1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Origin and Windows 8 - experiences?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Millennium, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    Hi there

I had no problems at all, ever, with Origin on my Windows 7 install for over a year. Recently went to Windows 8, today decided to install Origin, had no end of problems.

Found some very similar forum posts after a quick google but none of their solutions worked. I did fix this in the end, but it wasn't elegant, and if it's just my PC having issues I may not bother posting it. So!

1) Did you manage to install Origin on Windows 8 (retail) with no issues? Specifically no update problems (black windows comes up and closes, nothing happens, Origin.exe wont run during first install and update?). I am guessing most did?!

2) If you come across this and have an issue that sounds like the above, just reply, I'll try and post my solution. It's a bit of a mess but I am running Origin now and it's happily downloading BF3!

So cheers
    Nav

2. kcoleman86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Easy Fix

I was having the exact same issue. I downloaded the Origin Installer from the site and saved to my desktop. I then disabled my anti-virus and Firewall. (I had done these separate in my troubleshooting but both need to be disabled) I then ran the installer as administrator. (right click and run as administrator) POOF! everything worked.

3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No issues here boss. But Origin can be picky about admin rights.

4. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I came across another issue today so I'm going to tackle both.

Problem: Origin doesn't complete install, DOS box pops up after agreeing to upgrade during install but nothing else.

Solution:
    I allow Origin to install to this point. If you go to your x86 program files now and into Origin, you should see an Origin.exe which won't run and also an OriginTEMP.exe.
    Despite running the installer as admin, there seemed to be a permissions issue preventing proper update. I simply changed the file access permissions on the whole Origin folder (full control - all) and ran Origin again. This solved this and Origin ran, updating fine.

Problem: Even once Origin in installed, BF3 is downloaded and installed, you click Play and nothing happens.

Solution:
    Bit easier this one, go to http://battlelog.battlefield.com in your preferred browser, log in and install the 'update' for browser plugin. Now start BF3 from battlelog instead of Origin and it will run fine.

Protip for BF3: This injector looks good: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=1564733&mpage=1 I used the one from the 1st video. The OP has updated the post quite recently...

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a feeling you are not using IE10 are you?

Crap Daddy says thanks.
  6. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Worked ok for me on a
    fresh install ,just ran installer as admin.

More than 25k PPD
  7. repear13 New Member

Thanks Received:
    could you tell me how to fix the problem i have?
    i recently bought battlefield 3 as a disc and i placed it in my windows 8 computer and i ran it. It installed Origin, but when i clicked origin it wont start up instead it popped up a DOS box, quickly disappeared and that was it.