1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking CPU - Lifetime ?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by xubidoo, Nov 30, 2008.

1. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok ive just upgraded a friend of mine to this

E2160 1.8ghz @ 3.0ghz (gaming load temps around 52c)
    MSI P43 Board
    BFG 8800GTS OC2 320mb
    2x1gb Gskill ddr2 6400

they are very happy with it as they can now run virtually all there games maxed out (1280*1024 max res) ,but i was wondering with the CPU overclocked by a fair bit ,is it likely to severely shorten its life ?
    As really they probably wont be able to afford a cpu upgrade for a good while ,probably a year or so.
    I be gutted for them if having it clocked to that speed is likely to kill the chip in say 6 mnths?

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    not likely to kill it. each generation of CPU has a voltage that kills them, i cant remember what it was for the E2xx0 series but they didnt need to be very high for 3GHz.

Theres an easy rule here: test how hot it got at stock, and upgrade the cooling so it doesnt go past that temperature on the new cooling when OC'd.

Example: if it loaded at 60C at 1.8GHz on the stock cooler, make it so it runs at 60C or under at 3GHz.

xubidoo says thanks.
  3. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    they r using the stock cooler atm ,i suppose it would be a good idea to get them say a freezer pro or something to help with temps.

gaming its fine at around 52/54c but in prime95 it did hit 72c.

4. casper250c New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nah like Mussels said as long as you don't fry it with the volts and keep it cool you wont hurt it.. I have an e6600 that I've been running at 3.4ghz for the last 6 months (stock is 2.4ghz) and its still going strong.. My old e4500 was the same ran it at 3.1 ghz and it never skipped a beat it's now living in my mothers computer..

Like Mussels said keep it cool and you won't have any issues..

xubidoo says thanks.
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    the number people come up with varies but as long as your not pushing something crazy like 1.8v your going to be fine and even @1.8v its not going to die for a while look at me specs the celeron ran for 2 days @2v when i was trying to get a higher oc

6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    70C+ is too hot. replace the cooler asap.

xubidoo says thanks.