1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking Radeon 6950 - what's the best you can get?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by jonathan1107, Mar 17, 2011.

1. warup89

Thanks Received:
    Because I want it to stay OC'ed 24/7, and wont have to change the clocks manually every time I want to play a game or bench. I tried reinstalling MSI AB, but no luck :shadedshu
  2. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    Yah, you should be able to OC with MSI AB... Worst case scenario... don't set it to start the OC at startup...

Did you disable Ulps?
  3. scooper22

scooper22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can tell AB to set a profile on startup.

AFAIR with the new 69xx cards it is not possible to change clock speed and fan profile in AB.
    - The clock speed is verified by the driver and bootup stops if the driver detects a manipulation.
    - The fan is controlled by the driver, so changes here are not kept (see here).

Regarding your screenshot:
    - blue rectange - fan control - no effect as described above
    - yellow rectange - clock control - boot lock as described above
    - red rectangle - voltage control - the voltages of the 69xx are NOT controlled by the select box here but are changed by the button "GPU registers" in the box "Voltage registers" on the bottom of the screen. Here you enter the four voltages for the four power states
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    warup89 says thanks.
  4. warup89

Thanks Received:
    The new release of AB allows you to change such settings now. I will try to find the best configuration of software OC since I heard that the new CCC [11.] will give you a BSOD due to modded BIOS.
  5. scooper22

scooper22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, dammit. I meant the BIOS changes with RBE are useless because of driver checks. With AB you can change core/mem/voltage after boot with a profile, so the driver doesn't complain. I'm sorry, I mixed the abbreviations while typing. :D
    warup89 says thanks.
  6. warup89

Thanks Received:
    No prob bud, I just noticed that I've been using AB while overdrive in CCC was disabled, which might be the source of the BSOD's. I going to try this again later on today as I' am at work now.
  7. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    MSI AB will disable what you choose in CCC. If you are getting bsod's using MSIAB after a reinstall, try what jonathon1107 suggested and disable ulps in the registry. Since you are running 2x6950's, that should take away the bsod when applying any change in MSiAB.
    Crunching for Team TPU 5 Million points folded for TPU
  8. warup89

Thanks Received:
    How do you disable Ulps? some of the sites that explain it, are currently blocked at my work place. ><
  9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Using the Run command type in: regedit

Ctrl+F and type in ULPS.

Change value from 1 to 0 for all instances of ULPS.

Restart.

Done. :)
    BababooeyHTJ and warup89 say thanks.
  10. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Or just use Sapphire Trixx. I'm sick of jumping through hoops with afterburner.
  11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Does Trixx work okay with AMD overdrive in CCC? Meaning can I have Overdrive unlocked in CCC and it won't mess up with using Trixx?
  12. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    It seems to work fine. If you go over the official limits the core and memory clock sliders disappear like they do with afterburner. They will show up again in CCC when you reset everything to default settings. Powertune also still works in CCC.

The only thing that doesn't work properly in Trixx is the fan profile. I still use Afterburner for that and the OSD.
    erocker says thanks.
  13. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    Using MSI AB, what's the fastest The 6950 can go? I mean... is there a limit? It looks like you can input any voltage, and get the card up to 1000/1600 mhz if you wanted to...

Let me know what you think (don't worry... I'm not about to fry my cards :O)
  14. warup89

Thanks Received:
    Alright guys, This is what I plan to do:

• -Use reg fix in CCC to raise OC limits
    • -Mod the voltage on my BIOS trough RBE
    • -Use either Trixx or AB for fan profiles

Someone said earlier that I was choosing the wrong option on the pic that i posted. So to be sure, in RBE should i go to:

*Clock Settings*
    -Voltage Registers
    >GPU registers
    VID4 [1065 -> 1250]?

EDIT:
    I just did the reg mod, disabled ULPS & raised the the OC limit, but after restart. I saw that the sliders that control the clock speed has dissapeared, although the fan control still present.
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  15. sy5tem

Thanks Received:
    i am running my 6950 at 1000mhz core 1.35VGPU with 1300mhz ram on watercooling 40C at max doing F@H or furmark.

i've seen ppl go higher but .. i don't know its stable!

btw im using AB with a modified EXE's to pass 1.3 volts limits on core. cause at 1.3 1000mhz is not stable,.
  16. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    the only disappointing thing about Overclocking the 6950 is it doesn't give you much of an FPS increase @ max settings in games... I've tested 840/1325, 925/1350, 975,1475... for mhz/mhz speeds... and honestly, it only yields about 1-4 extra FPS... Altho it does help making your higher FPS moments steady (like if you had 55 and kept dropping to 50, it will stabelize it... but nothing more...)

Oh... and btw the numbers I just gave are for 2 "unlocked shaders" 6950 in crossfire... so you get the picture now...

Maybe if it was possible and stable to OC the 6950 to 1250/1800 mhz, then we'd be talking...
    Oh and I have one more question regarding the GTX 580 from nvidia...

I've heard so much people say it's better than a 6950... but doesn't it have lower speeds? why is it sold 200$ more than the 6950?

Let me know what you think about the difference between the gtx 580 vs the radeon 6950...

And Lastly, what is your point of view about NVIDIA vs ATI video cards???
  17. sy5tem

Thanks Received:
    well nvidia does push more perfromance per raw clock speed its either software or hardware related.. they make better card for now..

but 1 thing i know is that nvidia always ad the best drivers with all my ati/nvidia card.

like now im thinkin i am gona sell my unlocked 6950 and get an nvidia, tired of CCC not opening and overscan/underscan problem (some game are smaller then actual screen).