1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Open or closed case ?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by RandomSadness, Aug 14, 2014.

1. RandomSadness

RandomSadness

Thanks Received:
    It recently had occured to me I might try spoting heat differences while opening or closing my computer case.
    The results are not that impressive ; -4°C in general for CPU and GPU , motherboard does not alter.
    I am wondering for the known pros and cons ; is it better to close the case or to let it open?
    Furthermore , is dust a genuine problem ?

2. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    Think it depends on the case itself and how it is designed, If i take the side of my nzxt phanton 410 my temps go up so for me and how i have things setup its best for me to leave the side on.

As for dust i think my pc would gather more dust with the side panel off .

3. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    For most cases, they are designed with a proper airflow...think of a wind tunnel. If you take that closed environment out of the equation, the proper cooling airflow (provided you don't have a badly designed case, and don't have wires blocking all your airflow) doesn't exist.

Additionally, I think dust would be much more of a problem with the side off.

4. RandomSadness

RandomSadness

Thanks Received:
    I see your point. My CPU never exceeds 63°C in games and is usually at 32°C ; my GPU is about 34°C Idle or while browsing and 69°C at heaviest loads.
    Here is a quick glance of my rig, I hardly think I could have done better. http://hpics.li/21be44a

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    Arjai and rtwjunkie say thanks.
  5. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Very nice! It's beautifully done and very clean.

EDIT: Had to check your specs...I thought I recognized the TX-3 in that case! One of the more underrated coolers. They've always performed way beyond what you might expect of them, wherever I have installed. Quite a workhorse.

6. RandomSadness

RandomSadness

Thanks Received:
    It first astonished me , it has such a great price/performance ratio.Tiny , but insanely efficient.