1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking I5 2500 temps.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Link108, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Link108

Link108

Thanks Received:
    My I5 @ 4GHz, BLCK 105.5, and 1.387v will reach 77C. When running IntelBurnTest. Is that to high? Thanks.

Update: When running games, it will hit between 55-60C. I believe that it is ok, just wanting some feedback.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  2. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    4 GHz?

Your temps are a little high for such a small overclock, even on air - have you tried dropping vcore a little at a time and stability testing at each new voltage? Your CPU was binned as non-K for a reason, the reason probably being that tiny flaws in the die keep it from overclocking well. I don't know why anyone would buy a non-K CPU for the same price as the K model, even if not intending to overclock - the K CPU is higher quality silicon by definition. Unless it came in a pre-built system or package deal.
    Anyway, your temps could be a bit lower, so try playing with vcore and other voltages, and go as low as you can and still pass IBT and Prime95. If it can run those stress tests without errors, it can run anything you throw at it without crashing. And I try to keep even IBT temps below 70c, to avoid long term degradation of the chip.
  3. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    You need to provide more info and photos of the air cooler. How many fans, case fans, photos of inside case. perhaps thermalpaste no applied correctly, ect....
  4. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Why did you change BCLK? Just leave it at 100 and set the multi to 40 if you only want 4.0ghz. What cooler are you using. My 2500k at 1.36v at 4.5GHZ never gets higher then 60c in prime 95 and 50c in games.
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Yep just change the multiplier. Leave the other stuff alone. Mine is 70c at 4.5 Ghz with prime 62c when gaming
  6. Link108

Link108

Thanks Received:
    COOLER MASTER HAF 922, Cooler Master Hyper 212+ with intake and exhaust fan. Furthermore, front 200, side 200, rear 120, two top 120's, bottom 120. I have GTX 670. I am using HW monitor. It will only go as high as 38X multiplier, 3.8GHz and the temps are similar to 4GHz. It is hitting 71C on prime, IntelBurnTest is harder on Cpu's. I think it's my case, I thought about replacing it.
  7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Leave the voltage stock. Reapply the paste just a grain of rice and dont spread it and try to run the screws down evenly.
  8. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    You Should Be Able To Just Type In Your Multiplier In The Bios. What Motherboard Do You Have?
  9. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    It's not what motherboard. He has a 2500, not a 2500K.
    INSTG8R says thanks.
  10. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Oh. I Figured Since He Is Overclocking He Had The K Chip. Just Missed Adding It To The Title Of The Thread.

OP: Drop Your Voltage To Stock. That's Most Likely Where All Your Heat Is Coming From. 1.38V Is Stupid High For 4.0ghz
  11. terrastrife New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you really ask this? Really?! I wonder how many people have overclocked 920's here.

But let's answer the question. Yes your temps are fine, your voltages however could be a bit lower to ensure safety of the CPU.
    Link108 says thanks.
  12. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I Overclocked A 920 When I Had One Because It Had Bclk Overclocking Where Sandy Beside Chips Don't. It's All Done With Multipliers And The K Chips Are The Only Ones That Allow Tweaking Of The Multi. Changing Bclk On Sandy Bridge Chips To Try And Change Clock Can Actually Mess Stuff Up IIRC
  13. Link108

Link108

Thanks Received:
    It's on auto voltage, Asrock Extreme 3 mobo. I needed more voltage, otherwise I'd have issues. Every, cpu is different.
  14. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Sandy/Ivy BCLK generally has a 3-5% tolerance. Up to ~7% if you're lucky or disable a number of things.
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  15. terrastrife New Member

Thanks Received:
    How can you manage to type like that?

Just because you don't doesn't mean other people can't. By your logic you shouldn't change your multiplier either because that Can Actually Mess Stuff Up.
  16. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I Know That. You Shouldn't Be Changing Shit On A Non K Chip Anyways.
    Aquinus says thanks.
  17. terrastrife New Member

Thanks Received:
    You Shouldn't Be Changing Shit On Any CPU Anyways.
    Aquinus says thanks.
  18. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    First of all, I was on my phone and for some reason TPU app likes to capitalize all the first letters of every word when I type.

