1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

overclock or not

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by cookiemonster, Oct 17, 2012.

1. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi should i have a go at overclocking my new chip or should i be happy with the way it is, if overclocking what is the easiest and safest way.

NZXT Lexa S
    Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz,
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI Dual Thunderbolt 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
    XFX HD 6970 ATI - AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 2GB
    16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
    256GB Crucial RealSSD M4, 2.5" SATA
    Western Digital 750gb Hard Drive SATA111 7200rpm 64MB Cache-OEM Caviar Black
    Corsair 750 PSU
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
    Liteon DVD Writer
    24” Samsung SM2433BW Black Widescreen LCD, 1920x1200
    5.1 Creative Surround Speakers
    Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard
    Logitech MX516 Gaming Mouse
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Epson DX8400 All in one.

2. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    You will be happy with it at stock.
    If your Motherboard is anything like mire, it may just overclock the CPU by setting the RAM to XMP profile.
    XMP profile on my motherboard sets my CPU at 3.7Ghz.

I'm personally happy with how my rig performs and would be still if my CPU did not automatically overclock proportionally to the XMP RAM overclock.

cookiemonster says thanks.
  3. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Why wouldn't you? You payed for a k series chip use it.

xBruce88x and cookiemonster say thanks.
  4. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    What I would suggest if you don't want to increase temps or voltage much is note the temps and voltage while 100% loaded (prime95 works or other apps ).
    Then move up the multiplier (you can do the turbo ones if you like to keep speedstep an all ).
    then keep checking temps and voltage you can probably do 4.1-4.2ghz with small increase in temps and maybe little more with stock voltage . This give free OC (no added heat much) , of course you can go more but once you need to start cranking voltage of vcore the temps go up fast (this would probably happen around 4.5ghz .
    But other thing, what do you primary use your system for ?
    If its just games you probably not going to see much improvement unless you run multiple GPU's as the GPU is normally the bottleneck .

5. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi I set the ram to XMP profile a few days ago as my ram was only running at 1333mhz but i never noticed it pushe the cpu up, this is what it is running at now.

Attached Files:

6. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Keep it at stock as much as you can, power bills in UK is daylight robbery.

7. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Overclock or go home!

8. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I think this maybe a side effect of having a K series CPU when using XMP.
    Since the multiplier is unlocked, XMP profile gives the CPU a little boost as well.

If you're happy with that, then great.
    Simply upping the multiplier of the CPU a bit more should be fine if you want to run at 4Ghz.

9. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi I might just leave it as it is for now at leaste i know i can if need be in the future.
    thanks and regards

10. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    many MB makers have a option like "asus multi-core enhancement " which in default is set to auto , but does not kick in till you run a XMP profile . what this does is then run all cores at the highest speed.
    So if you have a 3570k that runs max of 3800 up to 2 cores and 3600 on all , it would run 3800 no mater the load .
    Other MB may call it something else .

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6214/multicore-enhancement-the-debate-about-free-mhz

11. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    I know my ram which is 1600mhz was only running at 1300mhz until I changed XMP to profile 1.

12. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That CPU would happily overclock in such a system. I'd disable any BIOS features that are pulling you along like a duck on a piece of string, and just increase that multiplier gently to a nice rounded clock figure (I know these things are capable of the high end of 4Ghz mark).

If you dont want the thing running hot, or power bills jumping up, I'd be more than pleased with that chip running anywhere between 4 and 4.2, but be aware there's plenty more juice in it.

Just increase your multiplier, but .5 every time is what i usually do, and you could even play with the CPU/NB and HT if you're feeling ballsy or have past overclocking experience.

My current FSB is at 200 with a multiplier of 23.5 - which nets me 4.7Ghz, with a CPU/NB of 2400mhz and HT of 2600mhz I think. Though I'm running on a Asus Sabertooth and a faildozer.

13. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I am sorry but you MUST overclock! why else would you (as some have already said) pay extra for a K series CPU??? rather than flush good money down the crapper, overclock it a little, you don't have to go mad, just a couple of hundred Mhz will give you a nice performance increase with little or no extra heat/volts..... think of it like this..... every additional Mhz you get is free.... why would you not want free? if you win the lottery will you give the TPU members all the money?, 200mhz on that chip probably means your end of year electric bill may be £10 more, how much would you pay for the next CPU up from yours? Probably £70.... good business imo :D

14. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Just take it to 4.2 or 4.4...Best of both worlds. Quiet, cool and you get to show why you bought an Intel with a 212 EVO. Nice parts BTW

15. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    Were are you able to set .5 multipliers , I have Asus P8Z77v pro and pretty sure the multiplier are only whole values .
    Edit: I see you have X58 MB so thought you were talking about Z77's .

cookiemonster : that is how it is AFAIK, the MB runs 1300 and then if your ram is rated higher , hopefully it has XMP profile you can just set or you have to do values manually .

16. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    This.

Since its the K series, the best way would be to just bump the multiplier up some. maybe one-up on the voltage setting, depending on how high you want to overclock. Doing it via the multiplier should avoid having to deal with the ram (hopefully... haven't had much experience with the newer intel stuff yet.)

there should be a manual that shows where all the O.C. settings are for your board

More than 25k PPD
  17. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Or you can overclock only when you need it, saving monies for beer :toast:

18. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    You can set it any way you want it, for me I left the staggered loading of speed vs load and just bumped them up few multipliers . The chip should stay pretty cool for first few bumps, after like 4.3-4.4 it seems to start getting hotter per raised multiplier

19. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    C states etc are exactly why you only need to do it once ;)

20. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    But beer :<

Well I can't argue with C states, IVB's power consumption is almost perfect. Although judging by my friend's numbers you will still see about £10/yr if you are leaving your computer turned on 24/7.

21. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
  22. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    about legit, yeah why not it's Intel, but i dunno how it actually works, but if i ever get an Ivy Bridge i will do it to be sure even it's rare a normal user with oc gets their cpu to burn off ^^

but again crank ur i5-3570K up to 4~4,4ghz is easy, than play around with the voltage bcs auto is just toooo high for it.

i noticed that on my i5-2500k at 4ghz auto is 1.256V and i can do stable 1.150V, and i am testing at 1.120V atm to see if that will work.