1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

overclocking, gpu and memory, pros and cons.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Blazer1, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Blazer1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is my first venture into overclocking a graphics card and I have a few questions. The card I am working with is a Sapphire HD3870 GDDR4, stock speeds- gpu 776- memory 1126.

I can easily overclock the gpu from 776 to 875, this stable but gets hot so I settled on 860, stays around 55c-60c. This gives a nice fps increase in games.:D

The memory is were I am having problems. It will take very little overclock, something like 1126 to 1141, anymore and it locks up, the temps stay the same?:confused: If I drop the gpu speed down around 850 I can go a little higher on the memory, maybe 1126 to 1155, but that is it!

Why does the memory not want to overclock, does it have anything to do with it being GDDR4? Should I compromise the gpu overclock for a little more memory overclock?:)
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    I have found with most cards I have, the higher the GPU core is, the less the memory will over clock. Not sure for this reason, maybe power draw become too unbalanced or something. But I would go though and find what combination of core and memory setting give you the best FPS increase.