1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OS reinstall needed after upgrading CPU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ferrum Master, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    I've swapped CPU on my HP550 laptop from T5270 Merom to T8300 Penryn...

I am just wondering. Everything works fine and the speed boost is incredible...

But Penryn has SSE4.1 and few other features... is Windows 7, XP or whatever aware of these features after CPU upgrade? Or all instruction set flags are present and asked before execution of each application(where ever it was compiled with option to use additional instruction sets). That may be truth about 3rd parity apps. Although what about the core services of the OS, I guess they work the same way?

I hope you did catch the idea. Does the config of the OS core proceed during install of the OS or later on it can also be adjusted just as the new CPU drivers become active? Or there is some dumb registry made hack needed afterwards - as usual for windows like making tweaks for SSD work and core parking disabling, L3 cache etc) :toast:

PS.

Answer - just reinstall is rejected, I want to know it for educational purposes. :p

2. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I've taken the HD with 7 on it and put it in a completely different system before with no issues(c2q system to a pent D system to a AMD based system to back into the c2q system). Thats one of the beautiful things about windows 7

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it works... I know...

But is it aware of all instruction sets and features of the CPU... Energy saving, boost and instruction sets like SSE4.1? You've tested it?

4. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Personaly I would do a format/install. I know for a fact you had to with Win XP and Vista, not sure if MS fixed 7. Just do it to guarantee you max performance and stability.

Try to slipstream all newer drivers, service packs codecs onto one disc so everything can install together with Windows.

5. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    no I havent actually done any actual tests, but I didn't notice any problems while using the systems with the HD in it. If you have any concerns, just back up everything and do a reinstall.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I would imagine any software with the right instruction set would be able to use it if it was there, never came across anything that says otherwise, simple way to tell run an app/bench that uses sse4.1 instruction sets?

7. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    Quite hard to bench... (Disassemble the laptop again to swap the cpu?) and the architecture is different(larger L3 also)... and it is a laptop... and the max frequency is 1.4Ghz vs 2.4Ghz(yeah - nice upgrade).

So really no devs/programmers around here? :confused:

Maybe some can remember T-Bird/Palomino upgrade times when SSE was also introduced, gosh it was so long ago :)

PS. Again

It seems seldom one reads these Post Scriptums in the first post :D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  8. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I dont understand what exactly you want? maybe you need to email MS and ask them :rolleyes: you have noticed the performance increase, what exactly do you think sse4.1 will do with the underlying OS?

9. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    You didn't understand it at all... You think that SSE matters me most... I want to know the behavior of the OS if it really knows that it is a different CPU and energy saving, Speed Step, Core Boost features also work... as on Penryn not Merom... Bitwise the bitset flags for cpu are compatible... therefor they work...

Same could be also seen when upgrading to Bulldozer from older K10.5 gen, as it also introduces new instruction sets and features...

So again... I want a solid answer.

Yes - I've replaced CPU benched, after OS reinstall it benched faster and Battery lasted longer etc...

NO - OS reinstall isn't need, M$ are cool cats and their win 7 OS is aware of fundamental hardware changes.

10. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    There are no core boost features in either CPU, speedstep will work regardless as it's an underlying issue that is taken care of in the bios, look in CPU-Z does it tell you what instruction sets the CPU has? yes: good then you are set to go /thread.

11. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    I would agree you won't find sse4.1 support in windows and anything that is coded to support it will not need a reinstall if CPU-Z says it is supported. Don't waste your time.

12. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    Gosh NdMk2o1o your are quite persistent :D Search below. And when these features were introduced.

Intel's Deep Power Down Technology (IDPDT)
    Intel's Enhanced Dynamic Acceleration Technology

Then... i am thinking myself about the boot up and OS interaction with CPU microcode...

I've remembered myself the experience on Socket F platform that I owned, using Santa Rosa and Barcelona CPU... TLB Fix applied immediately after swapping CPU's... So I suppose it proves also that reinstall isn't need for Windows based OS.