1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Oregon State Accuses RIAA of Spying on Students

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Nov 30, 2007.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    While we all know that the RIAA uses questionable and filthy tactics to attempt to apprehend what they call "pirates", who are usually college students and old people, nobody has dared to interfere with their legal might. Fortunately, someone has taken a stand: Oregon State. When the RIAA sent Oregon State subpoenas to investigate the behavior of a few students, Oregon State sent them right back, went to court to see those subpoenas nullified, and accused the RIAA of spying on their students. The RIAA's legal team was quick to claim that Oregon State was "misguided" in their actions, and is preparing to file their own accusations that Oregon State is obstructing justice. The Oregon Assistant Attorney General responded as follows:
    Source: Katu 2 (Oregon Local News)
  2. das müffin mann

das müffin mann New Member

Thanks Received:
    go oregon, seriously though RIAA needs a better hobby other than going after college students or old people it kinda makes you wonder if anyone working for the RIAA has dl anything illegally (they should take up knitting or try to catch criminals that are actually a little more damaging to society insted of some college student that dl a few songs)
  3. hacker111

hacker111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Spying on college students and old people....May I ask why they would do that without permission from the law?????? They should get fined big time:confused:
  4. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Hahaha thats fuckin awsome. RIAA finally getting nutkicked, about time. Rest of the world:nutkick:RIAA
  5. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep about time.. when the law turns an average joe (or their granny) into a criminal its time the law was changed and its "enforcers" kicked into touch..

trog
  6. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    They will not stop till every last grandma, grandpa, a toddler are punished! :p
  7. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Finally someone stands up to the RIAA... they are so stupid and think they are above the law.
  8. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

They didn't. They had court issued supoenas.
    Oregon State is trying to get them nullified.
  9. Basard

Basard

Thanks Received:
    As soon as somebody makes some music WORTH BUYING, then I suppose people will buy it. I haven't bought an album in years, I don't see why anybody would even want to pirate any of the crap out today anyways. I'm really sick of the RIAA. Where were they back when people were putting tape over the little squares on the bottom of cassete tapes, and copying them?? Nowhere. Now they think they are clever because they can track an IP down and sue every grandma and grandkid in the states. Somebody should sue the RIAA for harassment. :roll:

So why are they targeting college students now anyways, they say "college students accounted for more than 1.3 billion illegal music downloads in 2006." Um, how many kids are in college these days????!! There are about 450 million citizens in america, I'm guessing about 20million are in college.... If you do the math, that means EVERY SINGLE college student would have to steal 65 songs each. Come on now. Why don't they just SUE THE WHOLE FRIGGAN COUNTRY.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  10. IcrushitI New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seems obvious to me, hit the students and Grannies, cause they don't have the money to fight back. For the RIAA lawyers it looks good on their resume "Won 500 cases this month alone, I'm so good they didn't dare take me to court, Now find me some more Grannie's".
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  11. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    AGREED 100% screw the RIAA:nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick:
  12. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    *steals hydrogen bomb*
    *nukes RIAA HQ*
    F-22 says thanks.
  13. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    If music is worth listenng to, then its worth buying.

The first question is whether the price is right. Answer: Given the size of the music industry, then it seems that a LOT OF PEOPLE are buying. Price seems to be about right. Sure they could sell more at a lower price, but then the retail margins get very low and your whole distribution channels may collapse.

The second question is: why is the price pretty much the same for very different qualities of music. Answer: pricing is a business strategy.

The third question is: why do poor people (students, old, unemployed, losers) have to pay the same as rich people (people who work hard for their money, people with no time). Answer: move to Russia and stop whining.
  14. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    that is not so ...
  15. F-22 New Member

Thanks Received:

Hydrogen + Nuclear ftw ;) :laugh::laugh::laugh:
  16. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    the riaa needs to stop those damn people in the subway in nyc! they are selling bootleg music and movies without a question! maybe that is too easy for the riaa.
  17. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    No, the RIAA needs kamakazi attacked by terrorists...
  18. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    We should all put that in our sigs panchoman to make a point