1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Online gaming in Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by hat, Nov 13, 2009.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Well, I just recently started online gaming on Windows 7. The problem is, my ping has nearly doubled, even without torrents running at all.

Now of course I recgonize that there could be a problem with my ISP that's making the latency suck (download/upload speed is fine), but I find it odd that as soon as I install Windows 7 my ping suddenly sucks. I noticed this yesterday when playing TF2 but I thought nothing of it because I rarely play that game and it was probably just a laggy server, but these are BF2 servers and Quake servers where I normally have a ping of 60 and now it's hovering around 110. Is there some known issue with Windows 7 messing up the internet speed/latency or something?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    not sure me and a few of the guys on TPU play together online and all of us ran 7 at one point and we havent noticed anything. my pings are the same as they have been.
    hat says thanks.
  3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I'll have to wait it out and see if it resolves itself. Could be the ISP being all funky.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    idk man nothing i have seen has pointed to a change in the way the net is handled by the OS
    hat says thanks.
  5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, well I never bothered installing the realtek drivers for my onboard NIC cause Windows 7 already had drivers for it and I figured I wouldn't bother. Could it be that Windows simply has crap drivers that are making me lag??
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    This could be the case since the drivers that it uses are not always up to date (video cards for example). I cant imagine NIC drivers being updated too much though. It wouldnt hurt for you to try to update them to the latest version.
    hat says thanks.
  7. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Could be - if you have a live CD (ubuntu or something) stick that in, boot it up and ping some of the servers you're now getting lag on - will isolate the OS as the issue since you'd be on the same hardware and connection. For reference i've not noticed any issues with my win7 install and higher pings - i'm on the stock OS drivers too.
    hat says thanks.
  8. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Win7 is fine for me. Except my ISP has died this week *sigh*
    hat says thanks.
  9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Well it seems fine now. As I hoped for, it was some weird quirk that has made itself scarse.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    you are complaining for 110 ping? here i play 250 at the bare minimum, normally 400+ and kick some asses (dota and killing floor)