1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Opinions on apple right now?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by MxPhenom 216, Aug 22, 2011.

1. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:

wow a rare Apple satisfied customer :D
  2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I agree that Apple are a rubbish company due to their control freakery and DRMing their products to lock you in every which way they can. Their lawsuits are certainly their attempts to keep a hold on this.

Oh and don't get me started on the ridiculous prices they charge, especially for upgrades... :rolleyes:

I don't buy any Apple products, ever.
  3. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Apple products are like a hot high maintenance chick or dude.
    They look hot as ****, people want one, people would lose a kidney for one, and people think you are cool or become envious for having one (besides PC people), people are more likely to try and steal one off you, people buy it primarily because of the way it looks and taking into consideration on how it performs is an after thought.

Apple's marketing scheme is a win if you ask me.

Kitteh thinks so too.
    [​IMG]
  4. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    apple offers us prestige and put its user under spotlight
    thats kinda nice since they offer exclusivity too
    personally im ok to apple
    but later i feel it goes kinda annoying when they go sue many, many brands in the name of patent copyright
    its right to defend your patent
    but in this case it looks too much
    i guess its not just about patent. apple wanna make their stuff looks different, exclusive over the other stuff and try avoiding their stuff goes 'generic'. lets say their phone and tablet
  5. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    see, you dont get that, everyone can buy apples stuff not just you. if every one got exclusivity, then whats there to be exclusive?

there wouldnt be any difference between a cool guy or a creepy geek if they both had Ipads?

just because people dont buy apples stuff doesnt mean that they cant afford the "exclusivity", its just they prefer not to indulge in douchebaggery.
    digibucc says thanks.
  6. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I watched a documentary recently that explained that Apple had deliberately used poor batteries to enforce programmed obsolescence. The next shot was of a coastline somewhere in Africa showing the true destination of all the "used hardware" that we send them in order to "further access to technology in developing countries".

I have never really considered buying apple: as far as I'm aware a pc has always served my needs better - although I understand that in the desktop publishing world, Mac's are often preferred - and I am informed that the Android phones are superior, although I have no hands on experience yet. In short, I don't hate Apple by any means, but I feel that people buying their products are probably paying too much money for a nice design.
  7. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Perfectly put. :rockout:
    digibucc and de.das.dude say thanks.
  8. Shihabyooo

Shihabyooo

Thanks Received:
    Too many posters in this thread. If I were you, I'd expect court summons 2morrow :roll:
  9. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i mean the product
    apple defends their product from other that 'similar' like they think. like tablet
    so if you wanna produce tablet make it triangle so apple wont sue you
    ensabrenoir says thanks.
  10. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    you mean steve is allowed to sue the human race because we look like him?
  11. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    The word you are looking for is a bowling pin. The opposite of a Victorinox knife is a bowling pin.

I don't like apple, but then again I don't dislike them either. It seems that some people are easily polarized by a company that is evil. They miss a greater conundrum: all companies are evil. Brand loyalty doesn't apply to 21st century civilization, it is a outdated concept.
    de.das.dude says thanks.
  12. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I think Apple has been pretty greedy and ignorant in the past few months/years. They've been focusing on suing other companies and trademarking the word ''app''.

Apple actually has a good strategy going in our culture, they feed off of peoples wanting to be ''cool'' in every endeavor of their lives and know they'll spend whatever amount if they make their products look shiny and awesome. All an IMac or Macbook Pro is, is OSX, and they wrap that in shiny plastic. The fundamentals of a standard PC are still there, but those changes, OSX and shiny plastic are what people are willing to pay for and if they're willing to pay for it they're willing to keep doing the same things as a company.

I do however own an IPod Touch(was cheap), and believe it or not i think IOS is a decent OS mainly cause of it's simplicity. Whether or not it's open source or DRM heavy or not is irrelevant in a music player to me.Ive also never tried OSX, but i'd like to give it a try as i haven't tried a Mac since the iMac G3's and OS8
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  13. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Reasons I don't like Apple.

Privacy/terms of service are a joke.

Hardware is not all that great.

Design reminds me of that crappy vinyl furniture from the 60s. (You know, supposed to look cool but in reality it's just weird shapes or very normal shapes with a shiny coating)

Also how they market them selves just isn't on, they market themselves like a religion or social movement.

Just to clarify [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  14. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    I don't like Apples recent suits, and it is bound to backfire on them. In general I get a bad taste in my mouth from any dominant companies, but unfortunately if you look at the tech world we don't have many true options.

