1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclock CPU, wireless speeds drop?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by CarolinaKSU, Oct 14, 2008.

1. CarolinaKSU New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I brought my good ole' E6600 to 3.4ghz which seems to be the limit for it. After getting it stable and running well for 24/7 use, I noticed my wireless speeds are slower and jump around way more than they were when it was at stock speed.

Is there any explainable reason this would happen? I have a WMP300N that would stay pegged at 270mpbs and occasionally would drop to 243 or 216 but would always come right back. Now it will occasionally drop all the way to 81mbps or even 54.. :shadedshu What gives?

2. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well for a start you wont be downloading anything at 200+ mbps as your internet will be a lot slower than that and even 50mbps is plenty enough for the fastest broadband, but im curious, why you think this is caused by your overclock, if this is indeed the case its the first ive heard of its kind, i suspect there is another factor here.

have you set the e6600 to its original clocks and noticed your wireless speeds improve ?

maybe try a reset of your router/switch to see if that helps?

3. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Update drivers and flash motherboard to the latest firmware :)

4. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Very well could have limited power into your mainboard for some goofy reason...

But as said above, always work the software first!