1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Optimize your torrenting

Discussion in 'General Software' started by garyinhere, Feb 10, 2011.

1. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know any tricks/best setup for the settings for uTorrent?

Please don't talk about Movies, Games ect... or the thread will be closed.
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    to what end? faster speeds, or less impact on your internet connection? (preventing ping spikes, lag with gaming/voip, etc)

i can give my settings, which dont even boost our ping by 10ms. My settings are based on a connection that gets 8Mb down, 1Mb up. lower them if you have slower internet.

Utorrents "bandwidth" page
    max upload rate: 1/5th your total upload rate (speedtest it or something, dont go by what the ISP says you have)
    max connections to 50
    max per torrent 40 (not so important really)
    2 upload slots per torrent

under 'bittorrent'
    disable DHT. while it doesnt use much bandwidth, it DOES spam connections out like theres no tomorrow - this can often cause routers to lag out, causing ping spikes.

under 'advanced'
    change net.max_halfopen to 10 - same as disabling DHT, spares your wee router.

that and set a scheduler to only seed during your non peak hours (when no one cares about ping spikes etc) and you're all good.

Oh and if your speeds are still crap, stop using crap torrent sites. If you use pirateboy, osihunt, domonoid or other large search sites... expect shit speeds. its guaranteed.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
    garyinhere and DrunkenMafia say thanks.
  3. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Mussels. I might use a few of those settings myself. I have always just reset my router every few days to close all the open connections from torrents.

RevTT FTW!! :rockout:
  4. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    What sites? I use demoniod myself
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i specifically misspelled the names for a reason. please be careful with that.

short, censored version: if your speeds are crap with torrents, blame the people you're downloading from. use sites where they monitor ratios properly so theres guaranteed to be decent seeeders.
  6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Or be a little selective with what torrents you download from the non-monitored sites. I can usually get decent speeds(1Mb/s+) on torrents from the sites you mention, but I'm selective with my torrents.
    angelkiller says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD