1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking in Asus MOBO

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by swchoi89, Sep 19, 2012.

1. swchoi89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    HI Guys,

I have i5-3570K, with P8Z77-V LK mobo. I have NO idea how to overclock.

Does anyone know how? I understand the concept of multiplier and such but I just can't find the menu for it in the BIOS.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    I am no expert as I have been out of loop as far as OC .

But first I would DL the manual

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_LK/#download

I just got a P8Z77V-Pro so been reading throw features .

I didn't check all features of your MB but since is comes with Asus suite II you have few options .
    Using the turbo V there 2 auto clocking features that the MB will fine tune to what it thinks is max for system (it will reboot and fine tune by itself ) . Only thing I would check if you go that route is make sure core voltage don't go to high . from what I read around web stay below 1.3v even with good cooling as temps go way high even on water . there some vids out there to show how Asus software works . I ran across a few right at newegg when buying MB .

Newegg TV: Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide with ASUS...

The you can OC in bios manually in Ai tweaker menu , there you can set multiplier, FSB (bclk ) , core voltages etc. many settings there .

I can't give you any recommending settings as I haven't really tried them . but you might want to check the vid cause it gives info on many valves even though there talking about auto-OC .

Whatever you do go slow if doing it manually and check temps, stability etc .
    You need a decent cooler with these chips or temps will be way high .
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    swchoi89 says thanks.
  3. swchoi89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, thanks for the response.

I sort of figured it out, here's the problem:

When I say OC, I thought it meant the CPU will constantly be running at 4.3Ghz. But I realized that it REACHES 4.3Ghz when it needs it to be, otherwise it stays at lower frequency (silly me! lol).

I went to the AI Tweaker in the Advanced Mode, set the multiplier to 42 by selecting manual. I heard from somewhere that you should NOT select auto for OC options for some reason...
  4. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    there are few ways the multipliers can be setup , you can set non turbo multiplier, turbo multiplier and set all to same max speed .

By default Intel has speed step which sets the multiplier by like 50% so you run 1600 , then there the base 34 multiplier and then the turbo multipliers which boost according to # of cores in demand .
    So you can set it up how ever you like , many set turbo to all cores same max .

Also you can basically disable speedstep by using a power profile of high-performance in windows too, if you check advanced settings there a min % cpu will go into at idle .

So there lots of options depending on what you want .
  5. swchoi89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah I see, so you CAN adjust the minimm frequency level at its idle level? I didn't know that, but I don't see any benefit in it if my CPU will automatically adjust its clock speed when necessary.
  6. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    Yes, if speedstep is left enabled in bios (default is on ) in any of power profiles you can set min % speed . for example balanced is set to 5% so it allows lowest clock (for 3570's = 1600mhz) .the high-performance profile has min % set to 100% so it will not go to 1600, it be much higher clock at idle .
    It is under advance options "processor power management>min processor rate .

PS you can enable or disable power options like speed step, C1E (turbo modes) , etc in bios too .
    swchoi89 says thanks.
  7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Overclocking is easy now a days. Just pick a speed and go. Try 4.0 Ghz first. Then check temps when running prime95
    swchoi89 says thanks.
  8. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Don't worry, boards hardly ever get "bricked" any more. If your settings are too high or your power limits too low, it will bluescreen and reset, and usually boot after 2 or 3 resets without clearing the CMOS. Modern mobos have recovery from bad overclocks built in, so it's hard to permanently kill one. Like the man said pick a number, any number!....as long as it's between 39 and 50, preferably not over 45. And just see what happens. Then play with manual volt settings to lower temps while remaining stable. There are no rules except common sense (don't try a large OC on a stock cooler, for instance, and never let temps get over 90c). Often you can OC your RAM as well, usually by just setting the speed to the next bin (1600 to 1800, for example), and trying it, and if it won't boot or isn't stable when tested, then loosen the timings one number (9-9-9-24-1t to 10-10-10-25-1t, for example. RAM is quirky, sometimes just one of the numbers being wrong can cause boot failure, so play with it until it's stable. Like I said, you can't hurt anything if you have a good CPU cooler and watch your temps at all times (at least until you've tested thoroughly at those speeds and know what temps to expect).