And second of all, no your completely clueless to what I'm saying. 920 like most of the Nehalem chips that weren't unlocked were overclocked by setting the multiplier and changing BCLK and a lot of other shit. With Sandy Bridge chips overclocking is done by the multiplier(take to anything 40x, 45x, 50x, etc. increase voltage and test), and then like Maban said, you can change BCLK but only by about 3-5 percent, and then your very lucky if you can do more.

Andwith Link's chip, I wouldn't be changing any of that shit anyways, and definitely not running that much voltage through it either, as I have talked to cadaveca a lot about overclocking Sandy and Ivy bridge, and how Sandy bridge begins to degrade when your around 1.38v mark.

Okay now you are just trolling. You have not provided any helpful info to this thread that the OP can benefit from. good bye :p

@Link108

Your temps are okay, but they could be a lot lower, the 1.38v that you say the chip is running at, has a lot to do with that heat. try and remove the auto voltage and set it to like 1.3v and see what happens. then go lower and lower till you can't post anymore. Or just reset your bios and leave everything as is and you should be fine.
    Aquinus says thanks.
  19. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Flaw with your logic:

skt1366 didn't have K edition CPUs and had no problem overclocking the bclk. On Sandy however it's tied to the PCI-E clockgen along with other things that really like 100Mhz. You won't be able to push the BCLK any higher.

The only non-k SB chip (excluding extreme editions,) is the i7 3820 and that's because it has a flexible bclk, so I don't need turbo to overclock. The 3820 can also do 130Mhz bclk so it's not a problem.

Non-k edition skt1155 chips don't overclock well. I think you'll be hard pressed to get an OC higher than 4Ghz.

You're also acting like a tool. You can't compare the 920 to the 2500. 1.38v is also pretty high for this CPU. I can under-volt my overclock at 4Ghz more often than not.

Finally, this is TechPowerUp. Saying stuff like this:
    Is the fastest way to get labelled a troll on TPU. Unless you're going to help the OP and tell him something that he doesn't already know, I recommend that you stop before you really do get in trouble.
  20. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    ^^ Absolutely this. :rockout:
    Aquinus says thanks.
  21. terrastrife New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm the only person who has actually replied to the OPs question (besides MxPhenom who said pretty much the same thing 8 posts later but didn't answer the question), no idea what the rest of you are on about.

Aquinis, the top clocks are all a combination of multi and base, no matter what platform you're on. 1366 didn't have K CPUs, they had X CPUs, even still it's a combination of both multi and base to achieve optimal clock speed. You are saying that everyone SHOULDN'T change the base clock because it's not safe, or isn't ideal, that is the complete wrong assumption. Not everyone has the luxury of a K series CPU, just because they don't have one why shouldn't they overclock?

So, why you all taking the piss on me for answering the question, I have no idea.
  22. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So in one post you state that they shouldn't be trying to over clock and then in another asking why shouldn't they over clock...
    I am confused by your posts to say the least.
    marsey99 and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. terrastrife New Member

Thanks Received:
    MxPhenom has said that if you don't have a K CPU you shouldn't be overclocking (because they are the only ones that allow tweaking, his words). I have argued against this.

Where you quoted me first, I was counter proposing that MrPhenom shouldn't overclock because he was doing something that wasn't recommended (the overclock of anything at all), because it went against his own belief.
  24. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    It's because on SB and IVB increasing the base clock can cause the SATA controller and other devices on the PCI-E bus to become unstable. Yeah, if you like corrupted data on your hard drive or video card errors, yeah, have a blast and overclock the bclk as much as you want. The point is that on most boards it won't go higher than 103Mhz and if you're luck maybe 106Mhz, but your sacrificing the stability of things your computer relies on and doesn't need to be overclocked.

The non-K edition chips on socket 1155 do not overclock well. We're not saying you can't do it, we're saying that you shouldn't do it with the bclk, we're saying you're not going to get a lot out of it and for what you get out of it the wrong things are likely to become unstable since you don't have the unlocked multiplier. That is what you're misunderstanding.

So your right, we're telling the user that he can't OC much. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. It simply can't. So before you start trolling how about you do a little research before getting your panties in a bunch.
  25. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Ahh did I see the 2500 as his CPU?