1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Optical Drives, SATA or IDE?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Baer, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Baer New Member

Thanks Received:
    What do you guys recommend? I have 6 SATA slots on my Mobo and I will be installing three HDDs initially. I may install a SSD drive later so that would be 4. I am trying to decide if I want to use IDE and save my two additional SATA slots. I am going to install two optical drives. I am not very concerned about a little more burn speed for the optical drives as they are not used that often.
    Comments and Suggestions?
    Tnx

2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I use SATA anymore, the last two Samsung SATA DVD burners I got performed flawlessly, quickly and with the smaller, thinner cables, the cable management was a lot easier. PATA/IDE burners still get the job done just fine though, it depends on what you find for how much, I use Lite-On and Samsung mostly. The SATA burners I got were around 25 shipped on newegg.

:toast:

3. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    What he said. Most newer boards, like x58 don't even have IDE connectors on them any more so it would be wise to go SATA to be more futureproof.

4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    If I plan to use RAID on a SATA controller, I put PATA optical drives in. If I don't intend to use RAID, I go all SATA.

The only real difference is PATA will be on the chopping block sooner or later. A SATA drive therefore may have a longer useful life but considering they're pretty cheap, it's really not something to ponder for long.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I'm running RAID 0 on my current setup with SATA DVDR. I have 2 WD400 SATA II drives in Raid 0, a WD6400AAKS SE16 SATA II and one Samsung S203 DVD SATA and have had no issues at all. This is on my P5Q Deluxe, which I believe has ICH10R iirc. Though I do have the JMicron SATA/IDE if need-be.

So far ALL SATA + SATA RAID on the Intel chipset has been solid, this has been my first all-sata + raid setup and I gotta say it's worked amazingly!

:toast:

Baer says thanks.
  6. Baer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, when I did my last build a few years back SATA burners were not playing nice all the time. I think I will go SATA if for no other reason than the smaller cables and being able to set IDE seaqrch time in the BIOS to 0.
    Thanks again.

7. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    IDE is old now, SATA you want. Like Kursah stated, SATA data cables are thinner and the power cables are also so much easier to hide away behind the tray and looks a lot tidy.

8. Baer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that was my decision factor. My reluctance was that I did not want to use all six of my SATA ports right away but that is the way it is I guess.

9. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

Thanks Received:
    Definitely go with SATA. I got an IDE optical drive with my original rig, before I knew about the existence of SATA optical drives.

IDE cables, even the rounded one I picked up are horrible for cable management. I would just buy a SATA drive now, but I'm too cheap for that. :laugh:

10. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    SATA!

I've been IDE free since the first SATA opticals hit the market (Plextor).

11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I have all SATA drives. I didn't notice any more speed from my optical drives (because of mechanical limitations, optical drives will never be able to put out enough data to fill the IDE bus anyway), but I like having a little SATA cable tucked away somewhere instead of having some 2 inch wide IDE cable blocking my cpu heatsink's airflow

Crunching for Team TPU