1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Online gaming question.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TheUninvited, Nov 4, 2013.

1. TheUninvited

Thanks Received:
    My computer has got an 8 GB RAM, 2GB Graphics card, AMD 3.5 GHZ.

My question is this ,sometimes during the game, i am getting some lag like it stuck, is it because my connection of the internet isn't good?

I am playing call of duty 4 , and it happens the same to modern warfare 3.

My connection is this:
    [​IMG]

2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Internet speed is not great but I would use a bandwidth monitor to check the speeds at the lag spikes

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    That internet connection is horrible, that's your problem right there.

TheUninvited says thanks.
  4. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    Your internet is not that worst. But it is not recommended though. Try to play in a server where the lowest ping you can find.... High ping is no good. especially in FPS games... you will definitely lag even you have a good internet connection.

Your download speed is ok, what makes you lag is your upload speed.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    it depends on your latency to the server, whats your ping in game?(with the server)

even at 1Mbps internet as long as your latency is good you won't be able to experience lag

6. Gavin

Thanks Received:
    I used to play competitive Counter Strike Source with a connection like yours.

Is there someone else in your household that uses the internet? If someone tries to do anything on your network, it'll cause some latency as your connection is basically being used at 99%.

I would recommend upgrading to a 10mb, as your upload will be around 2mb and you will notice a sufficient increase in reliability.

7. Aithos

Thanks Received:
    The download speed for your internet has almost nothing to do with gaming, although your download speed is VERY LOW for a modern broadband connection. I am on 12MB download and I consider mine to be slow.

The real issue here is your upload speed. 0.4mb upload is HORRENDOUS and is likely what is causing your "freezing" problems, my guess is that your computer is struggling to upload your information to the server and so it's having to resend packets. When you play an online game you have connection information going both ways (information from the server about the game and enemies, information from you about what you're doing to relay to everyone else). It operates based on everyone exchanging information with the server and doing calculations about what happens first. That's why lag time, ping, etc all matter.

I wouldn't game on anything less than 1MB upload as a bare MINIMUM. I would recommend at least 2MB and 5MB is preferable but starts to get expensive unless you're lucky enough to live in an area with actual competition or Google fiber. I live in a place where we have one cable company and no decent DSL options, so I'm getting gouged on my internet...

TheUninvited says thanks.
  8. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    1998 called...it wants its internet connection back!

9. TheUninvited

Thanks Received:
    thanks guys you rock:D

10. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    .40 upload is okay. I have .80 upload speed(5 download) and I can play online fine, and I had .40 in the past, still same. as long as you aren't uploading anything that can take the bandwidth like a youtube video. it should be fine.

What is your latency to the server? That is the most important thing and you're missing it. Even if you have the best internet in the world if your latency is high, it wont be smooth. Maybe you are joining servers far away from your location. maybe your isp's routing is bad

11. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    I would think it is just related to BF4. The frigging game still isn't proper and should be still a beta version.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  12. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I game just fine on a connection that is just as bad as yours. Something else is up.