1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Opinions on apple right now?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by MxPhenom 216, Aug 22, 2011.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Lately i have bene keeping up on a lot of Apple's patent law suits and all this shit going on. I have come to the conclusion that apple is scared of competition and that competition taking their market share so the only way they can dwindle that down is to sue anyone they can. I have never been much of a fan of apple, but now i really dont have much repect for them and their business practices, and how they thing they are invisible to everyone.

heres a story about my friends dad who is a huge apple fanboy, or poser. I went ot my friends go away party since he was leaving for college and his dad asked, so when are you going to build macs. right when he said that I wanted to say if our so Apple happy go lucky you would no that a average consumer cannot build a mac since apple has special firmware for the parts they useand all this other stuff, but i didnt say that. i just said never because its not possible for me to do so. He also asked so what you dont like apple, and i said yeah basically, mainly do to their currnet business practices. he replied and you like microsoft and their monoply, apple is just starting to figure it out. I stopped the conversation right there and said that microsoft got in trouble for a monoply serveral years ago, and even then im pretty sure msoft didnt sue every company that was their competition.

Not meaning to make this a rant thread, but honeslty whats your take on all this crap between apple and their competitors, and do you really think they are going ot get away with banning Samsung Galaxy products in Europe?

2. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Let me be the first to speak without hate. This thread, on this forum, is really asking for trouble.

Whether you love or hate apple ( second camp myself ), this is going to create a, quickly locked, s**t storm...

Damn_Smooth says thanks.
  3. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I never particularly liked Apple products... not just because of their business model, but I just don't really care for their products. I can see them grabbing at any opportunity to make a quick buck by suing anyone they can for any reason, but I suppose it's no different for any other big corporation. Greed is everywhere.

Lionheart says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i have an iphone 4, so i think i've got enough first hand experience to say this:

Apple are moving towards making their products disposable. they want you to buy an expensive product, return it under warranty for even a minor fault (and there inevitably is, from a cracked screen to a bad battery to breaking the recharging/USB connector)

the reasoning is simple: once warranty is out, you have to buy the newest product they have. and then the all new accessories, because apart from the basic USB cable and headphones, they make everything incompatible.

apple are focusing more than ever on their 'only one answer to every question' approach.

apps can only be downloaded from the app store.
    repairs can only be done by apple. (clearly you can hunt up parts on ebay or get dodgy local stores to do repairs, but apple does not officially let anyone do this)
    each product has its own unique accesories (cant reuse a case from an iphone 3 on an iphone 4, etc)
    Want to use a web browser? there is only one. same for all 'features' - they do NOT allow multiple apps to do the same thing to 'avoid confusion' - which leads to...
    want to do something apple consider abnormal like multi tasking? you cant. change how you do things to work the apple way, because apple wont change to do it your way.

and before anyone has a go at me that the iphone 4 supports multi tasking, trust me, it doesnt. if you use apps that hack it to work, you're lucky to get 8 hours of battery life from a full charge. push notifications are a miserable excuse for multi tasking.

5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    well i dont want it to turn into WWIII i jsut noticed not much conversation going around on this forum about this patent business and i wanted to hear from all of you. lets keep it civil

6. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Over priced for what they are.

And why should i get a mac when i can just use linux?

jpierce55 and Lionheart say thanks.
  7. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    this thread should be closed its going to start a lot of hate i started a thread about apple and it was closed

8. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Because it's magical. ;)

:laugh:

Recently a butthurt Sheeple posted in a local forum that those who hate Apple have never used their products.

Then I told him about my experience with using an iPod, iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro (although of course I have never owned one, just used them), and was promptly told that I'm probably not using them "properly". :roll::roll::roll:

9. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Another greedy POS corporation:rolleyes:

Heavy_MG says thanks.
  10. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    APPLE MUST diEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    yes i dont like apples overpriced stuff.
    their products remind me of the opposite of a swiss army knife. god knows what that is.

but hats off to their marketing dept.

11. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    I have no irrational hatred of Apple. I just find their products overpriced for what they offer, and liming in ways they should not be. If I don't run Windows, I just run Linux or FreeBSD. Since I see no use for Mac OS in my personal or professional life, I see no reason why I should over-spend for an Apple product.

There are people out there who have a legitimate reason to prefer an Apple product, just as there are people who blindly adore everything with an Apple on it. In my experience so far, though, the latter far outnumber the former.

12. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    I love Apple. As long as they keep making the best stuff, I don't mind if they charge a premium.

13. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    im quite neutral to apple, because that is no apple product have failed on me,

and their ipod is quite nice too for an audio player, and thier iphones are great,

even theres better audio player and better phones, most people will just grab an ipod and iphone.

14. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    this thread needs to die

15. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Apple products.. I have other alternatives, so nty.

16. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It will not be civil. It has never been civil on this forum.

