1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking 2500k ASUS

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Captainpoo, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Captainpoo

Captainpoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking to get a modest overclock of 4.0GHZ.

Specs:
    ASUS P8Z68-V LX
    2500k @ 3.7GHZ 1.3V (auto volts) & EIST disabled
    Arctic cooling freezer 13 pro
    Corsair 2x4GB vengeance 1600mhz 1.5v
    Corsair 650TX

I would like to achieve an overclock of 4.0GHZ but i can't find any quick guides of what to disable and enable etc and specific for an Asus UEFI Bios. I would like to also lower the voltage of 1.3V for the overclock, if that's possible. I know some of you out there would encourage me to hit 4.5GHZ, but I'm certain the motherboard doesn't have the greatest chipset heatsinks.

Thanks in return :)
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    4 Ghz on SB/IB is easy

Just set multiplier in bios to 40 and save then reboot. That chip should do that on stock voltage so leave all else on auto. once windows loads then check CPUz for voltages to make sure they are reasonable then do some stress testing with IntelBurnTest.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Why have you disabled EIST? As Brandon said, leave everything on default/auto and change only the multiplier ratio all cores to 40. At desktop 1600 MHz (multi 16) you'll have under 1.0 V while you'll reach 4GHz when needed under load.
  4. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have everything at default, 4.6 Ghz, manual voltage of 1.32, had 0 issues in last 12 months /shrug
  5. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    As others mentioned, no reason to disable speed stepping, it adjusts the multiplier on-the-fly to save power and reduce heat, and ramps up very quickly when more speed is needed. As for the 4 GHz OC, why bother? That's only a 300 MHz boost, and you won't really notice the difference until about 4200, still a totally safe OC, especially with that cooler. Even at 4200 no other changes are needed, just set multiplier to 42. And if the temps start looking too scary, lower the CPU volts to 1.2 manually, or set for + offset .30-.35 and try that. Don't be afraid to adjust settings, just use common sense.
  6. Captainpoo

Captainpoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK guys i had a look at other peoples results with this board and most have been good at remaining their overclocks, but the Vcore control relies on an offset +/- instead of manually inputting the voltage. Well i updated my bios to the latest one (4001) and used the Asus OC tuner to get it to automatically overclock. After it finished, it got to 4.3ghz which i reduced to 4.1ghz. I changed the BCLK to 100.0MHZ, manually set RAM timings and Volts, Left CPU Vcore on auto which seems to fluctuate from 1.26 to 1.28V at 4.1GHZ, left everything else on auto and passed IBT here:

[​IMG]

I'm a bit concerned with CPU TIN, but think the CPUTIN is messed up on HWMonitor because it idles at 90C but goes to 24C when on full load (IBT). I think I'll ignore that.

Do you guys recommend running Prime or is IBT 10 runs on very high as good as it gets?
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  7. Captainpoo

Captainpoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I seem to have a weird EEEE-EEEE-EEEE-EEEE noise coming from the cpu area after overclocking. What could this be? It comes and goes.

Forums with people with similar problems say disabling C3,C6 reports and EIST from the motherboard fixes this weird noise. I'll try it out.
  8. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Try HWiNFO64, it gives you the option to disable some of the Asus sensors that cause high resource use, and it reads all my sensors accurately (the only program that does!). All the others I tried had some kind of bug or conflict. You can also right-click any reading and pin it to the system tray so you can always see it.
  9. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    I have same issue with cputin with Hwmonitor I get max temps of 67c but the realtime never goes above 30's .

So I have been using OpenHardwareMonitor as it also has more data, fan speeds etc plus it has graph for temps .

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/
  10. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    hmm have u tired some lower voltage on that i5-2500k?

mine does 4ghz at 1.155v in bios with speedstep and all that on, in my Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 and 4.5ghz at 1.280v even i give it 1.300v when it runs at that speed even 4ghz is enough for me.
  11. Captainpoo

Captainpoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK that weird noise has gone. I'm not sure what could cause a noise close to the CPU that seems to come and go every 2 minutes or so. I went into the bios and reset everything to factory stock settings, then manually changed settings to get the RAM at 1600mhz @ 1.5V, CPU to 4.00GHZ at auto volts. I turned C1E off and have C3 and C6 on auto. Seems to have made the funny noise go.

The motherboard uses the offset mode of changing voltage. The auto is at 1.3V at 3.7GHZ and 1.31V at 4.0GHZ. Can anyone give me a summary of what to do because if i do -0.05 from my current 1.31v @ 4.0GHZ, it would surely go to 1.26v?
  12. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    OpenHardwareMonitor was my favorite until I built this new Ivy Br. system, then it started to give crazy sensor readings (conflicts with Asus sensors?) so I found HWiNFO64 and it reads consistently and accurately, and lets me ignore the problem sensors. Of course, this is with an i5-3570 and Asus P8Z77-V, your mileage may vary with other configs.
  13. xxdozer322

xxdozer322

Thanks Received:
    this, it was that easy for me, im at 4.4 with idle temps ~31c hasnt hit 60c at full load yet.
  14. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    ok, I don't have any of Asus apps loaded, I assume you mean Asus probe .I hate having stuff loaded at startup if I never going to use it much .

I have similar system as you, Asus P8Z77 v pro, with i5-3570k . I could use either but like the extra info with openhardware monitor , plus the gadget on desktop and system icon temp .