/google-opt-out-feature-lets-users-protect-privacy,14358/

24. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    It would suck if we had to use our real names as user id's and it's not so much of privacy, i am never considered with the people i interact with daily who i don't know to know my name. I'm not concerned that after they know my name they're going to go home and try to steal my identity, so i apply the same reasoning online. Plus i have an Iranian last name that most people can barley pronounce correctly, so i like to believe it adds an extra layer of security lol.

But i like my online '''identity'' to be separate from my personal identity because those can intertwine easily, i don't want my full name to be stapled to everything i do online (not to say i watch/do bad stuff online wink wink lol). So user ids act as a wall between me and the sites i want to interact with and i enjoy that.

25. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    no way brah because then if i told someone to get fucked they would beat me up. even though i have most of the mods on my cell phone.