I do not agree with that they're doing right now, but they are pretty much follow the rest of the world. Suing people/companies is a way of life (it seems like).

I've used them all too, and they are all reasons to like Apple. All of the things you listed are actually good products (maybe not all of Macbook Pro, but some generations have been good).

17. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Apple undoubtedly make good products. To deny that is childish.

But they don't necessarily make the best products. What is good for Mr Jones might not be preferred by Mr Smith. But I'm quite sure they'd both gladly use an i-pad2.

Apples perceived animosity comes from their monstrously misleading marketing and their hugely self important proprietary designs. Apple isn't about technology, Apple is about marketing. Some fall for it, others don't.

Apple are closed source, self righteous and expensive. But their products are generally good at what they do, even if they do intentionally hold back on tech they could put in so they can release another model 6 months down the line.

In summary, product good, company bad (any company whose PR is more up itself than Nvidia is really bad.)

18. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is your 2nd contribution to this thread, if I didn't know better I would think that you are actually dissapointed by the fact that it's not descended into a war (yet) :rolleyes:

19. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    My friend's iPod was taped so that he doesn't have to buy a new one. Actually iPods are expensive compared to other brands, the only advantage they have are the myriad of colors. My girlfriend's Nano's only good thing about it is its physical size. The iPod Touch are too expensive, unless you buy them now. Same with the iPhone and iPad. The alternatives are way cheaper.

Friend's iPad: can't connect to the university's Wifi
    Another friend's Galaxy Tab: no problems with using the university's Wifi whatsoever

Classmate (with another group for reporting) with a Macbook Pro: Had to go to the professor's department and borrow an adapter to connect it to the LCD projector, meaning, go down 4 floors, go to the Faculty Center building, go to the 2nd floor, go to the department, borrow the adapter, go back.

Groupmate when we were about to report using his Asus laptop: plug the wires/cables, and we're good to go.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  20. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Cheaper yes, but are they better? The iPad/iPhone is generally regarded as the best product in their markets, and with good reason.

And that your friend cannot connect to the unis wifi doesn't really say anything other than that one ipad might be bad. It says nothing about iPads as a whole, or Apple as a company.

21. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I really don't think they have that good of a marketing plan at all. Unless you consider not allowing anything negative to be said about your products and not allowing the tech journalists that you don't like to write about your products a marketing plan.

22. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    If you consider the "raw" data, then the Apple products may be better.

But when it comes to price/performance, that's where Apple fails.

I mean, even buying from the same telecom company, the iPhone4 is almost twice as expensive, and you have to get a more expensive plan as well as "lower tier" plans are unavailable for it.

Well yeah, it's like saying that the GTX 590 and HD 6990 are the best video cards. You keep on ignoring the budget part though. LOL

Mentioning only one iPad doesn't mean it's the only one with that problem. Another friend, graduated already, now going to law school (in a different university)...still same Wifi problems with his iPad. :laugh:

The similarities between the wifi's of the two is that they both require certain proxy settings and "logging in" with a supplied account.

So right now their iPads are for "gaming" only, the "productivity" portion are still with laptops.

23. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Zune HD and Windows Phone 7. Both products are brilliant from a hardware and interface standpoint. A shame they are so overlooked.

Not to mention, programming. Both use hardware accelerated WPF (Silverlight) and, for the most part, programmers have access to virtually everything like they do in Windows. The problem is, schools aren't teaching Silverlight/WPF so the adaption rate is slow. Who wouldn't love to see Flash get some serious competition and GUIs be GPU accelerated?

I wouldn't say Apple products are "good" at what they do. They just depend on their cultist following to rush out and buy products (which they did for the iPod, iPhone, and iPad) and spread the word about them to recruit others. If money were exchanging hands instead of products, it'd be a pyramid scheme.

The success of Apple is directly tied to Jobs (including their share price). My wonder is: what happens once Jobs is gone, again? Does the cult go with him?

Remember, the staple of a cult member is the mentality that the cult can do no harm. They always find an excuse to shrug off every flaw (be it price, the lack of mulithreading, the lack of industry-standard ports, crashes/lock ups, hardware features not functioning properly, proprietary DRM-infested file formats, etc.) and only remember the good (selective memory).

Only because a great deal of journalists (major news corps included) are in bed with Apple. Apple does something new, the press is cover it like bees on honey. If any other tech company releases a new product (like LG's 3D, multi-touch, IPS, all-in-one computer), only tech publications cover it--not a squeek from non-tech media outlets. About the only company that can generate Apple-like buzz without being Apple is Microsoft and virtually all the coverage they get is negative compared to Apple's almost 100% positive coverage (only exception was the iPhone 4 antenna short circuit hardware flaw).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
    Jack Doph says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Whats an Apple?

25. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    A rather bland fruit, with a erroneous marketing spiel:
    "An apple a day keeps the doctor away".