I think Apple is getting overrated and overpriced. They make a good quality price, but at a large premium. Tablets failed, and the Ipad took, and I have to say it is a nice unit if you NEED something like that. I find a lot of phones more impressive and cheaper than the Iphone. I don't care for the computers since I can build my own for way less money. They have a following regardless, and people are buying their product. To a large extent the I/Mac/Apple is a fad that will fade in a couple of more years.
  15. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Very true, but Apple is still pretty much top dogs, at least in the smartphone and tablet markets. There are other products out there that might offer more zing, but the execution of iOS products are excellent. I will never own an Apple product (because of the price/performance entropy was talking about), but there's just no way you can say the iPad is a bad tablet. Because it isn't.

Again, what you say is both true and that is very unfair to everything not Apple. :(
  16. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Hey call me cynical but i hate Apple; im not a lover of these companies that sell a social product rather than a product based on features. Id rather take a feature filled product than the social fad.

So many times its a case of someone else has shown someone an apple product and they subliminally sell it for Apple and it makes the person think its a good product. There are a million other similar products without the logo what makes people refuse to look into them?

Hats off to Apple i don't know how they managed to claw back into the mainstream but they did as in the 90s i thought they where almost dead, they must have some of the worlds top marketing people on tap at Apple.

EDIT: Your buying into a social fad and marketing campaign not a product.
    Red_Machine says thanks.
  17. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I was VERY anti-apple for many years to the point I wouldn't even let Quicktime reside on my PC's

But when my Nokia N95 was biting the dust and I was looking at new phones it was the iPhone 3G that had the features I wanted at the time so I bit the bullet.
    I now really like iTunes for its nice clean and well organized GUI, I like the simplicity and ease of use of iOS.

I now have an iPhone 4 now more out of the investment in apps and music I have made over the years but I am still happy with the phone itself too.

The main thing that of course will always piss me off about it is the lack of Flash more than anything. If Mr. Jobs would get off his high horse on that one I would really have no complaints about my choice at all.

Would I buy a Mac? Never! I would say the same for an iPad for me as I don't have any practical use for it.
  18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I used to like Apple, but now there basically just a PC with different firmware and OS's. Never bothered having one due to the price and now i see the pricing even more silly.

How ever seems like our beloved government likes them as most schools seem to have them. Sure schools get a discount but there over priced geaq in the 1st place so why don't our government find PC's at a good price too. And i bet the repairs are not cheap either.
  19. Frick

Thanks Received:
    It's how everything is nowadays. It's the same with games. You don't play games or consume any media, you become a part of a community. You don't work for money, you become a part of a family. You don't buy a car, jeans or anything, you buy a life style.

Apple is not the only ones who do it, but it seems people are buying the thing more when it comes to Apple.
  20. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    The only thing I have found about apple products is that people who are technically challenged can easily use them as long as the following conditions are met.

1) They have enough money.

That being said it doesn't mean they have horrible products. But in truth their products are for people who stand around waiting for the apple to attract attention or do something magical for them. My cousins boyfriend had a Ipad that he broke out to fiddle with once he saw me playing a game on my phone.

to which I said "Ohhh A Ipad......I wish my Iphone was too big to fit in my pocket and coudn't make phone calls!!!"

He put it away.
    Heavy_MG, AsRock, Jstn7477 and 2 others say thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  21. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    my friend went in to go get this macbook fixed because it was have hard drive issues and then the video chip was messed up and they basically told my friend "F**K you" and didnt do anything, so he ditched the mac book and got a laptop for college and gaming
  22. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Your correct its not just Apple that are like that. Now a days like you said its more about the influence of a product rather than buying it on its own merits.

EDIT: I don't think Apple make shitty products they are fairly useable but my point is there are alternatives that do the same thing, i hate when people whip out their iphone or ipad like its something special.

Steevo lol that was brilliant.
    Heavy_MG and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  23. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    :roll: Thanks for the chuckle Steevo:rockout:
  24. Frick

Thanks Received:
    "Right."
  25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    For what you pay in Mac you can build an epic system.........key word here is build. If you go out and buy a similar pre-built system you will pay as much if not more then an Apple normally.

The thing about Apple is they build a lot into their rigs so essentially there is no "entry" level rig. Its like their Alienware with no budget model. Thats why they seem over priced. Some things like RAM are over priced if you buy directly but the computers themselves are very competitively priced with what you get compared to other OEMs.

I hate Mac for a whole different set of reasons but the reasons I hear most of the time are completely invalid. This forum is a prime example. "Oh they are over priced" is a BS excuse. If anything give their marketing department credit. They are the BEST in the world IMO at it. Hate them for the right reasons. Dumping PowerPC support within one OS release. The hamstring older OS's to force you to upgrade (OS 9.5). Shitty tech support and absolutely over priced third party upgrades (PowerPC days) and misleading people about security. And my favorite, denying they EVER have a hardware problem. I have several iMacs with burnt out screens.