1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking & MPEG-1

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by pro_hz, Feb 2, 2008.

1. pro_hz

pro_hz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello people, my first post :)

I've just "successfully" overclocked my E6550 to 3.15Ghz(1800mhz FSB) on a XFX680iLT MoBo with stock cooler & voltage. I also successfully ran 12+ hrs of Prime95 & 8+ hrs of OCCT without any errors :toast: . BUT still I think the system is not stable yet. The problem I'm having is very peculiar. My PC freezes randomly while playing any mpeg-1 files in WMP's default encoder mostly while seeking and this problem I'm sure is caused by the overclocking as it happens only when I'm on FSB above 1500Mhz.
    I've tried it on both windowsXPsp2 & Vista-32 premium, same results, with different versions of WMP. If I use any other encoder with WMP like libavcodec or use players like VLC this problem doesn't occur. But its really bugging me that the overclocking is making something unstable :twitch: .

Here are a few more details about my system-
    Voltages -> core - 1.31, FSB - 1.4, SPP - 1.4, Memory - 1.9
    Temperatures -> CPU - 29c(idle) 61c(maximum), system - 25c
    RAM -> 2x1GB Transcend Jetflash DDR2 800Mhz(5-5-5-18)
    Graphics -> XFX 8600GT
    Power Supply -> Cooler Master iGreenpower 500W

All the drivers & BIOS versions are upto date.

Please through some light on this mystery :respect:

2. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What speed is thr RAM running at? You will have to use the 1:1 divider.

pro_hz says thanks.
  3. pro_hz

pro_hz New Member

Thanks Received:
    :respect: thanks for the quick reply. I tried upping RAM to 900MHz & lowering the FSB to 1600Mhz to get 1:1 ratio, no use. 1530Mhz is the maximum FSB where this problem doesn't exist. In the BIOS FSB & memory clock mode is set to unlinked.

4. pro_hz

pro_hz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unlinked

5. pro_hz

pro_hz New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I've just figured it out.
    This problem happens when the FSB speed is equal or larger than Memory speed. In my case the FSB was 450Mhz & Memory 400Mhz(tried 450 too).But in both these cases the PC was locking up.
    What I tried this time was increasing the memory speed to 480Mhz while keeping the FSB @ 450Mhz. The other case I tried was lowering the FSB to 400Mhz while pushing the memory to 450Mhz. The computer ran stable this time while looping an mpeg clip for an hour(before it used to freeze within few minutes). To be sure I played the video under stress too, ie looping the video clip while OCCT running in the background.
    So this is it, but why ? Is this because of my RAM sticks ? I don't think its the MoBo as the same thing happened in my XFX 650i Ultra also. Or its the proccy ?