1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Optical Drive, HDD LED permanently on & random freezes

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Widjaja, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Recently after trying to transfer data off some DVDs I found my optical drive was giving CRC errors.

Before this I noticed my DVD drive was spinning up and almost vibrating the whole desktop.

Then I had random freezes for a few seconds with the HDD light staying active.

Once I removed the DVD drive all is well.
    The symptom made it appear as if my there may have been something wrong with my HDD or RAM failing.

Anyone had this issue?

2. richjordan255

richjordan255 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if its ok after removing the dvd drive surely that is the issue, could be worth uninstalling the driver and re installing but no promises

3. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Already installed and reinstalled the drivers.
    Did it after I was having troubles copying data off the dvd disks.
    After that I had the issues.

Replaced the DVD drive now and there doesn't seem to be any issues so far but I am using a IDE DVD drive at the moment.

4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried cleaning the drive; smoke/dust/smog/etc. can cloud lens. Even the DVD/CD can get a film of haze over them.

Something like this (Memorex 6 Brush Laser Lens Cleaner Cleaning disk) can work on the drive, I use this: Radio Shack and it has done an admirable job reviving a Sony Dvd/CD the was giving errors.:)

5. Necrofire

Necrofire New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's happened to me with a bad IDE cable, or the connection wasn't perfect.
    It could be that the vibrations (which are normal with cheap cd's that aren't aligned perfectly) maybe moved the IDE cable a little to where it caused a pin or 2 to unconnect. When you tried a different drive, the connection was good again.

Does it still do it when you plug the old one back in again? If so, it could also be a bad connector on the DVD drive itself.

If I read your whole post wrong, and the original drive is sata, then try 95Viper's idea.

6. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I ended up replacing the SATA drive with an IDE one.
    I haven't had any freezing issues so far.

Might give it another shot tomorrow with a different SATA cable.