1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclock not registering!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Nick259, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    Hi, i've been trying to overclock a e2160 on a p35c-ds3r for the past 30 mins with no luck. I've set it to 333mhz x 9 = 3ghz in the bios but when it reboots it comes up saying 1.8ghz again on the post screen and in cpuz. The funny thing is usually when that happens the settings have reset themselves as the overclock was too high but when i go into the bios everything is setill set at overclocked speeds. I don't understand why can anybody help?

PS. it's just back from an RMA and they determined the fault as a faluty capactor and have replaced the capacitor in question. I don't know if that makes a difference?

Also, I had a e6420 in it before at 3.2ghz running fine. When it went faulty I got myself a new board so this is in my friends build now so this is the first time i've had the e2160 in the board. The board had the F10 BIOS on it before the RMA but they seem to have flashed it with the latest BIOS F11 now if that somehow prevents me overclocking?

2. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Flash it back or try a lower overclock

Nick259 says thanks.
  3. wakkierob

wakkierob New Member

Thanks Received:
    The processor must have been a blow to downgrade and the Overclock will only heatup the motherboard. Older processors heat up hotter than newer one's mayb save up for a newer model like e6xxx, e7xxx or e8xxx series you'll probably have less heat and more Overclock.
    Your overclock is very high and maybe the voltage is high as well if not then a new processor will do. You can buy off ebay or look at shopping with google to find the right low price retailer!

hint if the mobo supports high FSB speeds then getting a 1333MHz FSB CPU will increase response time!

Good luck:rolleyes:

Nick259 says thanks.
  4. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    No this happens even with very small overclocks like up from 1.8ghz to 2ghz. How would I go about flashing back the bios?

5. wakkierob

wakkierob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its not easy finding a dos bios updater but if you can use the name of the original bios do it!

need the orignal bios name to flashback!

Good Luck

PS: maybe if you have had trouble with the board before take it back and demand money back or a new motherboard exspecially if its a newish board they should give money bck right!

I looked up the motherboard and it shouldn't have probs with capacitors so it's not good you still have probs withit and its probably a dodgey board.

I got Asrock P45xe for x-fire and I've had no probs with so ify that yours mobo looks simular!
    :confused:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    Nick259 says thanks.
  6. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    Computers do strange things :/ Booted up this morning and the overclock worked. Can't say i'm not happy but I always want a reason for something not working :p

7. wakkierob

wakkierob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could be voltage prob if the voltage ain't higher'nuth then it wont boot before u try new voltages research voltages for ur intel CPU and mobo maxes. Low wattage say 350-400watt PSU can stressout 2, mine is 750watt for OCing.

Hope this helps alittle yowl and make sure you have watercoolers or plenty of fans my old mobo had burn marks on it where the mosfits got hot through icreased power demand!

GOODLUCK MAN;)