1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Optical Drive not working

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Harry9001, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Harry9001 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I have a Laptop with Window Vista

So, my optical drive use to work properly. Sometimes it didn't use to show up in My Computer but i use to resolve this issue by restarting my laptop.

But now, its been days and this issue hasn't been resolved, i have tried every possible solution on the internet but none could help me. I opened my optical drive and cleaned it, its still not working. And in the device manager i cannot find a DVD/CD driver.

When i insert a CD/DVD into the drive it runs smoothly, doesn't create a lot of noise, doesn't scratch the disk a.k.a it works normally. Lights come when clicked on,etc everything is normal.

Please help me now.

Thanks
  2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Welcome to TPU

Sounds like the CD/DVD drives controller board is broken; Test with a new CD/DVD Drive

Note: For better advice from other members of the TPU community; include the make and model number of the Laptop/Notebook

atb

Law-II
  3. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    he actually writes laptop, but yeah could be external aswell as internal.
  4. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    Try to boot from a cd/dvd(windows dvd or linux live), if it work it is a software problem...
    Law-II says thanks.
  5. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Thank you for pointing this out however, I was under the impression the OP requires one of these: here; not an external CD/DVD Rom Drive

atb

Law-II
  6. Harry9001 New Member

Thanks Received:
    guys i think i will buy a dvd/cd drive for a PC(they are really cheap) and using a SATA/IDE usb cable(i already have one), i will use the dvd/cd drive with my laptop

Thanks