1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Opinions and suggestions wanted for a "mod"

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by jpierce55, Jul 24, 2009.

1. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    I have a nice big computer desk with a computer cabinet. Keeping the pc in there builds heat.

I thought about perhaps modifying a pc case frame or rack and make a sliding unit that pulls out of the desk like a drawer. I could put the entire pc in the cabinet and not have a real case to help build heat.

With that I was thinking I could use my hole cutters and drill holes in the side, maybe even bottom of the desk to mount fans on. On the outside of the desk I could cover the holes with mesh grills.

I think doing this would let me put some distance between the psu and the mobo, and perhaps give me better slightly better cooling over a normal case. No circuits would be openly exposed.

The trick would be finding a spot for the DVD-R. How long of an IDE cable can a person buy? Might be I could also stick it on the outside of the pc cabinet part of the desk.
  2. KH0UJ

KH0UJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    put it under or fit it in the cabinet and put a 110VAC intake & exaust fans with filters leaving only the monitor and the keyboard on the desk:rockout:
  3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    36 to 39 inches is around the max length off the shelf. You could always shell out for a custom length though.
  4. mc-dexter

mc-dexter New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think if your serious about this then you should ask MoonPig for tips & tricks into building this. HERE is MoonPigs Desk Mod, great peice of art from a cool guy, certainly worth the time.