1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking with the Asus P5L VM-1394

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by swimdude0614, Mar 13, 2008.

1. swimdude0614

swimdude0614 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, this board is mine. I bought it when I first started getting into computers, and I had the money for a new one.... before I learned about RAID setups and all the stuff that I wish I now knew.

I've got it paired with the E6300 and 1 stick of Kingston ValueRAM DDR2 667. The problem is that when I overclock the FSB past 310, the ethernet doesn't work. It's not a Windows problem either, I have this machine dual booting XP and Ubuntu 7.10 and it's not working there either. Windows is stable at higher FSB... but my life is on the internet so what's the point?

If anyone knows of a way to fix this problem, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

David

2. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you have the ram scaling up with your overclock?

3. swimdude0614

swimdude0614 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah. i've got it set to auto, with the bottom of the three settings. 310 FSB.... i don't exactly remember what that meant for the RAM. i'm amazed how well the kingston VALUERAM is holding up. i've run Memtest86+ for hours on end and found no errors.

If this is part of the problem, then I'd greatly appreciate someone pointing me towards a website that will teach me about overclocking memory. Wikipedia taught me well enough about overclocking processors and just what exactly it is that i'm doing, but i still have no idea how the memory timings work and what they are - which is part of why i don't touch the manual RAM settings.

4. aximbigfan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi David, nice to see you found your way over here...

RAM timings are a little tricky sometimes. You can go either tighter (change the series of numbers for better performance, but more stress) or you can give them some slack and bring the series out a little for less stress on the memory. The more you pump the freq on the RAM, the looser the timings.

Those are like the lowest term I can put it in, although I'm sure you mroe advanced than that...

Chris

5. swimdude0614

swimdude0614 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol. yes. well... right now i don't know anything more than what's in the Gigabyte board's manual sittin' under my bed. if anyone knows a site that describes everything (or enough to know how to oc my ram) in detail i would greatly appreciate it if you'd post it! thanks!

6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you;'re on the site that describes everything. You're best option is to ask what the things do, and we can explain it.

Memory timings: measured in latency, so lower numbers are faster. Lower numbers are also less stable (more stress) so if you're overclocking you loosen (raise to a higher number) the timings to reduce the stress on the ram.

EG, ram that does 800MHz at 4-4-4-12 might do 1000 at 5-5-5-15.